New Pernambuco Tenor from Ono

saltytri

Reaction score
Pernambuco is among the rarest of tone woods and its tonal qualities are often compared favorably with the most sought-after rosewoods. It is also prized for the beauty of its grain and unique color.

This tenor has a standard 17” scale and 14 frets to the body. The top is Adirondack spruce with mild bearclaw figure. The body is finished with glossy lacquer. The neck is Honduran mahogany chosen to match the color of the body and finished with epoxy rubbed to a satin sheen, which I find to be both easily playable and durable. The fret board is radiused and fitted with gold EVO frets to match the gold Gotoh tuners. Thuya burl was chosen for the rosette to complement the color of the back and sides.

Strung low G with TI basses and Savarez trebles, the tone is as advertised for pernambuco:

"Pernambuco is the equal of BRW tonally, although it is different. It tends to be more balanced: less "glassy" in the trebles, and has a little less tendency to boom in the bass. Overall just a beautiful, balanced, articulate tone, vibrant in all registers." (http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com/wood-details-n-q.html)

31181782147_68d9aff5ee_c.jpg

46120883901_53ea162191_c.jpg

31181782287_6490f3e17f_c.jpg

45397088584_85c4bcc571_c.jpg

Lovely. I had only known of pernambuco as a wood used for bows for orchestral strings.

Dadburn, that sure is pretty David! Well done!!!

Ohhh, that's beautiful! Someone is going to have an amazing ukulele when they buy that.

Wow!!! Another stunner David!!! So tastefully designed and executed. And great string choices. It has to sound fabulous!!!

Last edited:
Lovely. I had only known of pernambuco as a wood used for bows for orchestral strings.

Yes, it's the preferred wood for bows and isn't easy to get even in the narrower sizes.

Thanks to all for your kind encouragement! :)

Nice. Does the wood live up to the description?

Clean, beautiful design. Lovely wood. Just fabulous work David.

Nice. Does the wood live up to the description?

In brief, very much so. I'm sure that pernambuco would be much better known if it weren't so scarce in sizes and quality suitable for acoustic instruments.

Last edited:
Very interesting. I'm not afraid to ask, what does that uke cost?

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Damn beautiful instrument David. It’s such a joy to see such well crafted instruments. Congratulations to you and to the lucnew owner.

Top Bottom