Ono Cocobolo Tenor to Benefit Fire Victims

saltytri

Reaction score
We're up the road a ways from the horrible fire in and near Paradise, California. Through a local nonprofit, my wife and her buddies are getting together a package of clothes, toys, other items and cash for a family that lost everything.
All proceeds from the sale of this instrument will be used to purchase trade tools for the dad and the balance will go toward other necessities and cash for the family.

I finished this tenor within the last year and kept it for myself. It hasn't been played much. You know how that goes when you have access to too many instruments. There are no dents, scratches or other signs of use.
There is a small finish defect on the body at the heel of the neck and the sides turned out a bit browner than the back. These can be seen in the photos. Otherwise, the instrument is in prime condition and has pretty much all the options that I offer.
The specifications are standard as shown on my web site. Here are the particulars:

Cocobolo back and sides
Honduran mahogany one-piece neck
Curly koa rosette
Sitka spruce top
Radiused fretboard
Ebony bindings and tail graft
Ebony fretboard, bridge and peghead overlay
Side sound port
Pore-filled, glossy polyurethane finish on the body
Pore-filled, satin epoxy finish on the neck
Gotoh UPT tuners
Strung low G with Thomastik-Infeld basses and Savarez trebles
Black leatherette Oahu case (courtesy of theukulelesite.com)

The tonal quality is what you would expect from a rosewood instrument.

The regular price for this instrument would be $2210. Sale will be to the best offer over $1000 (plus shipping and insurance) received by 6pm PST on Sunday 12/9.
Shipping must be to a US address because of the CITES restriction on all true rosewood species.

45281732175_f214f854af_c.jpg

32322078328_f8e9b12574_c.jpg

45281731245_7bd82cfce7_c.jpg

32322077608_e7db3d1720_c.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I wish I could afford to bid on this. Just can't do it right now.

My sister in Reno suggested that the family donate to the relief charities to help people displaced by this terrible fire. Reno has a huge number of "refugees" from Paradise and the other areas that were burned out. They lost everything, houses, cars, and even their jobs.

She sent me this website information on how to help, if you don't know of an organization to donate to"

www.kqed.org/news/11705542/how-to-help-camp-fire-victims

I have no affiliation with any of the organizations or KQED. Just thinking of the victims that have been left with nothing.

Thanks David for offering your fabulous instrument for this worthy cause. And thank you to your family and friends for their efforts as well.

Last edited:
The regular price for this instrument would be $2210. Sale will be to the best offer over $1000 (plus shipping and insurance) received by 6pm PST on Sunday 12/9.

David, that's a beautiful uke, and donating it to help a family devastated by the Cam Fire is very, very generous of you! What's the preferred method for you of submitting an offer? Private message on UU? Mahalo!

My sister in Reno suggested that the family donate to the relief charities to help people displaced by this terrible fire. Reno has a huge number of "refugees" from Paradise and the other areas that were burned out. They lost everything, houses, cars, and even their jobs.

She sent me this website information on how to help, if you don't know of an organization to donate to"

www.kqed.org/news/11705542/how-to-help-camp-fire-victims

Kenn, thanks for the info. I'm passing it on to the "brain trust" of this operation. That would be my wife and her buddies, of course. :)

David, that's a beautiful uke, and donating it to help a family devastated by the Cam Fire is very, very generous of you! What's the preferred method for you of submitting an offer? Private message on UU? Mahalo!

The others have come in by private message. :) :)

That's a beautiful ukulele David, and a very kind gesture on your part as well!

Thanks, Kevin! One of the great things about knowing how to make ukuleles and enjoying it so much is that I can just make another one. :D

Well, friends, the response with a day and a half to go has been very gratifying! I never wanted this to be an auction format with the attendant competitive nature because it is enough that people offer whatever they are moved to offer. One thing that popped into my head, though, was that there needs to be a rule to apply if two people make the same highest offer. So, if this happens, the one that is first in time wins. Thanks for all the interest that has been shown!

Good news! The ukulele has been sold to one of our UU members and the funds will shortly be in the hands of a community organization that is taking a lead in the recovery effort in and around Paradise. I’m especially pleased that the sale was successful beyond my expectation and thankful for the generous spirit of the ukulele community.

David

Good news! The ukulele has been sold to one of our UU members and the funds will shortly be in the hands of a community organization that is taking a lead in the recovery effort in and around Paradise. I’m especially pleased that the sale was successful beyond my expectation and thankful for the generous spirit of the ukulele community.

David

That is wonderful David, it was very thoughtful of you to do this. Congratulations to the new owner, great Karma all the way around, may he or she truly enjoy it.

Top Bottom