Lutherie Myths/Science

Naomi Wu - look her up on YT said in a recent product review, "Remember China was once a place where the highest craftsmanship could be had." It is an economy where if you want good and are prepared to pay for it, you can get it. It's about time 'we', meaning the ukulele community, stopped being sniffy about who 'owns' the ukulele. Anyone with a mind to do it can make a good ukulele. I have students who prove this every time they complete a course with me. And to be on topic - there is far too much snake oil being used in this industry to 'varnish' the biographies of some instruments and builders.

Ive not read the article yet but i'm not sure about the logic of better sounding instruments surviving longer. The thing is, better sounding instruments get played more.

I would certainly say that a lot of fancy instruments survived because fancy instruments get bought and never played (by kings, queens etc).

Yes indeed, the good ones get played a lot and get worn out quickly. The ones that survive are the ones that go under the bed or into a closet and sit their for decades until a grandchild decides to sell off the old stuff.

My daughter has an electric piano, and I don't know the difference between and electric piano and a keyboard, but there is. It has three settings to replicate the sound of a Steinway, a Baldwin, or a Yamaha. Who would have thought a Yamaha? My daughter tells me that Yamaha pianos are really really good. I guess those are the top three.

Kawai, Bechstein, Fazoli, Bosendorfer. I'm sure there are others.
The term keyboard can mean anything. Sometimes it refers to a specific type of electronic keyboard, of course it can also refer to an organ or an harpsichord because they all fall under the general term of keyboard instruments.
The electric piano has now morphed into the digital piano.

Top Bottom