Uke Scene in Bristol, UK.

Osprey

Reaction score
My wife is from the UK and family matters are bringing us to Bristol over the Christmas season. We won’t be able to travel far and wide on this trip but if there is something ukulele related happing around Bristol I might be able to go. How about decent music shops that carry ukuleles?
Any input from our UK members would be appreciated.

My wife is from the UK and family matters are bringing us to Bristol over the Christmas season. We won’t be able to travel far and wide on this trip but if there is something ukulele related happing around Bristol I might be able to go. How about decent music shops that carry ukuleles?
Any input from our UK members would be appreciated.

I’m not from Bristol but have a little knowledge which might get you started.

If you are wanting to buy Uke stuff in the U.K. then expect it to cost much more than it would in the USA, we import from the USA (which has a cost) and there’s a 20% purchase tax here too. Love Ukes, who are a bit south of Bristol, might be worth a look. https://www.loveukes.co.uk. They also offer a large range of Ukes on eBay U.K.

There is a large Uke Club in Bristol and some of their players are really good, try this: https://www.sites.google.com/site/bristolukulelejam . As a man of age you’d probably be fine to attend a U3A meet-up too, the playing will likely not be great but they still have a good time. I’d also be inclined to email Love Ukes - maybe telephone then once you are here too - and ask about local groups, they might be helpful. Hobgoblin music have a Store in the centre of Bristol, it’s more folk music type stuff but they do sell some Ukes and you might enjoy a look. Liam Kirby, the Luthier, is Bristol based. His products are first class and he’s as nice a chap as you could wish to meet, http://www.wunderkammerinstruments.co.uk .

The traffic in Bristol is typically dreadful, and if you want to go to Bournemouth (from there) then expect the journey to take well over three hours.

I hope that that is a useful start. There are U.K. members who live not too far from Bristol, certainly there is one in Bath (Bath Bird?) and that’s say 15 miles away. I think that Jim Avery is about 20 miles East of Bristol too.

Good luck and enjoy your stay. I’m happy for you to PM me if I can help you further.

Last edited:
Yes I'm based in Corsham. I don't know the Bristol scene at all.

It might be worth keeping an eye on The Hot Potato Syncopators who are based in Bath, but seem to perform only very occasionally. I'm ashamed to say I've not seen them live myself yet, but their CD is good.

Chippenham is easy to reach by train from Bristol. Their uke jam at the Three Crowns is very popular. Get there early if you want a seat. https://sites.google.com/site/cukuleles/

Ross is a nice part of the world, the OP’s wife would likely love a day out there ....... as a plus who’d have thought that a trip to somewhere nice for his Mrs would take the OP past a first rate Uke shop? There’s even other shops in the same complex as the Uke Room that might interest his wife too.

I checked the website but couldn’t see any opening hours, guess there’s mostly teaching and mail order stuff going on at the shop. Anyway I suspect that it’s best to call before travelling so that the kettle can be put on in time and the like. What is obvious, from the website, is that Matty knows his stufff and can expertly demonstrate the Ukes he has: looks like an expert player who sells rather than the other way around. :) .

My Mrs likes Ross-on-Wye, think I’ll plot out a route from Birmingham to Ross via the Uke Room ....... a fun day out for everyone ;-).

Last edited:
I would not suggest a day trip (there and back) from Bristol to Carlisle. I know the distance involved is not great, from an Australian perspective, but the roads and the traffic conditions would make it very trying. For a comfortable day trip in a car, I would try to stay within a hundred mile radius.

Perhaps I'm just getting old.

John Colter

Ross is a nice part of the world, the OP’s wife would likely love a day out there ....... as a plus who’d have thought that a trip to somewhere nice for his Mrs would take the OP past a first rate Uke shop? There’s even other shops in the same complex as the Uke Room that might interest his wife too.

I checked the website but couldn’t see any opening hours, guess there’s mostly teaching and mail order stuff going on at the shop. Anyway I suspect that it’s best to call before travelling so that the kettle can be put on in time and the like. What is obvious, from the website, is that Matty knows his stufff and can expertly demonstrate the Ukes he has: looks like an expert player who sells rather than the other way around. :) .

My Mrs likes Ross-on-Wye, think I’ll plot out a route from Birmingham to Ross via the Uke Room ....... a fun day out for everyone ;-).

Thanks for the kind words Graham! We’re open 9:30 - 3pm tuesdays to Fridays and 10:30am - 4pm every Saturday. Saturdays are best because I’m not teaching so I can get you a cuppa and you can try out all the ukes. We’ve also got a tea room on site for yummy dinner or afternoon teas and cake.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks to all that responded. I won’t have access to a car, but I can check out places public transportation will take me. Matt I am definitely interested in making a visit. I’ll get in touch if it looks like I can swing a trip in that direction.

Top Bottom