Season 356 - An Underrated Decade

Here's a David Allan Coe song from 1997. I'm not a religious person per say, but I think a lot of people can relate to this song, and have felt like others around them in their lives are expecting too much from them.

From the mighty mighty Heart off their 1990 album Brigade. Written by producer Mutt Lange. Pretty iffy sexual politics, but still a great rock/pop song.

From David Olney's 1991 album Roses the song Millionaire
with Celestial cymbals, double beat snare, and electronic noises

[FONT=&quot]Well, I started out with one long dollar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gambled with the man and I won me another[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I bought me a gun and I robbed my brother[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm bad, but I don't care boys, I'm gonna be a million-aire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Well, I hopped on a ship and we sailed on the waves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dealt in rum and we dealt in slaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Left my captain and sold him brave[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He's gone, but I don't care, I'm gonna be a millionaire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How many of you wanna see me dead?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How many of you wanna have my head?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How many of you just live your lives?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wishing you were me boys, wishing you were me?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Well, I married rich, a pretty little wife[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brought her misery every day of her life[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She slit her wrist with a silver knife[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can't blame that on me boys, her money belongs to me[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Well, I found myself in a good position[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To buy myself some cheap politicians[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bought myself a big election[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That's just how it went boys, now I own the president[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How many of you wanna see me dead?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How many of you wanna have my head?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How many of you just live your lives?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wishing you were me boys, wishing you were me?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When you say your prayers down on your knees[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ask the Lord, forgive you, please[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If it crosses your mind say one for me[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I know where I'm bound boys, I know where I'm bound[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cause I started out with one long dollar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gambled with the man and I won me another[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I bought me a gun and I robbed my brother[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm bad, but I don't care boys, I'm gonna be a millionaire[/FONT]

It would be downright criminal for me to start anywhere other than Nirvana. This riff and solo was basically one of the first things I ever learnt to play on guitar, never been able to sing it though. Some would say I still can't.

Fish (not Phish) was the original lead singer/songwriter of Marillion. He went solo in the late 80s and this is the title song from his 1991 album. A very simplified version. I kind of got out of breath singing this one.

<TCK> I am unapoligetically judge-y, and when this song came out in 1996, I was already pretty pissed about having to wear a tie to work (I know many have done worse for money now...and I no longer have to wear the tie) this just made things worse.
It became the anthem of frat boys who had too many wine coolers, or sixteen year olds who were so “edgy” they were driving brand new BMW’s, and it was super ironic and irritating and to me signaled the end of the world (really no, that was the last show Green Day played before they signed to a major label...but I have to stay on track). Anyway, I trained myself to hate it. Melissa is amazed I played this. AMAZED.
Until it fell off all those folks radar and become something I could sit down and listen to. And they said that “Dock of the Bay” was a great post-humous release.
I got something for those folks punk ass. </TCK>
Santeria - Sublime

I like this band, though I've never been a massive fan. And I had something else planned for this evening. But then on my way into work this morning I learned from the radio that today (Dec. 10) is Meg White's birthday. So I couldn't resist slapping this together before I have to get dinner started. Sorry it's at about 3/4-speed; I don't know too many people who could keep up with The White Stripes.

From their self-titled debut, which was released the summer of 1999 here in the States.

As someone who graduated high school in 1995 and worked in music retail, I have opinions about 1990s music and nostalgia. That said, my dad died a few days shy of my 20th birthday in 1997. He’s been on my mind a lot this week, so I wrote part of a song for him. If anyone has suggestions for a title or chorus, please let me know.

This is a 1997 song from the Ben Folds Five. Which was just three people, but Folds thought it sounded better than Ben Folds Three.

So many good songs across all genres, but I stuck to my country roots for this one... Hal Ketchum's "Small Town Saturday Night" from 1991.

Here's a song from 1999 by Jim Lauderdale, and it's also the title of one of his very best CD's IMO. I love this song, find it addictive. I did this on ukulele quite awhile back, this time I did it on dulcimer, uke and mandolin, and it was a real challenge to make the switches. Not a perfect take, my 4th try here, but it is authentic.

From 1998’s album “Fin de Siecle” by Neil Hannon, aka The Divine Comedy. To fill the sound out a bit I recorded concert uke on one iPad then played that back and recorded onto second iPad.

Nineteen Nine-Tease? Check!
With Extra Cheese? Check!
With Saucy Sleaze? Check!
In Capable Keys? Gb. G-flat? Wait a sec....and what about those tricky half-bars thrown in there?

Hoooooboy! This is gonna take awhile to figure out.

Last edited:
Ahoy
Normally I have to rummage around for something that fits the weekly theme - this time I have the opposite 'problem'... I am not sure which I like more :D
I have been playing Wu Tang Clan for myself for years and have never tried it 'for real', now I have a reason to complete this song.
Da Mystery of Chessboxing is a great song and, unlike a lot of rap, neither violent nor misogynistic - it is simply a song where a bunch of rappers boast about their skills using poetic language.
In order to justify my love for hip hop I often point to this wonderful vocabulary research https://pudding.cool/2017/02/vocabulary/ which shows that when comparing the language used in Shakespeare (often said to have been one of the best users of the English language) to the language used by the Wu Tang Clan then the Wu uses more unique words than ol'Shakey (S=5170 unique words in a 35000 word corpus and Wu=5895 unique words within their first 3500 recorded words)
So, my reason for liking rap and hip hop is that the vocabulary is comparable to the works of the Old Bard himself ;)
Anyway, here is my attempt at Da Mystery of Chessboxing - there are a lot of words to cover as there are 7 rappers that have verses/choruses in this song and I apologize for my lack of enunciation and diction in the final verse or two - but, I am a foreigner so... who cares.

Last edited:
I am beginning to suspect a huge international conspiracy - whoever is hosting the Season looks back at the songs I did the previous week, and picks a theme that one or more of those songs could have fitted. So, three days after I did something from the 90s by Pulp...
Anyway, after a bit of a panic, I found this one hiding in the "too many songs, not enough days" pile, and decided to give it a chance. A hit in '92 for Del Amitri.

Well I am blessed. Canadian overload on day one and double Del Amitri on Day 2! You guys are smashing this. Lovely mix of songs I've never heard by people I don't know, 90s classics from old faves and then a hefty portion of songs from acts that defined the era. You guys are spoiling me. Keep it coming

Top Bottom