Two different systems for fingerstyle classical guitar - what is the difference

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I just noticed tonight that there is two different systems for fingering on classical guitar. I understand the meaning of PIMA and which fingers the letters apply to. I play thumb P on strings 6,5,4 and I on 3, M on 2, and A on 1st string. Please explain the other system. Thank you, johnnysmash.

There must be more than 2 ways for sure.

About 2 ways what comes to my mind is apoyando (rest stroke) and tirando (free stroke). When I used to play classical guitar, in my youth, I always used the free strokes with my thumb.

But after reading what Andres Segovia sayed about apoyando with thumb, I used that in my brief digress to classical guitar. It gives the needed volume especially if no thumb nail. And is certainly different technique from free stroke.

From what I understand the free strokes are preferred by many with thumb nail play though.

BTW Johnny, I bought myself a keyboard. I don't have your finger problems ... yet. But it is good to prepare if any coming ;)

Last edited:
BTW Johnny, I bought myself a keyboard. I don't have your finger problems ... yet. But it is good to prepare if any coming

Yes Jarmo, that is correct. I already play piano, so far not classical. If I did play classical numbers, which I might, I would probably use my own base line with the composers right hand notation.

My theropist said that the piano is easier on the hand. Not to mention one can almost do..., well nothing much on the left hand and still get by if things do get rough.

It hard also a keyboard replacing a strumming ukulele as accompaniment.

This keyboard has 100 different rhythms and almost 400 different instrument voices, so it can be almost an orchestra. But the automatic accompaniment is an automation. I can't change the rhythm pattern just like with uke or guitar on the fly.
And then, well, the non automatic piano has never been either something to replace a strum of a stringed instrument in my opinion. No matter how talented some pianist is.

Good this has a touch (velocity) sensitivity, so as a melody play instrument it can match many others.

In 1997 I picked up my first guitar. played accompaniment for about two years. Got bored. Went to piano. Learned to play solo piano from an entertainer. He taught me his way of playing. So today I play accompaniment to nothing. I strum, some, but very little. I do not sing so the instrument must carry the melody and accompaniment on guitar, ukulele, or piano. On piano I do not use any of the stuff they provide for rhythm and instrument voices. LH fingering and RH fingering plus sustain peddle is all I use.

I wish to learn maybe how to accompany myself with a keyboard instrument, without the automation. Something like a piano can be wonderful and these days also almost portable. Can't be used in rain though.

I mean't that one can't use a piano/keyboard to emulate a strum effect from ukulele or guitar. It is such an unique sound with chucks, chunks, rapid rhythm changes etc. When so many other things can be just easily done, like even replacing a bass guitar in a band.

Hi Johnny, are you by any chance referring to numbers instead of the letters PIMA? If so, these numbers refer to the fretting hand fingers to use (left hand if you play right handed). The first finger is the index finger, 2nd middle, 3rd Ring, 4th Pinky on your fretting hand.

If this is not what you are referring to then please give an example of what you are referring to so I can try and help you further.

I'm sorry I never answered this post until now. Some how I got sidetracked. Too many things at once. I still do not know how to upload and send on this computer. My wife has a new partner who is sharp on computer. I think I will get her to teach me how to add stuff and move it around and upload to forums.

Any way here is a reference to a piece of music that has what I was talking about. Etude No 1 Op.44 with tab fingering by Fernando Sor. I downloaded it from Allen Mathews LLC http://www.classicalguitarshed.com/.

In the second measure of the first line it is marked to use "i" where the way I learned I should use "p" for the "d note". Again in measure 3 it is marked to use "p" where I was taught to use "i".

If you can help me with this information, good. If not, later on I will be trying to upload a copy of the score. Either Way, Thank you, and again I am sorry it took so long.

I just listened to her play. Yes, she is great. I do not believe she ever used her ring finger, "a" even once. She appeared to use only p i m. That and a few other things I have noticed on u-tube leads me to believe that what ever works best for oneself is what should be used. I do like string 1 a, 2 m, 3 i, and 4 thru 6 using p for the most part.

In the second measure of the first line it is marked to use "i" where the way I learned I should use "p" for the "d note". Again in measure 3 it is marked to use "p" where I was taught to use "i".

Fingering is often marked in play-ability. Sometimes "p" is used for stress instead. The marked fingering is intention of writer. Red circled part may be in best play-ability.

Thank you. That makes it clear. It is sort of what I was think but I was not sure. From the little that I can play I am so use to playing strings 6-1, p p p i m a my fingers automatically go that way.

Top Bottom