Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 355 "a dance to the music of time"

We already heard some Midnight-Songs.
    This one is a little older.
    I hope a Guitarlele is OK...

I was at work today and this song popped in my head as a natural for this Season, got home, worked on the lead sections and ending for maybe a minute, found the lyrics, sang about half the intro, then turned on the recorder and went. A one take wonder if there ever was one here folks.

And it's bedtime again, in deepest France ... thanks to all today's splendid contributors! I hope that there will be plenty more songs to listen to when I wake up in the morning. I leave you with this, which has vague horological references ... anyway, I thought it was funny!

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lie down for the night and go to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes wakes up and nudges his faithful friend ...

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replies, "I see a million stars"

"What does that tell you?"

Watson ponders for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does is tell YOU, Holmes?"

Holmes is silent for a minute, then speaks, "Watson, you idiot! Someone has stolen our tent!"

Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

One chorder from Harry Nilsson's stable. "Coconut", a slight wash of Jaw Harp
    and just a wobble of extra vocal here and there towards the end.

OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    And it's bedtime again, in deepest France ... thanks to all today's splendid contributors! I hope that there will be plenty more songs to listen to when I wake up in the morning. I leave you with this, which has vague horological references ... anyway, I thought it was funny!

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lie down for the night and go to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes wakes up and nudges his faithful friend ...

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replies, "I see a million stars"

"What does that tell you?"

Watson ponders for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does is tell YOU, Holmes?"

Holmes is silent for a minute, then speaks, "Watson, you idiot! Someone has stolen our tent!"

Martin C1K Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

People who know Courtney Barnett would probably have expected this one from me. It's a narrator who is separated from their partner by a distance of many thousands of miles musing in the middle of various nights from their room in a slightly run down hotel. It's Courtney at her stream-of-conciousness best.

In the first verse they wake up at 4 to ponder, in the second it's 3.

Can we also take a minute to gape in disbelief at the fact I did this in one take despite the line "it's art deco necromantic chic, all the dinner plates are kitsch"?

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

In the late 70s my older brother was into Blondie. Then suddenly he was seduced by the anarchic punk rock movement and no longer wanted his Blondie records - so he gave them to me. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven! This is one of my faves from Parallel Lines:

Shel Silverstein writes great stories. Fortunately, they tend to be poetic and very easily are turned into songs. The original of this poem has something like 40 stanzas, and if someone were to try to sing the whole thing it would probably take 30-40 minutes. The version that Bobby Bare recorded is more than 8 minutes long. I deleted several stanzas that told overlapping stories about some other characters and kept all the stanzas that focused more on the main character herself, her two employees, their interactions with each other and Rosalie's interactions with her customers.

I had to capo it up one step because the first section was too low for my voice. It starts in G, then goes to A, and finally ends up in C (except I was using a capo, so this version goes from A to B to D). The middle section was still kind of hard for me to do.

Time: 2:00 in the morning on Saturday night.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

I see that Paul beat me to this one.
    My version is taken from Chuck Berry’s London Sessions album, and contrary to Paul’s, I don’t think this version is about dancing at all, unless it’s the horizontal mambo that Little Feat sing about.

Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

paoriginal

Thread Information