Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge options for tenor

David, thank you. I see that your saddle slots are open-ended. As I understand it that may create problems if one wanted to install an under saddle pickup. Being new at this, I don't know how that might work.

Thank you for taking the time! :-)
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

Not as far as I know. I've installed that type of p/u on my instruments and they worked fine. It's true that pocket slots are in vogue, though.

Below is a bridge that SMD offers which I think is attractive. I've bought them and they look and work well. $20 bucks. You do have to drill the holes. Easy alternative to making your own bridges if you just plan on doing a few ukes. (yeah right)

Deluxe_Ukulele_Bridge.jpg

If you’re doing a string through bridge, be sure you have an adequate bridge patch. Nice thing is the extreme break angles you can implement if you wanted. I moved from string through to a “standard” tie bridge because I saw some of my instruments make it to stages; I’ve been on stage when strings break, and unless you’re BB King, it can be an issue.

And Dave has a good point about the Turner Tilt-back saddle - you need to be aware of where your actual contact point on top of the saddle is specifically in relation to your scale length. The higher the action, the greater the compensation (and vice versa), but that in and of itself is an advantage.
    Last edited by Kekani; 12-03-2018 at 07:55 PM.

GREAT vid, Aaron! I'm going to start singing the blues whenever I change strings.

Good point about the bridge plate. Mine are carbon fiber so there's not much to worry about. As far as I know, a wood plate is fine if beads are used properly, with the knot tied so that the bead can slide along the string as opposed to tying the bead into the knot. The knot should pull the bead against the plate to maximize contact area.

Quote Originally Posted by saltytri View Post

Good point about the bridge plate. Mine are carbon fiber so there's not much to worry about. As far as I know, a wood plate is fine if beads are used properly, with the knot tied so that the bead can slide along the string as opposed to tying the bead into the knot. The knot should pull the bead against the plate to maximize contact area.
    I used a C.F. patch when I did string through, a la David Hurd; still do it for my pinned Tiples. Threw a bunch of beads away a few years back. I’m thinking flat washer may be best, but never got around to it.

So, I thought I had a 1/8 in by 1/8 inch shank spiral downcut router bit. Turns out it's an engraving bit which means it doesn't go very deep. I would like to find something that's a good 3/8 inch cutting depth. Using it on my Dremel with a
    plunge base that I just bought for that purpose. Any ideas?
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

I know a guy that has a few, but I wouldn't recommend a Dremel for saddle slots, although I know that's what they get used for.

Get a compact router/router, and one like this (I use Whiteside from a local Woodcraft).
    https://www.amazon.com/CMT-192-001-1.../dp/B000P4NQGQ

Thank you for the quick reply! I do have a Bosch Colt but the plunge base was two or three times more than a plunge base for the Dremel.

That pic of the Pernambuco uke isn't mine- thats David Ingalls.

I also do string through bridges (with a .018" carbon fiber bridge plate and 'gem stone' permanent buttons thingys, [instead of beads]- see video below). Eric devine uses an ebony bridge plate- either work. Also, if you retro fit a piece of ebony or rosewood onto the inside of an already built instrument (i did it yesterday for a guitar repair)

and

Last edited by Beau Hannam Ukuleles; 12-05-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Thread Information