Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Necks!! Drop your 2 cents here..

Exclamation Necks!! Drop your 2 cents here..

I have come to like the big round neck that is on my Compass Rose and after playing that I have started to pay more attention to varying necks and my grip.
    On some necks (typically narrower or with a flatter back side), the flesh on my palms some time reaches and mutes the A string and avoiding that is a bit uncomfortable.
    On the other end of the spectrum is the neck on my Cocobolo Super Soprano. It is really nicely finished (fret ends, radius neck, smoothness of the neck) but it is a bit too narrow for me.
    I have 2 ukes in the pipeline and I will surely be specifying the neck I want..
    How has your experience been?
    Here is a pic from the ukulele site
    Last edited by kerneltime; 12-06-2018 at 08:51 PM.

I like the neck on my concert Flea.

Feels "perfect" in my hand
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

I too, prefer a fuller neck profile, when I play my ukes.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I prefer 1 7/16 - 1 1/2 inch nut size. I prefer medium sized necks, in a more rounded shape rounded. Flat, squared off necks like Magic Fluke or Famous (Kiwaya) aren't comfortable to me. The shape of the neck on my Loprinzi was fine, but the thiness of the neck was bothersome. My favorite for comfort is my KoAloha.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

Prefer much shallower profiles - flatter on the back the better - but with wide nut widths.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Kerneltime, just like you I prefer a deeper neck, .750" with a round profile, no flat spot on the back. Early on I got a Pono pro classic and loved the neck. All my commissions for custom build ukes specified that same neck profile, with radius, a must for me. I have bought and sold many used high quality ukes, culling the ones with slim necks.

By the way I love the glamour shot of your Compass Rose, nice neck and backside Can we see the front. I had a Compass Rose 5 string, that had a FAT neck
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-07-2018 at 02:42 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I havenít really figured out exactly what geometry makes a neck comfortable. Several combinations work for me.
    Iíve got thin, thick, wide, and narrow necks on my ukes. All seem feel right on the specific instruments I have. The specific neck profile, rounder or flatter seems to help with the other parameters. Go figure?

Oh... Beautiful Compass Rose!
    Last edited by Doc_J; 12-07-2018 at 03:08 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

My KoAloha concert is the favorite neck I've played so far. If all the ukes, I bought had that I would be very happy.
    Last edited by technicalta; 12-07-2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: word
    Kanile'a K-3 Tenor
    KoAloha KCM-00

I prefer a round neck profile over a flat and square profiled neck. My ideal nut width is between 35 and 37mm, whereas 38mm (1.5") on Kanilea and Islander feels a bit to wide. Instead, a radius fretboard makes playing more comfortable for me. As someone else has mentioned, there should be enough outside spacing from the A string to the edge of the fretboard so the string is not muted by the palm of the fretting hand.

I like the neck profile of Pono and my KoAloha Opio tenor, both feeling very similar to other ukes I own, some of which were made by highly praised custom builders such as Luis Feu de Mesquita (LFdM), Jerry Hoffmann, Beau Hannam, Jay Lichty or Noa Bonk (Ko'olau). All of which are not thin, but perfectly rounded.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Something I've never thought about much. Threads like these come out and I have to go down to the ukulele corner in the basement and see. I do know that I thought that I would like a wider neck and I didn't in practice. But I'll admit that I came to that conclusion by playing my friend's ukulele. I've not had to live with one. I tend though to just get used to things, so if I had a wide neck ukulele I would probably play it and get used to it after a while and it would be good.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information