Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Music on a Tablet

I've been through the ringer with tablets, if you have to go with an Android or Windows, use MobileSheets Pro, on an iPad, forScore which records directly in the app, I use that all the time during rehearsals. When I first started using a tablet for my music, I didn't want to spend the money for an iPad Pro, but after about three years of going round and round, I tried one at the Apple Store and it runs rings around any other make of tablet. I did save a few bucks buying a refurb directly from Apple online. I also got the Pencil, which works better than any other stylus, makes it very easy to do on the fly changes to my music sheets.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I ordered a Kindle Fire HD 10" just now - $142. I understand I'll have to get all the music into PDF format, so if anyone has any ideas about how to do that quickly, I'd be glad to hear them.

What I've been doing is opening a book of PDF music, copying a page and then saving it in a separate folder. I wonder if Mobilesheets could deal with the entire book (over 400 pgs) in PDF.
    Just go to the drop down and save it as a PDF instead of a Doc. I have downloaded entire books in PDF format on to my MobileSheets. I have several of them.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I do love MobileSheets - wonderful app, very inexpensive. But it drives me crazy that you can no longer use a TV as a display with a recent Kindle. I used to have that capability with an older 10" I had, but it's been gone for a while. That would give my poor old eyes a break on reading song sheets instead of an 8" screen.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie44 View Post
    I do love MobileSheets - wonderful app, very inexpensive. But it drives me crazy that you can no longer use a TV as a display with a recent Kindle. I used to have that capability with an older 10" I had, but it's been gone for a while. That would give my poor old eyes a break on reading song sheets instead of an 8" screen.
    If you want to send to TV, maybe use a Chromecast stick? I have a old phone that doesn't screen mirror, but I can cast everything on a stick.

I use three apps to manage music on an 8" Fire tablet:

MobileSheets Pro -- Individual songs in PDF files.

Kindle Books (or any PDF reader) -- Multi-page PDF books. I could load these into MobileSheets if I wanted, but I usually don't bother.

GuitarTapp -- Searches the internet for lyrics and chords, saves favorites. Great to have when Wi-Fi is available and somebody mentions a song I don't have... yet!

I don't know of an automated way to extract individual songs from a multi-song PDF book. If I need to pull a song out of a book, I'll open the file in Adobe Reader on my PC and print the page(s) to a PDF converter like PrimoPDF, DoPDF or CutePDF Writer. (If none of that made sense, Google is your friend)

A couple hints:

Install Amazon's "Send to Kindle" software on your PC.

You can use the tablet's camera to snap a photo of sheet music, and load that into MobileSheets (it takes JPG as well as PDF files).

I have both Android tablet with MobileSheets and iPad with ForScore. They both work well. I wish that they would work cross platform but they don't and probably never will. The Ipad is one of those 12.9 inch monsters. I don't need to wear my reading glasses with it . They don't make big Android tablets. I think Windows Surface could be used but don't know what software would work with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I have both Android tablet with MobileSheets and iPad with ForScore. They both work well. I wish that they would work cross platform but they don't and probably never will. The Ipad is one of those 12.9 inch monsters. I don't need to wear my reading glasses with it . They don't make big Android tablets. I think Windows Surface could be used but don't know what software would work with that.
    The Windows version of MobileSheets is what works with that.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Flight Travel soprano

Jerry,

The only thing that makes me wonder about this thread is knowing your nature to acquire good things, particularly ukuleles. It seems odd that you wouldn’t want the same for technology. I get that other people want to avoid Apple or the cost of buying an iPad Pro.

As KohanMike put it, the iPad Pro, the 12.9” version, is the way to go. If you don’t need the latest model, look for a used 1st generation 12.9” iPad Pro. You won’t need more than the standard 32GB model for music reading. The best app is forScore, an Apple Pencil is great, and I’d recommend the Otter Box case, the PageFlip Dragonfly pedal, and the GoStand and Manos Mount from AirTurn.

One other hint: books can be sent to 1 Dollar Scan, which will take your book and scan it, sending you a PDF in the process. I need to actually have that done with a couple more books. It’s 100 pages for $1, which is a huge time saver (plus the cost of shipping to California).

And yes, tablets can handle PDFs of hundreds of pages.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Besides a bigger screen, and a much bigger price, I don't see what the Pro of either generation brings to the table that the current 9.7 inch doesn't have. At least in terms of what is needed to read a PDF file--which is not much. ForScore runs well even on older models. The ability to annotate with the Apple Pencil is very nice--and shared by both the Pro and current 9.7 inch.

Just over a year ago a 9.7 inch iPad was the ultimate sheet music machine and it's still great. I think most people would be happy with either. I realize everyone prioritizes different things, and for some a large, (some would say unwieldy) screen, is, actually, essential, even given the price. I'd just say look at your actual needs if you have a budget, or if you'd rather buy a new ukulele than a piece of shiny new tech that will be obsolete in a very few years.

Thank you for the information about 1 Dollar Scan, Chris! I have so many books I've wanted to scan. I'm excited!
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Flight Travel soprano

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" tablet,and have all my songsheets in jpg format.Using a free app called 'Quick Pic' it stacks the sheets alphabetically and its easy to scroll through to the relevant title. My friends in our group either have a generic android tablet or iPad,and they either do the same as me, or have the sheets in pdf format and use the free pdf reader app. I used to do the same thing on my older Hudl 7" tablet,but the 10" is kinder on my aged eyes!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Thread Information