Kamaka Koa?

Kyle23

Reaction score
Why is it that Kamakas tend to have a more bland koa than lets say KoAloha or Kanile'a? Is that intentional or is the koa that is available to them just less eye popping?

I also noticed that Kanile'a has some of the best looking koa which brings me to my next question. Can you have access to a bunch of koa trees that give better looking koa or is it random within each tree? I'm trying to wrap my mind around a forest of trees having better looking wood than another forest, but maybe that is possible?

Which do you think is best - to choose with your eyes or with your ears?

Some years ago, a very well respected ukulele maker showed me one of his latest creations. It was a soprano made from highly figured koa. It had abalone rosette and binding, and some other lovely embellishments. He handed it to me, non-committaly, and said, "What do you think of this?" After studying its appearance, I played it briefly and it sounded dreadful. Imagine trying a dozen painted Mahalos and finding the worst sounding one - that's what it sounded like.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked. He smiled. "Just the wood. Sometimes it looks great but sounds lousy."

I would always be suspicious of a uke with highly figured wood, unless it's a veneer.:rolleyes: My favourite uke is my KoAloha which has some very nice character in the grain, but also sounds wonderful. It is possible for a uke to be pleasing in both departments.

John Colter

ps. I found this video review by Mims. It features my actual KoAloha. I believe I am the third owner, and feel very lucky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-_wQ42aRI

Last edited:
I know where you are coming from Kyle. No doubt Kanilea tends to use some of the prettiest koa. It has a lot to do with the companies philosophy and where and whom they access their wood from. You cannot walk through a forest and reliably identify which koa tree will produce the curliest most beautiful wood. Joe Souza obviously has access to mills that have a high grade of koa and he has standing orders for the best stuff that is identified after it is cut.

Two words to all those that think only plain koa make great sounding ukes......Moore Bettah. Nuff said ;)

Last edited:
Maybe letting the luthier choose the wood is like letting letting a singer choose the key.

I think Kamaka is just saving the most figured wood pieces for their top range high price instruments such as the Jake models. Google "Kamaka" and "Jake" and you'll see that they do use some very figured Koa as well - just not on their regular line.

While it is pretty easy to figure (pun intended) that plainer pieces of wood are easier to work with, I would think that there are plenty of great luthiers who prove with every instrument they build that they can make figured wood sound as good as plain wood and vice versa.

As for your question about the occurrence of curly Koa: Naturally, this will come down to every individual tree, its age and where it grows. Nevertheless, I'd assume that the colors and figures of wood are also influenced by factors like soil, exposure to sun and level of elevation as well as genetically, so it would seem only logical to me that the trees that grow next to each other have often similar characteristics.

Last edited:
Most Koa is plain. Highly and nicely figured Koa is more expensive, so I would only expect to see highly figured Koa on the most expensive instruments. I prefer the top and back to have a moderate amount of figuring, otherwise, it looks too busy. I do like highly figured sides, (it really looks great on the curves).

I know where you are coming from Kyle. No doubt Kanilea tends to use some of the prettiest koa. It has a lot to do with the companies philosophy and where and whom they access their wood from. You cannot walk through a forest and reliably identify which koa tree will produce the curliest most beautiful wood. Joe Souza obviously has access to mills that have a high grade of koa and he has standing orders for the best stuff that is identified after it is cut.

Two words to all those that think only plain koa make great sounding ukes......Moore Bettah. Nuff said ;)

Good point on the Moore Bettahs. I just figured a company like Kamaka must use a blander koa on purpose I guess. I have seen their more figured koa ukuleles, but for the most part it seems like they use less curly koa. I mean go on theukulelesite. Most of their new Kamakas look identical.

Most Koa is plain. Highly and nicely figured Koa is more expensive, so I would only expect to see highly figured Koa on the most expensive instruments. I prefer the top and back to have a moderate amount of figuring, otherwise, it looks too busy. I do like highly figured sides, (it really looks great on the curves).

