Season 356 - An Underrated Decade

RAB11

Reaction score
Happy 2:45 am everyone!

Apologies for my lateness, been a very long and tiring week at Casa B-B and I was already in bed by the time i remembered I needed to do an intro vid.

Obviously can't do one at this ungodly hour so I'm going to type it up while I feed Isaac instead.

This week celebrates a decade that in my opinion is not always looked upon as favourably as others but plenty of good things happened depending on your perspective.

There was grunge which then morphed into alt rock, there was hip hop going mainstream, there was Britpop, boy and girl bands a plenty, RnB, indie, singer-songwriters galore. Man United were good at football and your benevolent host was born. It was also the golden age of Disney films with Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Lion King, Pocahontas, Milan, Toy Story and Nightmare Before Christmas all released in this decade with the best original songs from Disney since the Sherman brothers.

I am of course talking about the 90s. A wonderfully diverse decade that really had something for everyone. It's nearly 30 years since the start of it (much as I try not to remind myself) and deserves to be looked on with the same nostalgia as the 60s, 70s and 80s now are.

So bring me songs that were originally released in the 90s, or are about the 90s. Bonus, non-redeemable points are available if you capture the 90s ethos of appearing edgy and cool but actually being ridiculously cheesy.

Christmas songs from this decade are welcome and I would like to preemptively nominate All I Want For Christmas Is You as the official unofficial song of the season.

So bring me your best. Looking back through past seasons i could see only one dedicated to the 90s and that was some time ago. Just not right when we've had numerous seasons dedicated to the 60s, 70s, 80s, even 21st Century music.

Normal rules apply, please only bring one song a day for now. This may be lifted as the week goes on. Sadly I'm not in a position to offer prizes but you will have my full attention.

PLAYLIST

Edit: now with added intro vid

Last edited:
The '90s was an AWESOME decade of music. Plus, this is the second '90s themed season, which also makes me happy. These days I rarely have time to do anything for the seasons, but if I manage anything at all, it will be by Rammstein. You have been warned!

A golden age! Though I don’t like to be reminded of the time elapsed either. Please stop reminding me.

a wonderful decade indeed!!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh brill!!!!!!!!!! :rock:+++++++++++++++++++++++

FAB theme!

I remember last time I did Rammstein, you joined me... Or rather, I dared you to do it first, and then I joined you... I can't think of anything that better embodies the '90s ethos of trying to appear edgy but actually being really cheesy.

Er, the '90s ... yikes! And who on earth is Rammstein???? This will be challenging, Ryan!

I remember last time I did Rammstein, you joined me... Or rather, I dared you to do it first, and then I joined you... I can't think of anything that better embodies the '90s ethos of trying to appear edgy but actually being really cheesy.
my version is probably my most unliked video of all time!! in terms of thumbs downs, and "this is rubbish" comments!!!!!!!!!! :cool: (you can't please everybody!!!!!!!!)

i remember your cover was fab :worship: i just went looking so i could enjoy it again but i couldn't find it - is it still on your channel? do you have a link?

my version is probably my most unliked video of all time!! in terms of thumbs downs, and "this is rubbish" comments!!!!!!!!!! :cool: (you can't please everybody!!!!!!!!)

i remember your cover was fab :worship: i just went looking so i could enjoy it again but i couldn't find it - is it still on your channel? do you have a link?

I liked yours!

I've set all my videos to "unlisted" and that one was on my old channel where all my uke stuff was unlisted anyway. Here it is (n.b. this is not an entry for this season). Also, please be aware that this was back when I struggled to put more than a few chords together on the uke, so it won't be up to the standard of my recent stuff.

Any Nickelback will result in immediate dismissal from the season.

Partly because I'm not even sure if they were around in the 90s

Ah- the nineties are when I first started doing radio in college. Also when I met Mel. Trying to think of what my favorite record was of that era...Likely Dinosaur Jr.s “Where you Been?” Regretfully (or blessing), I don’t think I can pull any of it off without about a month.
I wonder if I was a really patient boy Mel would do the “I wait I wait I wait” part from another favorite?
This is gonna be fun Ryan- excellent season.

The nineties were also when I realized there was good music out there that was not punk or early reggae, my standard fare in high school...and that punk was becoming very “unpunk.” These guys drove me bonkers in 93...made me spot and swear, but I think they wrote a good pop song here (now at I am way less punk) and the addition of Ukulele? Excellent. 1993.

Last edited:
And sometimes the <TCK> rule just kicks in. There were two videos on my radar when I bought Melissa the first ukulele in this house that now has forty. One was a bloke from Tasmania name Eugene...quite a snappy dresser, doing an old tune called “When you wore a tulip” and killing it. The other was from the nineties and it still kills me. Our very own Mike Krabbers was the first ukulele video I ever saw and I figured I wanted to part of what he was doing. This pre-dates the Seasons, but Mike was here quite a bit back in the early days...anyway, I think this is just brilliant and well, it made me an ukulele player (for better or worse). May 5th 1992, House of Pain, Krabbers style. I love this video for about a billion reasons.

</TCK>

Which two musical acts can you see at the same concert for just 45c?

Wait for it...

Fifty Cents and Nickelback!

Badumm-tshhh

Top Bottom