Can a keyboard amp such as this ......

Orton Pearson

Reaction score
Can a keyboard amp such as this

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Yamaha-KS-SW100-Keyboard-Subwoofer/23T2

cope with practice / small gigs using a uke (Soprano/Concert/Tenor), a bass guitar, an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar etc either singly or with any degree of concurrence, i.e. any two or more at once? Oh, and also include a keyboard.

Is it a matter that it can cope with any of them individually? Will it work for them all individually but some of them would not sound very good? What is the maximum versatility / concurrency of it within the parameters described above?

I am assuming that a keyboard amp has the necessary range to cope with a variety of other instruments, especially if 'keyboard' means full piano range.

What is best value for money, getting 3 amps that are specific to individual categories of instrument or getting one very versatile amp that covers a lot of situations? I can see a case for either approach.

I ask about this from a stance of total naive ignorance with both the short term and the long term in mind.

Last edited:
Short answer: no.

A keyboard amp will work with the instruments you describe, but it needs to be a true keyboard amp, not a subwoofer, which that is.

I'd invest in a PA. Basically a big keyboard amp that's a million times more flexible. Might not be the best "value" if you're just comparing dollars, but for a quality setup that has room for mics and multiple instruments in the long term, you'll be a much happier camper.

I'm not familiar with the budget options these days, but kohanmike knows all about it. You should search for his posts. Otherwise, get QSCs and an Allan & Heath mixer. :)

Assuming at least some of you will sing, you need to think about how many microphones you need. For a small band, the Yamaha Stagepas is a popular option. We use one, but we have found there aren't nearly enough inputs to cope with four mics, four or more ukes and a bass. For now I'm using a small four port mixer into a guitar amp to make up the difference, which isn't ideal. Our bass player brings his own bass amp now too.

I recommend buying a book on stage sound which will help explain the different options. I found The SOS guide to Live Sound by Paul White very helpful, albeit much of it is about bigger setups than I'm ever likely to need.

I've used a Laney Acoustic hub AH100 in the past for medium pub size gigs, but only good for 3 inputs at a time, we used acoustic guitar, vocal mic, and harmonica (via harp mic), it managed ok, not brilliant, but a good compromise for small gigs where you dont want to lug lots of gear around.
It would quite happliy cope with vocal mic and 2 guitars, or swap one guitar for keyboard, but wouldnt recommend for a bass... I'd rather use a dedicated bass amp.

Assuming at least some of you will sing, you need to think about how many microphones you need. For a small band, the Yamaha Stagepas is a popular option. We use one, but we have found there aren't nearly enough inputs to cope with four mics, four or more ukes and a bass. For now I'm using a small four port mixer into a guitar amp to make up the difference, which isn't ideal. Our bass player brings his own bass amp now too.

I recommend buying a book on stage sound which will help explain the different options. I found The SOS guide to Live Sound by Paul White very helpful, albeit much of it is about bigger setups than I'm ever likely to need.

We use a Yamaha Stagepas for our ceilidh band and you're right there aren't enough inputs. We get extra inputs from an Alto mixer by plugging the main output of the mixer into the Line In of the Stagepas mixer. That gives plenty of inputs and it works well.

Top Bottom