Thread: Baritone tuning with guitar

Default Baritone tuning with guitar

Hi all

I have just dropped my tenor from low GCEA to high dGBE tuning to suit my deep voice range. I "strum and sing" as my playstyle. I really like the pitch but the tone is not as resonant and ringing as it was on my tenor, so I am thinking of replacing with a baritone ukulele.

Does anyone have experience playing a baritone alongside a guitarist? I am worried my playing will just disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    Hi all

I have just dropped my tenor from low GCEA to high dGBE tuning to suit my deep voice range. I "strum and sing" as my playstyle. I really like the pitch but the tone is not as resonant and ringing as it was on my tenor, so I am thinking of replacing with a baritone ukulele.

Does anyone have experience playing a baritone alongside a guitarist? I am worried my playing will just disappear.
    The main trouble is volume and preceived "brightness. A steel string acoustic guitar is much louder then any baritone ukulele. Also the brighter tone of steel strings are more dominant then nylon. If the person playing guitar is sensitive to this and can throttle back so you are heard it will work fine.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

What about a tenor guitar? I have a blueridge and I basically think of it as my steel-stringed baritone uke. It is loud and resonant and bright.

The arrangement of the music can be made so that each instrument has its own part. You just have to put some work into the arrangement so the two instruments are complimentary and don't interfere with each other. If you just try to play together without thinking about the music, you will get a random result.

I play both a guitar and baritone uke in a bluegrass band. I use a pick when playing with them. Brings out the volume and gives a clear, bright nylon sound on the bari. If you're too soft in the volume get amplified.
    For Picks I use a Dunlop pick around.073 or a Bill Stokes 1.25mm

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    Hi all

When you say you "dropped your tenor from low GCEA to high dGBE tuning," do you mean by dropping that you retuned the strings that were on it, or did you buy a special set of baritone tuning strings made for tenor scale? As has been mentioned, a non-steel string baritone is going to sound muted compared to a guitar anyway, but if your tenor with baritone tuning sounds more muted than it sounded with tenor tuning, you may want to consider brighter strings. I'm not sure who makes baritone strings for tenor scale these days, but fluorocarbons come in both "warm" and "bright" variations, and I'd consider bright ones for more volume.

I also recommend a steel stringed instrument. I have a steel string baritone and a couple of tenor guitars and steel strings have more punch and sustain, in case that's the sound you're going for. But don't put steel strings on an instrument not designed and built for them -- they have a lot more tension and will likely rip the bridge off of, or warp the sound board of, a tenor ukulele designed for nylon or fluorocarbon strings.

Thread Information