Slow Delivery

FedEx is garbage. I have a friend who's been trying to find out what happened to a package that was supposed to be delivered 4 days ago. He's been lied to at every turn he feels. Either that or they have no clue where their packages are.
I've had better luck with USPS and UPS.
After reading all the responses above, it really does just seem like a crapshoot with whatever carrier you use.

I'm still waiting for the uke I bought on Nov 20 to get from FL to NY. In the meantime, a uke I bought from New Zealand on Nov 28 will arrive today.

I got mine yesterday and it was shipped the 29th. It came FedEx. Interesting though that the FedEx delivery guy came to my back door which is unusual. I have an enclosed porch in the back but no doorbell. It was lucky that I heard him knocking back there. Maybe he was looking for some place to put it where it wouldn't be seen from the street or where the wind wouldn't blow it away. I don't know what he was thinking. All's well that ends well.

I'm still waiting for the uke I bought on Nov 20 to get from FL to NY. In the meantime, a uke I bought from New Zealand on Nov 28 will arrive today.

Has the seller actually shipped? (As opposed to just creating a "shipping label" with the carrier.) It my be time to recover your money.

I have had occasional problems with all of the carriers, but mostly I have had very good service from them. Including Saturday and Sunday deliveries for small items.
FedEx uses independent delivery contractors, especially this time of year. One took out part of a retaining wall and tore off branches of a tree by trying to turn around in my driveway.

NONE of them ring the doorbell when they drop off the package(s). I am sitting in my office on the other side of the door and often have no idea the package has been delivered. The only way to overcome that is to use "signature required". And I feel your pain. I had a very expensive tenor left outside in the rain because no signature was required. Fortunately the box hadn't soaked through when I looked to see if anything had arrived.

Last edited:
The only way to overcome that is to use "signature required".
The shipper noted when I made the order that all lithium batteries require a signature, but FedEx never tried, just left it at my door.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Has the seller actually shipped? (As opposed to just creating a "shipping label" with the carrier.) It my be time to recover your money.

The seller shipped, but he waited eight days after I paid. A poster here said that the dealer was closed for the week of Thanksgiving. He was closed, but he was still accepting payments - just not delivering. If I had known that at the time, I would have bought elsewhere. No more Leonardos' for me! He must have paid for shipping by horseback or pedal car. I ordered ukes from New Zealand and England several days later. The one from NZ arrived yesterday, and the one from England will be here in a day or two.

I got mine yesterday and it was shipped the 29th. It came FedEx. Interesting though that the FedEx delivery guy came to my back door which is unusual. I have an enclosed porch in the back but no doorbell. It was lucky that I heard him knocking back there. Maybe he was looking for some place to put it where it wouldn't be seen from the street or where the wind wouldn't blow it away. I don't know what he was thinking. All's well that ends well.

I've occasionally found out that UPS delivered a package by a message in my email. Usually, the dogs start barking when they hear the truck.

I feel your pain... Years of buying online and I still ferociously check tracking number..... the anticipation and excitement that you're about to get a package and no matter what is, it just releases the flood gates of endorphins. haha:)

Here in Canada we have(had?) a rotating postal strike. It took a while for my Martins to come in. You know it's sitting in the depot in your city but on the tracking page it said delivery delay due to labour strike! all I can say like a TWEEN OMGGGGGGGGGGG haha. But after being delayed a few weeks I finally got my babies but they are my expensive ukes so they just sit in the damn case with a humidifier. Funny how we humans are:)

Now currently I bought some Nest products- doorbell, indoor and outdoor camera during their blackfriday sale. They haven't processed my darn order yet. Every day it counts down process in t-minus 5,4,3,2,1.. and the next day it counts back up to 5. Whatup with that. It's frustrating because I just had a baby two weeks ago, and I was planning to use the indoor camera as a semi baby monitor . I just wish more retailers were like amazon though. Amazon does not charge your credit card until they actually ship or shipped the item. Where as Nest (google) gladly took my 700 dollars right away as my order sits in limbo. screw you google :)

sorry off topic.

I feel everyone’s pain, and have too many stories to tell. One of my (least) favorites involved the postal service. A uke was already on its way to me with no signature required when I found that I had to go to Chicago for six days. No problem (other than, possibly, low humidity in the post office) since I’m having the post office hold my mail, right? Silly me. When I returned home, I found the box on my front porch. When I complained, I was told that packages and letters are delivered by different people, and that package-delivery people are not required to check for mail holds. Fortunately the uke was fine.

In another instance an irreplaceable book took only two days to get to my post office from New York City. Yay! The post office left a signature slip in my mailbox. When I went to pick it up the next day, the guy told me that it wasn’t there and had never been there, despite the physical evidence of the delivery slip. It magically appeared just short of three months later.

