Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bridge options for tenor

Chuck, Lee Valley tools have a 1/8 in dremel bit. Search their site for
    product number 86j04.06. I tried to add a direct link but the forum software says its spam.???????

Thank you, Beau. I have no plan for this kind of bridge but it lloks like you shoot for about a 45 degree angle up to the saddle. basically on the uke you were stringing up, the holes are about 1/2 way between the back edge of the bridge and the saddle. Is there any advantagle/disadvantage to that angle and placement? and do you drill the holes straight down from the top? Perhaps you pre-drill the bridge?
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

My bridges are 4" x 3/4", and about 1/4" (6mm-7mm) thick. (Either African blackwood or ebony)

Saddle slot is 1/8" wide x 5mm deep and tilted back about 6-7 degrees.

The front edge of the saddle slot is about 5mm back from the front edge of the bridge.

String holes are about halfway between back edge of saddle slot and back of bridge.

String holes are drilled straight down, but not all the way through- (this stops glue coming up the holes when you glue the bridge on.) I counter sink the holes and dremel string ramps too (see attached video)

Welcome to the brain of an Aussie living in Merica- i use inches and mm on the same job!!!

Last edited by Beau Hannam Ukuleles; 12-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    Welcome to the brain of an Aussie living in Merica- i use inches and mm on the same job!

😉😉

I am finding myself getting used to the meaning of numbers metric and better able to think in those terms. I still "translate" through imperial though. It isn't like I think in metric terms!
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

Any tips on safely cutting an accurate closed-end, tilted saddle slot? Bridges are small and hard to hold, and I'd rather not stick my finger into a spinning router bit - again.

THis jig idea i stole from the might Aaron Oya !
    Last edited by Beau Hannam Ukuleles; 12-07-2018 at 05:17 AM.

I am going to build the jig that Kekani demoed in a video in this thread. I like the idea. :-)

Here is a shot of the LMI plan for a bridge. Note the reference to compensation. I see bridges set at a slight angle and wonder if that is what they drawer intended to communicate -that you drop the low end back (if using the low string verseus high tuned) a hair less than 1/16". Or are you dropping the whole saddle back that amount? Not trying to be perfect here; just want to undearstand and learn.

Gratefully,
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been through a lot of ukes. I'd rate bridges:
    1. string through
    2. traditional tie on.
    3. pin [but they do look good]
    4. slot, which can by necessity be converted to string through, but the looks deteriorate.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thank you. Yes, I have decided to do the string-through style. LMI plan does not show that but I'm getting a picture, thanks to this forum. :-)

Thread Information