Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Music on a Tablet

Default Help with Music on a Tablet

A couple of people in my groups have music on their iPads - large and small. They use forScore and something else. I have a lot of music from each group, and the amount of paper is getting to be overwhelming. I'd like to go electronic.

I have an old, slow, iPad 2 and a smaller Kindle. I don't want to spend $600 - $1,000 for a new iPad, so I'm wondering what software is available for a kindle (They make one a little over 10") or a Samsung tablet.

As for the software, what words would I enter to search for that kind of software?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

For a Samsung, you don't need any software. I have an Insignia 10" Tablet and have probably 1,000 songs on a microSD card, just view with free adobe pdf viewer.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    For a Samsung, you don't need any software. I have an Insignia 10" Tablet and have probably 1,000 songs on a microSD card, just view with free adobe pdf viewer.
    Thanks. I was thinking of something like Mobilesheets, which is like forScore. It would let me put the music into books and sort it.

For the Kindle I use MobileSheets Pro. It works well for me and it isn't expensive, $12.99. The music needs to be in a PDF format to work best. Also the free MobileSheets does not even come close to letting you see and use the features of the pro, so don't try the free download and think that is doesn't have much to it. Get a cheap page turner and you're in business. I use mine a lot. Another thing that I have on my Kindle is the Ultimateguitar app. It is very user friendly and it is pretty cheap. Most songs have a ukulele chord adaptation and once you put them in favorites I believe you can access them without a connection. It also allows you to transpose to a different key with a click of the mouse.
    Last edited by Rllink; 12-03-2018 at 04:58 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have an Apple Ipad that I use now instead of carrying around volumes of sheet music. I had to figure out how to transfer the songs which were on my PC laptop.
    First, I had to put all the songs into PDF format.
    Second, I had to download Apple ITunes to my laptop. Now the magic begins....

Connecting my IPad to the PC laptop then opening the Apple ITunes I get a screen that shows multiple options but I click on AudioBooks, which leads to more options and I click on Books. Once at this point, in the upper left hand corner I click on add a new file. This opens my PC word processor to all my songs in a PDF format. Click on the song and drag it to Ipad list. It automatically transfers over but I have to first close my word document file first before it's moved.

I am computer challenged but this seemed to work for me. There is most likely other ways to accomplish this task as well.
    I love the mobility now of not having to carry all those 4" binders.
    Best wishes on your transferring documents,

Aloha, Reno Dave
    Pono Mahogany Tenor High G
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor High G
    Pono Acacia Deluxe Tenor Low G

I use MobileSheets on my laptop. It is very good--at least the equal of ForScore, and in some ways better. I thought about getting a 10-inch Kindle and using it on that too, but instead replaced my aging iPad with another one. The non Pro version was as low as $250 on Black Friday, and that's what I got--half what I paid for my original Air. I think the Kindle could work and would like to hear your experience if you go that route. Several people in my group got iPad Pros last year, but, for myself, I can't justify over $1K for something with a useful life of perhaps 3 to 5 years. That's basically disposable. A $1,000 uke would last the rest of my life and beyond. I wish someone were developing a large and affordable e-ink screen. That would be ideal.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    For the Kindle I use MobileSheets Pro. It works well for me and it isn't expensive, $12.99. The music needs to be in a PDF format to work best. Also the free MobileSheets does not even come close to letting you see and use the features of the pro, so don't try the free download and think that is doesn't have much to it. Get a cheap page turner and you're in business. I use mine a lot. Another thing that I have on my Kindle is the Ultimateguitar app. It is very user friendly and it is pretty cheap. Most songs have a ukulele chord adaptation and once you put them in favorites I believe you can access them without a connection. It also allows you to transpose to a different key with a click of the mouse.
    Which model Kindle do you have? I wonder how that would compare with then Samsung tablet, which is Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Which model Kindle do you have? I wonder how that would compare with then Samsung tablet, which is Android.
    Kindle fire 8. My wife has a Samsung. I suggest that you just go to whatever app store is on your tablet and see if you can get it. It is not Android specific, you can put it on a lot of platforms. My Kindle Fire 8 does not have a big screen but I like it because it fits in the back pocket of my jeans. It is big enough for me, I mean, nothing is perfect. I use my Kindle all the time when I'm busking. I have my uke, my Kindle, and I'm in business. The Kindle 8 has and 8" screen. What size screen does the Samsung have?
    Last edited by Rllink; 12-03-2018 at 05:44 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I ordered a Kindle Fire HD 10" just now - $142. I understand I'll have to get all the music into PDF format, so if anyone has any ideas about how to do that quickly, I'd be glad to hear them.

What I've been doing is opening a book of PDF music, copying a page and then saving it in a separate folder. I wonder if Mobilesheets could deal with the entire book (over 400 pgs) in PDF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    A couple of people in my groups have music on their iPads - large and small. They use forScore and something else. I have a lot of music from each group, and the amount of paper is getting to be overwhelming. I'd like to go electronic.

I have an old, slow, iPad 2 and a smaller Kindle. I don't want to spend $600 - $1,000 for a new iPad, so I'm wondering what software is available for a kindle (They make one a little over 10") or a Samsung tablet.

As for the software, what words would I enter to search for that kind of software?
    There have been a previous few threads that have gone into this topic pretty deeply.

I found them by simply searching UU for 'tablet'.

You can see them here:

From 2016: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...or-Sheet-Music

From 2018: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...rld-of-tablets
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Thread Information