Thread: Two and Three Finger Chords

Default Two and Three Finger Chords

On ukulele are two and three finger chords the result of re-entrant tuning? Or, are they just more finger friendly? How does the music sound if these are the only type chords used in a song? Are they better for strumming or finger style? I am thinking that maybe one playing only two and three finger chords are also only playing two or three notes at the most at any one given time. Please explain because I am lost on this subject. Thank you, johnnysmash

I find these questions puzzling, Johnny. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Question One: No - you can play the same chords, with the same finger positions on a uke tuned with a low 'G'. I think this should be obvious.

Question Two: Beginners find it easier to play the "C" chord 0003. It can be played 5433. With practice, you will find that almost all chords on the ukulele are finger friendly - no more than four notes at a time. If a chord would normally require more than four notes, we have to decide which to leave out.

Question Three: You can answer this yourself. Play something simple in the key of "C".

Question Four: I'll let someone else have a go at answering this.

Point five is not posed as a question, but if you consider the notes you are playing for any given chord, you can reach your own conclusion.

Give these points some consideration and I'm sure things will become a lot clearer. It ain't (as they say) rocket surgery!

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    On ukulele are two and three finger chords the result of re-entrant tuning? Or, are they just more finger friendly? How does the music sound if these are the only type chords used in a song? Are they better for strumming or finger style? I am thinking that maybe one playing only two and three finger chords are also only playing two or three notes at the most at any one given time. Please explain because I am lost on this subject. Thank you, johnnysmash
    I am puzzled as well. This is the guitar forum but you are asking about ukulele chords and reentrant tuning. Are you wondering how this related to the guitar.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

No. I meant to post this in Uke Talk but put it here by mistake. I did not know how to move it. I am talking about ukuleles and how his relates to ukuleles. Nothing to do with guitars.

Have you done as I suggested? Did it help?

John Colter

Some, yes. However, even tho I can figure it out myself as to how something sounds or is it good to do, consider that I am still looking for the opinion of the other person. That way I can see how my thinking runs as compared to theirs.

Sorry, Johnny, I don't think can be of any further assistance.

Best wishes,

John Colter.

Thread Information