Oh of course it must be more expensive. But it seems like the base model Kamakas are more expensive than base model Kanile'as despite plainer looking koa.

Last edited:
The koa on Kamaka headstocks appears to be more figured than the rest of the instrument, in general, from what I've seen. It certainly is on mine.

As far as I'm aware, figuring doesn't lead to a significantly different sound so Kamaka probably focuses on sound quality rather than appearance.

As others have said, Kamaka does have some amazing wood, they just reserve it for their top instruments. I attached a photo of my Kamaka which is 4A koa and is quite curly.

3.jpg

I think fundamentally, it doesn't matter to Kamaka.
That is to say, they don't NEED to use the flashiest koa on every ukulele, so they reserve their most striking wood for their true custom stuff or their models on which customers expect both the visual and sonic aesthetics to be equally dazzling. I think some manufacturers pride themselves (justifiably) on gorgeous, highly figured wood, and that becomes a part of their brand's story (not that it's the ONLY significant component - just something they're known for). Kamaka has developed a narrative/legacy/reputation which (IMO) transcends the need for every piece they produce to have the most ornately figured koa. They're pretty & well built, but their spot in the ukulele pantheon is secure without 5a quilted/flamed tops on the base models.

These four Kamakas aren't that plain. Now if you want to look at plain koa, look at my Martin T1k, that is plain. Although there is a spot on the side if I look down while playing that shimmers a bit.4 kamaka.jpg

AFAIK the figured koa is less common than just the "plain" striped cuts, and because some people like the looks and are willing to pay a premium for it. I once had an uke that had a lot of figuring and actually noted that the wood had split along some of the figuring lines and then was glued before the uke was assembled. My luthier said that this was very common practice and would not affect sound or stability,, but it turned me off the figured woods and now I look for as much uniformity as possible when I buy a new instrument. I think that Kamaka is producing a larger number of ukes than the most other Hawaiian manufacturers, and I would agree that they set the funny looking stuff aside for premium models, though their deluxe options are mainly focused on decorations.

Even on "plain" Koa Kamaka ukuleles the grain is gorgeous, and is much prettier up close and in person. There's lots of detail and '3D' chatoyance that doesn't always show up in photos.

And that Kamaka SOUND!
:cool:

Even on "plain" Koa Kamaka ukuleles the grain is gorgeous, and is much prettier up close and in person. There's lots of detail and '3D' chatoyance that doesn't always show up in photos.

And that Kamaka SOUND!
:cool:

Absolutely agree. The wood in my Kamaka base level HF-3 tenor is gorgeous. It has a depth that you wouldn't believe and looks different from different angles. But it isn't "flashy."

Part of the equation is also how the logs are cut. Usually they are "quartersawn" which results in a lot of waste, but results in boards that are stronger and more resistance to warping and shrinking. There have been several videos about luthiers from both lager mfgs and individual shops selecting their woods at the mills. It takes a practiced eye to have an idea about what the finished wood will look like.

If I recall correctly, the documentary about Kamaka shows some of the woods drying and aging. Some of which has been in the racks for decades.

One other thing, I seem to remember someone from Kanile'a saying that "stripy" ukes are very popular now. (It might have been Andrew at HMS saying it.) As are satin finishes, though that seems to be declining somewaht.

i see what you mean Kyle. I actually thought the same thing and was going to post something similar; that the latest batches seemed to be hum-ho as far as looks go. Am sure they still maintain the high quality Kamaka sound. It's just that there is a lot of competition out there and others are stepping up their game with different woods, bracing, etc. i.e Anuenue as one example. If I were in the market for a Kamaka I think I would sit those out and wait for one that ooh-ed me a bit more. Looking at Mim's site, there seem to be some interesting wood though.

Last edited:
Never put much attention to this... But having had the chance to play all the k-brands a couple weeks ago. the Kamakas were the best sounding to my ear in comparison to the other K-brands.

My Martin koa isn't a great looker but it sounds amazing.

Top Bottom