Season 356 - An Underrated Decade

California Stars - Wilco

This is from the 1998 album Mermaid Avenue by Billy Bragg & Wilco. This was the project where they took old Woody Guthrie lyrics from unrecorded songs and brought them to life. I fiddled around with Garageband/multitracking some more again, to mixed results. I'm learning something new each time I go and noodle around in there.

Last edited:
A little something from the indie slacker kings of the 1990's, from their second record, "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain", released in 1994.

Also, Billy Corgan HATES this song, which makes it even more fun to play. I think Malkmus still lives rent free in Corgan's head, even after nearly 25 years.

Angels (1997) by Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers. The House Cat purred the solo. Tabs here

Guys - I haven't forgotten you. Been a manic 24 hours. I've got from ukecaster's latest Tom Petty offering to listen to and probably won't get the chance till tomorrow morning but you should all be on the playlist. Let me know if you're not, and keep it coming to keep me busy tomorrow

Hey guys, it's been a while!

Had a bit of time on my hands because I've just had surgery, the perfect opportunity to dip back into the seasons! However, I couldn't find my mic so the sound quality's a bit crappy, also, was winging it a bit so apologies for all the fluffy bits :)

Ahoy good people.
Here is some old school Beck 90s guitar fun (in the vein of pre 30s blues).
Recorded in Iceland and uploaded from Germany.

There is lots of controversy around this song, but the groove really captures some of the essence of nineties bands to me.

I had no idea what this song was about back in the day, but working on it now, I had to learn these cracked lyrics-- which was really tough going because I still could not figure out their meaning.
I decided that (for me) it was about people making multiple trips to the emergency room after OD-ing on various drugs, going "roundabout and roundabout" until they got out of the cycle.
Or until something took them out permanently.

When this song came out in the 90s, I thought it was incredibly stupid. I still think so, but now I also love it.

Right, just caught up to Ralf's phenomenal performance right here. You guys are spoiling me. Such a wide spectrum of music being brought and few of my all time favourites represented too. Thank you guys.

Looking forward to the final push before geoff's season tomorrow

What a great theme for this week! I grew up in the '90's - middle school, high school, and beginning of college, so hearing these songs makes me feel like a teenager again.
Here is my first song, a slowed-down version of Iris, by The Goo Goo Dolls, released in 1998. I once heard a rendition of this song which was similar to mine, by a woman singer. I don't who she was, but the way she performed the song was beautiful.

I'll have a second song tomorrow. Hope you enjoy! :)

Right, just caught up to Ralf's phenomenal performance right here. You guys are spoiling me. Such a wide spectrum of music being brought and few of my all time favourites represented too. Thank you guys.

Looking forward to the final push before geoff's season tomorrow

Season 357 Has been posted but remember, S356 runs all day tomorrow, in fact until 10am Monday morning if you're living hereabouts.

I recorded this earlier today, but foolishly forgot to post it after saving the file.
To fit in with the theme it is a song I wrote in 1990 for my band back then, but somehow it never got into our repertoire. I have always had a soft spot for it, so this theme seemed the ideal one to give it its public debut some 28 years after I wrote it.

I forgot to mention in the credits that the backing is by Band in a Box - a really wonderful programme that just gets better and better with every update. It provides great backing tracks in loads of styles and they are all programmable with chords you put in yourself and it is also an amazing learning tool. It has so many features that I have barely skimmed the surface of it myself.

The song takes me back to a time when I was friends with a couple and they split up and each of them wanted me to be judge, jury and preferably executioner of their ex-partner. Not an easy task, especially when you feel a divided loyalty to both of them.

Anyway, with a 90s sounding backing here is:

Coming in just under the wire. My one for Saturday. I had originally been planning on some Pearl Jam, but Radiohead were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this week. This is from O.K. Computer (1997).

As Andy rightly points out, we have criminally not had any Pearl Jam this week. Allow me to rectify that

:rock:

Ahoy
Here is the final song that I recorded before I left the country.
Take This Bottle from Faith No More's classic 1995 album "King for a day... Fool for a lifetime"

Top Bottom