Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Size 0 or 00 with slightly wider string spacing?

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    More so, my goal is to pay the "right amount" for the quality I am actually getting.

When it comes to pricing of guitars, I often wonder how much the price tag is affected by custormer biases or superstitions or legends with respect to:
    • Country of origin
    • Name recognition of the guitar's maker, or the guitar's seller
    • Pricing snobbery (If it costs $5000, it's got to be better than that $3000 piece of junk hanging next to it, right?)
    • Wow, this is the same model that's played by Joe Bananas, the world famous rock star!
    To some extent, perhaps - but I think that customer biases come into play more in the second-hand market than in the new guitar market. What I mean is that a maker prices their wares to be more or less competitive, with some inflation perhaps, for their name recognition. But I have a hunch that where the name recognition really factors in is on the second-hand market in the form of value retention where well-regarded makes (well-regarded for whatever reason including some you've listed) tend to retain value more than the products of their less well-regarded counterparts.

Having said all that - If value for $$ is your motivation, have you looked into Larrivees? They seem to offer some very wonderful guitars that, for whatever reason, seem often to take a bit of a beating on the second-hand market.
    Bruko No. 6 soprano
    Kiwaya KTS-4 soprano
    Mainland Mahogany Classic soprano
    Mainland Red Cedar soprano
    Ohana SK-28 soprano
    Cahaya CY-0112 concert
    Kiwaya KTC-1 concert
    Musicguymic's "Kolohe" brand - prototype concert
    Cordoba 24T tenor
    Kanilea Islander MST-4 tenor
    Cordoba 24B baritone

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    ...What I mean is that a maker prices their wares to be more or less competitive...
    I like your comments. They make a lot of sense.

Here's another weird thought that sometimes crosses my mind --- take the following *hypothetical example* -- a Martyn Model XYZ guitar has the maker's suggested retail price of $2,500. He puts several hundred of them on the market nation-wide & overseas. The Model XYZ gets very VERY favorable reviews by all guitar magazines & blogs.

My first wondering is this: were the instruments that were provided to those well-known reviewers 100% typical of the Model XYZ guitars that I might find at my local music store? Or did the Martyn Company cherry-pick the instrument that each reviewer received to try out?

Further, when I read guitar forums, I often read a thread that goes something like this *hypothetical example*: The OP reports how he went to a store that had 5 Model XYZ guitars in stock. He played all 5 of them & bought the one that he said was waaay better than the other 4. The thing is, of the remaining 4, won't 1 of them be better (to the skilled ear of a skilled musician) than the other 3? Sure it will, right? Then, of the remaining 3, 1 of them will be better than the other 2, right?

And so forth, until only 1 Model XYZ remains, and it is the Model XYZ that 4 or more other folks have judged to be the runt of the litter. So in walks Joe Bananas, an average so-so player, who has been playing a $100 plywood banger and has decided that he wants to move up to a real nice guitar. He buys that last Model XYZ -- the runt of the litter -- at the same price as the first 4 players paid. Why? Because -- gee whiz! it's a Martyn XYZ!

So.... what's wrong with this story?

Here's another weird thought that sometimes crosses my mind --- take the following *hypothetical example* -- a Martyn Model XYZ guitar has the maker's suggested retail price of $2,500. He puts several hundred of them on the market nation-wide & overseas. The Model XYZ gets very VERY favorable reviews by all guitar magazines & blogs.

My first wondering is this: were the instruments that were provided to those well-known reviewers 100% typical of the Model XYZ guitars that I might find at my local music store? Or did the Martyn Company cherry-pick the instrument that each reviewer received to try out?

Further, when I read guitar forums, I often read a thread that goes something like this *hypothetical example*: The OP reports how he went to a store that had 5 Model XYZ guitars in stock. He played all 5 of them & bought the one that he said was waaay better than the other 4. The thing is, of the remaining 4, won't 1 of them be better (to the skilled ear of a skilled musician) than the other 3? Sure it will, right? Then, of the remaining 3, 1 of them will be better than the other 2, right?

And so forth, until only 1 Model XYZ remains, and it is the Model XYZ that 4 or more other folks have judged to be the runt of the litter. So in walks Joe Bananas, an average so-so player, who has been playing a $100 plywood banger and has decided that he wants to move up to a real nice guitar. He buys that last Model XYZ -- the runt of the litter -- at the same price as the first 4 players paid. Why? Because -- gee whiz! it's a Martyn XYZ!

So.... what's wrong with this story?
    Beauty is in the ear of the beholder...........and sometimes the eye!!!

Brand recognition, no matter the product, TV, toaster, tennis racket, basketball shoes will always influence consumers. If your budget is up to $5000 then you have a lot of choices, if it is $500 then not as many.

To carry your scenario of 5 identical guitars farther. If 5 people came in at the same time and played all 5 guitars............ person A might like #1 guitar best, person B might like #3 guitar best, person C might might like guitar #2 best, etc. etc.

A top quality product usually won't have a complete dog in a sample of 5. But the sound can be a bit different and each one appealing to a different person. Do you want bright or warm, soft or loud, lots of sustain or quick note decay. At the end of the day you pick what you like to hear. It's just as with ukuleles a real cheap instrument stands little chance of sounding as good as an expensive instrument. This is due to the quality of materials used and the skill of the builder. It might get somewhat close and for some people that's good enough.

I'll end with this.....kinda takes your side. I bought a used Eastman E100 LTD, 00 size 12 fret solid spruce and sapelle, new price $900. Bought a used Taylor 512e 12 fret solid cedar and mahogany, new price $2800. They sound different of course but both sound great and I love listening to and playing the Eastman as much as the Taylor. But I have played some $900 Taylor's, Martins, Guilds etc That I didn't like the sound of. It's all personal preference
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-14-2018 at 02:38 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Wow! Really? Coz I was kinda pulling it outta my butt

I have come across a lot of variability from one example of any given acoustic guitar to another. I guess it's mostly due to the inherent variability between each piece of wood - but makers that strive for consistency can overcome quite a bit of the variation we, as buyers, might find when we take 3 different Model XYZs off the rack. Perhaps it's a bit sad that this consistency of product is likely most easily attained by mechanizing much of the process, as programmed robotic machines are much more precise in reproducing the many parts that go into an acoustic guitar. Maybe this is one of the reasons I find that Taylor's guitars seem more consistent "off the rack" than Martin's guitars ...as Taylor has invested heavily in robotics.
    Bruko No. 6 soprano
    Kiwaya KTS-4 soprano
    Mainland Mahogany Classic soprano
    Mainland Red Cedar soprano
    Ohana SK-28 soprano
    Cahaya CY-0112 concert
    Kiwaya KTC-1 concert
    Musicguymic's "Kolohe" brand - prototype concert
    Cordoba 24T tenor
    Kanilea Islander MST-4 tenor
    Cordoba 24B baritone

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    Wow! Really? Coz I was kinda pulling it outta my butt ... ...
    Some politicians have gone far doing exactly that -- for instances: Hillarity & The Donald. Maybe you should run for President or Governor or Senator or something. Play your uke or guitar on your political ads & you would win in a landslide (everybody loooves a picker).

@ DownUpDave -- That's what I'm always hunting for -- the $900 guitar that sounds as good as a $2800 guitar. That's a rare find, but it's what makes the hunt so enjoyable.
    Last edited by bellgamin; 12-14-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Thread Information