Season 356 - An Underrated Decade

OK,here's a song from the 1990ies! A song by my favorite songwriter with my favorite country singer on background vocals.
I tried to cover Warren Zevon's lead vocals while my friend and bandmate Tom did a great job on Dwight Yoakam's backing vocals:
Heartache spoken here from Zevon's 1991 release Mr. Bad Example

It's absolutely criminal, CRIMINAL I SAY, to be four days into a season where the theme is songs from the 1990's and to have not heard any Weezer. This is something like what you might have heard when you dropped the needle on Side 1 of the Blue Album (recorded in 1993, released in 1994).

I know they have kind of had a long slow tail, and nothing is better than when viewed through the dusty lens of nostalgia, but their first two albums make them one of the best of the decade (for that genre anyway).

Last edited:
In 1998, the fourteen year old version of myself found a cd for 10 bucks at Walmart. By the third song I knew that music would forever be different for me. Here’s that third song.

1993. You couldn't swing a double-necked steel guitar in those days without hitting the great Junior Brown. Ryan, this has been a great week. My lousy cold makes it easier to do something approaching baritone vocals. I may squeeze in a couple more if the situation allows.

I am not good a choosing when the theme is wide, so I will just stick to the "theme song" :)

Would have been a good song for huge collaboration, if work hadn't been so busy before christmas. Everything needs to be finished before the holidays.

I thought I had posted this a couple of days ago but when I looked it's not there. I can only think that I clicked on "Preview" to check it was OK then forgot to then "Submit" before shutting my browser down.

The original came from Sting's 1993 Album, "Ten Summoner's Tales".

God I hope no one has done this. Punch Your Neighbor kitchen session. A very special tune from 1997
9 years ago there was a mmmmbop contest organised by Deech when that song was done
in many different styles I particularly like the Leonard Cohen version.
Full playlist is here Mmmmbop playlist.

In the early 2000s (yes I know that’s not the 90s - trust me on this one!) I was flicking through the TV channels and happened upon David Gray playing at a festival - might have been Glastonbury, but I can’t be sure. I hadn’t heard any of his music up until then, but it just blew me away. Next day I went out and bought his White Ladder album and it resided for many months thereafter in my car CD player and his wonderful songs were the soundtrack to every journey I made. The song I’m covering here was originally released as a single in late 1999 (see - told you to trust me!;) ) and I love it (his version I mean)!

As incredibly awesome all that distortion and soloing are, when you strip them away you find that J Mascis can write a little too. From 1993’s album, “Where You Been”.

I stayed out of the earlier discussion because I knew I was going to bring this one and I didn’t want to tip my hand. And maybe it’s because I came to Dinosaur Jr. a little later (Barlow has already left and Murph was on his way out), but “Living All Over Me” towers above they’re other albums.

Ok, I've been on a Tom Petty deep-cut jag this week, hope I'm not boring you. This one is Rhino Skin , also from his 1999 Echo album. Song about how you gotta be tough to make it through this world. Plus, any song that has "elephant balls" in the lyrics might be worth a listen! :D If you haven't heard the original, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijAPsFRzQk

Last edited:
A little late to the party this week! Initially I wasn't sure if i'd find much material from the '90's but it turned out to be much more fertile ground than I anticipated. Thanks for hosting Ryan, and thanks to Jon Duncan for his collaborative input!

There was something of a revival of traditional folk music in the 1990s with a new generation of talented young musicians coming to the fore.
This Child Ballad was recorded by Kate Rusby on her 1999 album "Sleepless". The images are pictures of wintery trees round our local area. I love the patterns of the trees in winter

Ahoy-hoy (I don't know why I like "ahoy" so much)
I am off to Germany for a few days and will not be record anything until late next week - I can't take an instrument with me and I don't have one there; yet, I go at least twice a year so I really should secure one there...
I recorded three 90s songs today and will upload them in the next three days as if I am home and all is normal.
Here is the 1st of the three and that is an EPIC song from my childhood. 'Blaze of Glory' is a song from the film 'Young Guns II' and is probably one of the reasons why I know English as me and my older brother loved this song and we went through the liner notes with a dictionary in order to know and understand the words.
Published in 1990, though it did take an extra year for the film to reach Iceland (I have no idea why my parents allowed me to watch this film at 8 yrs old)
Blaze of Glory

Last edited:
Top Bottom