Necks!! Drop your 2 cents here..

As I said in my earlier post. I've never paid attention to the neck, but after examining my ukes, I like what I have. Their necks are wide and shallow. My kamaka's neck isn't perfectly round; it feels like its edges a bevel to them. I do have a Kala baritone which is my clunker and its neck is very round and a little bit deeper. And of course my tenor guitar has a weird neck: it is thin but deeper than my others. It is almost bulbous.

One of my favorite necks is on my Godin Multiuke tenor. It's rounded more of a "D" shape with radiused board. Satin, silky smooth finish. 1-3/8" nut. Just a joy to play.

My Aaron Oya tenor had a lovely neck as well. He flattens the back. But not quite as much as on a Kanile'a.

The chunkiest neck is on my Pono Slothead tenor. It is a deep "C" shape. Deeper than the Pono paddle headstock tenors.

I have come to like the big round neck that is on my Compass Rose and after playing that I have started to pay more attention to varying necks and my grip.
On some necks (typically narrower or with a flatter back side), the flesh on my palms some time reaches and mutes the A string and avoiding that is a bit uncomfortable.
On the other end of the spectrum is the neck on my Cocobolo Super Soprano. It is really nicely finished (fret ends, radius neck, smoothness of the neck) but it is a bit too narrow for me.
I have 2 ukes in the pipeline and I will surely be specifying the neck I want..
How has your experience been?
Here is a pic from the ukulele site

For me my Iriguchi has a standard nut width with deeper, rounded back with a slightly radiused fretboard. It is perfect for me and my short, chubby fingers. I have yet to feel another neck like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom