A bright soprano

aien89

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I already own a Cordoba SM15, a wonderful soprano. It is quite bassy though and I would like to add another soprano which has a more bright sound.

Which can you recommend?

My budget will be around 2-300 usd, but my options here in Denmark are limited to two stores: Thomann.de and gear4music. So bear that in mind when you recommend. Also, I can’t really buy second hand ukuleles as people simply don’t sell them much here in Denmark.

Thx everyone. Have a great weekend.

Really, you need to go somewhere where you can try a lot of ukes. If you want a particular sound, range or timbre, you can only find it with your ears.

Don't go without them!

Best wishes on your quest.

John Colter.

ps. I would pay particular attention to ukes with a spruce front. It is an over simplification to say that spruce fronts are brighter, but in my experience, spruce fronts are brighter.;)

I would think a slimline one would be brighter (although maybe not so loud). If it were me limited just to Thomann, I'd give this one a try:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/kala_solid_spruce_travel_soprano.htm
In fact if I had some spare cash I'd be tempted to give it a try myself regardless.

Of course tuning up to ADF#B or even BbEbGC will make a soprano sound brighter too.

In Europe, I’d take a look at a Bruko soprano, brighter than most, and very reasonably priced.

Excellent recommendation. I friend has an all maple Bruno soprano and it is "banjo" bright. Well made all solid wood German instruments in your price range

Spruce top ukes are usually bright and loud. I have an Ohana with maple sides and back, spruce top. Very bright.

Excellent recommendation. I friend has an all maple Bruno soprano and it is "banjo" bright. Well made all solid wood German instruments in your price range

I agree, a maple Bruko is quite bright, especially a flat or 3/4 thickness model.

Another recommendation for a soprano Bruko!

Yes, a Bruko is definitely worth a look/listen.

Jphn Colter.

Where in Denmark do you live?

Showrooms I know, I you want to try first hand:
In Copenhagen Akustikken has a nice showroom of Ukuleles in their shop - I don't know if the Århus store has that, if you live in Jutland.
They have Cordoba and Kala ukuleles, perhaps a few Martin ukuleles - they used to at least.

If you are looking to try a Brüko, which some people recommend, I know that WoodSound in Blågaardsgade in Copenhagen sells that brand. I dont know how many varieties they have in stock, I only tried the one they had in the store when I was there back in the spring to get a guitar.

4Sound has a few Ukuleles in their Copenhagen store, but not many considered the size of the music shop. I don't know about the departments in the rest of Denmark.

Online stores:
You are definately not limited to Thomann and Gear4Music!
Besides danish shops that also sell online - 4Sound has more in store online than in their physical shops - all EU shops ship to DK without customs hassle.
I only bought an Ukulele from Thomann once. It was Luna ukulele that I was not satisfied with - probably can't blame Thoman, but I have only used them for strings, tuners etc. since.
If you hurry before Brexit, I can recommend two british online stores that ship to Denmark:
- Southern Ukulele Store
- World of Ukes
They both have very serious selections of quality ukes.
For about £200-250, you can get something pretty nice. I have two solid wood ukes with a retail price like that.

So, about the recommendation for a bright soprano - I can't help. I don't play sopranos, nor go for the brightest sound.
My long neck soprano is also a bit boomy on the C-string sometimes, but since it is mahogany it would not have been your first pick for a bright sound anyway.

Last edited:
If you ever get to try one, please play a Lanikai SPS-S solid spruce top. This uke totally surprised me with its nice appointments (Grover tuners, bound fretboard, very nice thick embroidered gig bag), big volume, and beautiful bright tone. And the price leaves room to pay your luthier for a set-up to get the action perfect, plus a new set of fluorocarbon strings.

My only complaint is the installed strap pegs (since I'm mostly a couch player) - but some people consider them a real asset as they don't have to install pegs on their own.[SUP][/SUP]

I think I need a lesson on what classifies as "bright" or "bubbly" or "bold"... To me my mahogany concert is exactly what I'd call bright - it's very crisp and sharp and clear.

Buying ear-blind is always a bit of a gamble, you may find you go through a few before you find the one you want...
Also, just to second that southern ukulele and world of Ukes are great options. I've also brought from thomann and was happy.

Top Bottom