The seller shipped, but he waited eight days after I paid. A poster here said that the dealer was closed for the week of Thanksgiving. He was closed, but he was still accepting payments - just not delivering. If I had known that at the time, I would have bought elsewhere. No more Leonardos' for me! He must have paid for shipping by horseback or pedal car. I ordered ukes from New Zealand and England several days later. The one from NZ arrived yesterday, and the one from England will be here in a day or two.

I guess all you can do at this point is watch the tracking of you package as it makes its way to you. Any idea where it is now?

Sounds like a combination of things slowing down getting the ukulele to you.

With the holiday shopping adding to the overload for shipping services, too, I think things are slower in general. I've got some non-ukulele items very slowly working their way to me via the different shippers, and am glad I ordered some of these things way before Christmas, considering how long they're taking. I hope they make it in time for gift giving.

OK, this is not at all uke related, but here is my ultimate slow delivery story - off topic, but just for fun.

In 1974 I was going to the University of York (reading chemistry) when my girlfriend (now my wife of 42 years) flew over from the states to join me for a month long backpacking/Eurail holiday across Europe to Greece. Before she left a friend gave her a copy of the 1972 book "The Joy of Sex", which contained various illustrations that were pretty darn racy at the time. But by the time we got to Greece we were lugging way to much weight around, so we wrapped the rather heavy book up in brown paper and stopped by the post office in Athens to mail it home. The clerk insisted on unwrapping it to be sure the contents qualifed for the inexpensive "printed matter" rate, and when he saw what it was his eyes opened wide. But he took our postage payment and put it aside, presumably to be wrapped back up for shipment. We sort of forgot about it after that, and we never did receive the book back over the next few months, so we figured it had been confiscated or some such.

TWO YEARS later my mother called to ask why someone from Greece had just sent us a used copy of "The Joy of Sex"? It looked as if it might have been passed around the entire post office, but when they were done someone finally dropped it in the mail. Now THAT's slow delivery.

Last edited:
I feel your pain... Years of buying online and I still ferociously check tracking number..... the anticipation and excitement that you're about to get a package and no matter what is, it just releases the flood gates of endorphins. haha:)

Here in Canada we have(had?) a rotating postal strike. It took a while for my Martins to come in. You know it's sitting in the depot in your city but on the tracking page it said delivery delay due to labour strike! all I can say like a TWEEN OMGGGGGGGGGGG haha. But after being delayed a few weeks I finally got my babies but they are my expensive ukes so they just sit in the damn case with a humidifier. Funny how we humans are:)

Now currently I bought some Nest products- doorbell, indoor and outdoor camera during their blackfriday sale. They haven't processed my darn order yet. Every day it counts down process in t-minus 5,4,3,2,1.. and the next day it counts back up to 5. Whatup with that. It's frustrating because I just had a baby two weeks ago, and I was planning to use the indoor camera as a semi baby monitor . I just wish more retailers were like amazon though. Amazon does not charge your credit card until they actually ship or shipped the item. Where as Nest (google) gladly took my 700 dollars right away as my order sits in limbo. screw you google :)

sorry off topic.

Congratulations! I hope both you and he/she are doing well.

The uke arrived today from Florida, 17 days after I paid for it. I received a uke from New Zealand in under a week.

The uke arrived today from Florida, 17 days after I paid for it. I received a uke from New Zealand in under a week.

Glad that you finally got it. A questions if you don't mind. First of all you said that they didn't even ship it for eight days, so that leaves nine days and that is on the shipper. How did it come to you? I've found that if the seller ships it UPS or FedEx, then if that shipper transfers it to USPS for delivery, that eats up four days. I don't know why that transition is so difficult, but it seems to be. In San Juan, if they do that I can watch the tracking and it will track the package to he USPS facility in Catano, which is literally a thirty minute ferry ride from me. Tracking is easy because everything that comes to me in San Juan funnels through Catano. It will sit in Catano for four days. If a package is shipped USPS from the beginning and if I am tracking it, it will stay at the facility in Catano overnight. I do not understand that, but I was wondering if that is what happened to you.

Last edited:
OK, this is not at all uke related, but here is my ultimate slow delivery story - off topic, but just for fun.

That was definitely slow delivery. But, impressive that they finally got it to you.

Glad that you finally got it. A questions if you don't mind. First of all you said that they didn't even ship it for eight days, so that leaves nine days and that is on the shipper. How did it come to you?

Shipping was USPS Ground, and the dealer paid for shipping. That's the slowest and cheapest way to ship. I receive packages almost every day, and I have never received anything sent that way. I always ship Priority. It costs more, but the item get there in two or three days.

I just looked on the USPS site to estimate shipping. A large 5 lb package sent Priority would cost $23. The same package sent USPS Ground would cost $22.

Top Bottom