Season 355 "a dance to the music of time"

We already heard some Midnight-Songs.
This one is a little older.
I hope a Guitarlele is OK...

I was at work today and this song popped in my head as a natural for this Season, got home, worked on the lead sections and ending for maybe a minute, found the lyrics, sang about half the intro, then turned on the recorder and went. A one take wonder if there ever was one here folks.

And it's bedtime again, in deepest France ... thanks to all today's splendid contributors! I hope that there will be plenty more songs to listen to when I wake up in the morning. I leave you with this, which has vague horological references ... anyway, I thought it was funny!

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lie down for the night and go to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes wakes up and nudges his faithful friend ...

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replies, "I see a million stars"

"What does that tell you?"

Watson ponders for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does is tell YOU, Holmes?"

Holmes is silent for a minute, then speaks, "Watson, you idiot! Someone has stolen our tent!"

One chorder from Harry Nilsson's stable. "Coconut", a slight wash of Jaw Harp
and just a wobble of extra vocal here and there towards the end.

OUCH! :D :smileybounce:

And it's bedtime again, in deepest France ... thanks to all today's splendid contributors! I hope that there will be plenty more songs to listen to when I wake up in the morning. I leave you with this, which has vague horological references ... anyway, I thought it was funny!

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lie down for the night and go to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes wakes up and nudges his faithful friend ...

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replies, "I see a million stars"

"What does that tell you?"

Watson ponders for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does is tell YOU, Holmes?"

Holmes is silent for a minute, then speaks, "Watson, you idiot! Someone has stolen our tent!"

People who know Courtney Barnett would probably have expected this one from me. It's a narrator who is separated from their partner by a distance of many thousands of miles musing in the middle of various nights from their room in a slightly run down hotel. It's Courtney at her stream-of-conciousness best.

In the first verse they wake up at 4 to ponder, in the second it's 3.

Can we also take a minute to gape in disbelief at the fact I did this in one take despite the line "it's art deco necromantic chic, all the dinner plates are kitsch"?

In the late 70s my older brother was into Blondie. Then suddenly he was seduced by the anarchic punk rock movement and no longer wanted his Blondie records - so he gave them to me. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven! This is one of my faves from Parallel Lines:

Shel Silverstein writes great stories. Fortunately, they tend to be poetic and very easily are turned into songs. The original of this poem has something like 40 stanzas, and if someone were to try to sing the whole thing it would probably take 30-40 minutes. The version that Bobby Bare recorded is more than 8 minutes long. I deleted several stanzas that told overlapping stories about some other characters and kept all the stanzas that focused more on the main character herself, her two employees, their interactions with each other and Rosalie's interactions with her customers.

I had to capo it up one step because the first section was too low for my voice. It starts in G, then goes to A, and finally ends up in C (except I was using a capo, so this version goes from A to B to D). The middle section was still kind of hard for me to do.

Time: 2:00 in the morning on Saturday night.

I see that Paul beat me to this one.
My version is taken from Chuck Berry’s London Sessions album, and contrary to Paul’s, I don’t think this version is about dancing at all, unless it’s the horizontal mambo that Little Feat sing about.

My Ride's Here - A tribute to Warren Zevon

Not an easy task to come up with a song with a specific time in it, but I thought of this one eventually. I really dig Warren Zevon and the insane energy he had as well his creative/intricate lyrics. Here's my cover of 'My Ride's Here' by the amazing Warren Zevon. The lyric that fits is '3:10 to Yuma'. I was surprised that it ended up sounding a bit like John Mellencamp.

And "good morning" from deepest France, where I have overslept for the second day running! Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed overnight ... please keep them coming during today! This is the view from our front window this morning .... not sure the sunshine will last. I will update the Playlist forthwith.

47245414_2077620042260633_7593684762682720256_n - Edited.jpg

Thanks for hosting this week Val. I still don't fully understand your internet limitations, but I appreciate you taking the time out of your day and internet rations to host this week :). This one mentions morning every time the chorus comes around and I extremely grateful to be joined by my dear friends Jon and Joo, who breathed life into this simple little ditty ~

My Internet limitations are simple, Kevin! We pay a vast amount of money for a monthly Internet connection with a limit of 40 Gigabytes (I think?) per month. We are up in the hills in deepest France and the only possible Internet service available to us is by Satellite. (Hopefully, things are going to change in the next couple of years when, owing to the intervention of the Department, we might be able to enjoy the same terrestrial services as those down at ground level, and move into the 21st Century!) Meanwhile, it's painful! Now I am off to listen to your vid!

They Might Be Giants cover from their brilliantly bonkers 2002 album No! But then, it is aimed at kids, who tend to have brilliantly bonkers minds :D

Greetings,

I have chosen the song Breathe (2AM) by Anna Nalick for this week. It's a pretty song, hope you like it.

Ciao

And it's bedtime, again! Very many thanks to today's contributors. I leave you with this:-

What's the best time on the clock?

6.30 wins ... hands down!

When's the best time to go to the dentist?

2:30!

(Apologies if you've been saving that one for later in the week)

Top Bottom