Season 355 "a dance to the music of time"

I’m feeling either very brave or very foolish tonight - not sure which yet, but only TIME will tell! Not only is this fabulous song one of my favourites by Yazoo, and originally sung by the supremely talented Alison Moyet, but it was also covered fabulously well by Lynda earlier in the season. I think we can guess where this is heading, but I’m posting it anyway. The verdict of the jury: foolish! :)

For Season of the Ukulele 355, "A Dance to the Music of Time", we're playing songs about the time of the day. This is "Blue, Red, and Gray" by the Who, played on tenor ukulele with whistling and singing, with overdubs of digital accordion, and a secondary vocal.

Not a single moment of the day (the song mentions many different times of day), but I'm sure this one Thorntons its way in.

And, good morning from deepest France, where it is still too dark to see what the weather is doing. Therefore, I bring you "culture"! The title of this week's Season comes from the 12-volume cycle of novels by Anthony Powell, chronicling mid-Twentieth Century life in England, as seen through the eyes of the narrator, Nick Jenkins. And Powell, in turn, found inspiration for the title from a 17th Century painting by Nicolas Poussin.

download.jpeg 350px-The_dance_to_the_music_of_time_c._1640.jpg

There now! A big thank you to all the (to me) "overnight" contributors .... I shall update the Playlist forthwith.

When's the best time to go to the dentist?

2:30!

(Apologies if you've been saving that one for later in the week)

Thank you, Ryan! Actually, I wasn't saving this one .... I have come to the conclusion that most jokes about time/clocks are just AWFUL, and impossibly corny. (This is, of course, the exception!)

firework-display-transparent-background.jpgAND STOP PRESS!!!!

Lynda has just, not so subtly, reminded me that it is Wednesday, so I have Internet!!!!! Therefore, as promised, I herewith lift the three-song limit for the rest of the week. (Also, should anyone be inspired by that Poussin painting to write a song about four slightly unrobed ladies dancing round to the music of Time - playing his lyre - then that would be most welcome!)

I have family staying this week, so I don't know how much time I will be able to dedicate to the Seasons :(

But my first thought on seeing this theme was of a bizarre experience I had in Chicago when visiting my Aunt many years ago. This song outlines what that behaviour involved. I swear that, unlikely as it sounds, this is true (though the names have been changed to protect the innocent ;) )

So, I hope you enjoy:

I did this song during Randy's Oscar's week, and thought it would be a great fit for this week as well, so I recorded it again now. I love this song dearly, but it is quite difficult to pull off!

And now it's "time" for a funny just for Val.......Grandmother quit chewing on my wristwatch, you're gumming up the works!!

Rock Around The Clock

Another song about dancing & time. The Freedman/Myers number immortalised by Bill Haley & His Comets, but done in a minor key (Am Dm & E7, if you're interested). Kala Travel tenor uke tuned to Bb (as all tenor ukuleles should be ;) ).

And it's bedtime here again in deepest France .... life is becoming strangely repetitive! A big thank you to all today's contributors ... we are up to 50 videos; please keep them coming!

I leave you with this .... er, sorry!

"I usually meet my boyfriend at 12.59, because I like that one-to-one time."

Oh ... and STOP PRESS (again!)

We have now had two versions of "Rock Around the Clock" - one from Trent and one from Paul. I now declare "Rock Around the Clock" to be this week's signature song ... if you feel like bringing another version, then please join in!

Thank you and good night!

Here's an original. I added some synth strings and a piano break.

Top Bottom