Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good songs for singer with limited range?

Default Good songs for singer with limited range?

My vocal range is about 1 1/4 octaves. I can go higher but people run screaming from the room if I do. What are some good songs for a limited vocal range male person?

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    My vocal range is about 1 1/4 octaves. I can go higher but people run screaming from the room if I do. What are some good songs for a limited vocal range male person?
    Many/most Bob Dylan songs are quite limited, but you may need to look at the original arrangements rather than the more "expanded" performances by other artists that became popular. Indeed, much old English folk music is limited simply by virtue of it's being sung by "folk" May just be a case of transposing the music to a key you're comfortable with!

YMMV - Good luck
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    Many/most Bob Dylan songs are quite limited, but you may need to look at the original arrangements rather than the more "expanded" performances by other artists that became popular. Indeed, much old English folk music is limited simply by virtue of it's being sung by "folk" May just be a case of transposing the music to a key you're comfortable with!

YMMV - Good luck
    I have made very good use of transposing songs to the key of C, D or F. Higher than that and I fall "flat" (pun intended) on my face. Find your key and stick as close as possible to it.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I find Monkees songs usually fit my range well. Otherwise I'm with DownUpDave, and transpose where necessary.

In addition to transposing, another option is to tune down your uke. I’ve had good luck tuning my tenor down to B, Bb, or lately, even down to A, where I can sing many songs more easily, and play Simple C, F, G, Am etc chord shapes. Easy to experiment with that option.
    John

Bellgamin, another thing you can do, when you're singing a song that's "mostly" within your comfort zone but has a couple of lines that go a little "high-up-there", is to develop your own "signature" ways of delivering those particular lines so that they're in your zone. More often than not, your listeners will think you just made a discretionary variation in the way you interpreted the line (which is true, I guess), but they don't have to know that you did it in order to enable you to stay in your range. I'm at a loss to give specific examples at the moment, but I've seen several well-known performers (often those who are getting up there in years a little, or younger performers who might be fighting a cold that night) handle the "range" issue this way; not only does it save you from the anxiety of wondering if you'll be able to "hit it" on those troublesome lines, but it also gives you a chance to "make the song your own" by doing those lines in a unique way (which will also happen to keep things in a comfortable range for you). Just something to consider... that, and doing exclusively Monkees songs...

Lou Reed ?
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Cordoba C1m 1/4, TI CF127, G
    Cordoba Mini M, SC F# EFS
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G

Jim's Blog

Lee Marvin?
    All the best,
    Campbell

"Less Talk More Playing"

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Someone recommended taking a voice class and it actually helped. Getting the breathing down makes a big difference

Instrumentals ? I'll get me coat........

Thread Information