Wow...an Unboxing!

I've started to do that a few times but I've never posted one. I guess the point is to capture the first impression but I generally find my first few minutes with an instrument not very instructive as it takes time to figure out its particular quirks.

No video, but here's a photo of a beautiful white box:

20181207_222440.jpg

:rolleyes:

This was brilliant, Bill. Thanks for the chuckles! :)
Jan

There is cardboard and then there is cardboard. It can affect the tone of the uke, especially on a long flight in an aircraft hold. Old cardboard is obviously the best, the paper fibres have aged and will make the uke resonate with some astonishing timbre that often takes time to absorb.
Also the air inside the bubble wrap bubbles is important. If they get it from the little bubbles in the ice from deep under the surface inside the Arctic Circle, it is much cleaner and older and imparts a softer and less harsh character to the uke's strings.
And I hope you don't get trapped in the rookie error of tearing brown packing tape, it has to be cut with a collectible Case Canoe Pocket Knife. I once used my little Puma Paro to cut the tape and the results were disastrous. The red tape is much better, especially if it has non-English writing on it that looks ancient and mysterious, even if it does just translate to "fragile handle with care".
The best thing is to avoid exposing a recently unpacked uke to a camera lens, it will subtlety affect the tone for sure, you need to wait at least 72 hours before taking a picture, you may as well play the uke I suppose.
The best part of the unboxing is when they work out where the box actually opens up.

I like watching them to be honest. That feeling of getting a new uke and watching a person go through that reminds me of the times I got my first ukulele and every one since.

I see all these "Unboxing" videos on YouTube, some where they don't even play or review the uke, like they're big fans of the packaging industry! Kinda weird, if you ask me. Am I alone?
I agree, when I've seen a couple of them and they don't actually use the item, I felt like I wasted my time. Stopped looking at them a long time ago.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I think the videos aren't really for anyone else, besides the person opening the box, it's an exciting time no denying that. Just getting a box on the front porch is stimulating, you all know that, it's the root of UAS! :D:shaka:

Some day, I'll post a picture of the dozens of boxes in my garage. :)

Yes, yes! We must keep the boxes. Some are made in that perfect ukulele shape that can only be used for ukuleles, and keep the styrofoam padding and huge plastic bags too. Don’t sqander their use by filling them with old, dead leaves. Oh! Oh! And the pieces of bubble wrap. If you can keep from popping the bubbles, it’ll probably be usable for years!

We’re very lucky musicians to have big roomy garages for our ukulele boxes and wrappings. Who knows, we may need them some day. I feel wise and grateful to have kept all of mine.
:eek:ld:

I did one 8 years ago as a ´video responsé to a Scottish guy’s video. How did it hold up?

Petey

The versatility of the ukulele is incredible. I just am in awe of how many things one can do with a ukulele that does not even involve playing it. But now unboxing. That even eclipses the show and tell non playing activity. It is never ending.

Last edited:
Totally odd, and I will never understand them.

Totally with you.

(Ps - I believe they came about when people were opening either very techy bits of kit with lots of accessories to show off (to show buyers what you get) or to show off fancy packaging like on Apple products. I ‘kind’ of get those too reasons... but... a ukulele???)

Maybe it is for those who are looking forward to seeing the bubble wrap and styrofoam packing peanuts. Incredibly stupid, but it certainly is proof that people will watch anything on YouTube

While we are griping, I have to admit that it drives me crazy when people have a review or video and they don't accurately tune the instrument.

Once upon a time, I placed an order for ten Ohana SK10 sopranos. The supplier confirmed shipment, but three weeks later there was no sign of them. My claim for a refund was underway when the box was finally delivered. It was a large cardboard carton, originally cubic in shape, but now unrecognizable. All eight corners were bashed in, there were gaping holes, and the whole thing was filthy and damp.

I carefully photographed the sorry mess, thinking it was going to end up as an insurance claim, but when I finally opened it up, all ten ukes had survived undamaged. I was gobsmacked! Each was wrapped in bubble wrap, in its own little cardboard box (the ubiquitous misshapen coffin type).

I should have made a video of that unboxing!

John Colter.

This could be possibly the first YouTube unboxing uke video. He mentions at the start about seeing others but pre-2009 would be difficult to find. His vid inspired me to do the same, but I did mine to share with the members of the German Ukuleleclub to show I got a German uke for the first time. Just a bit of fun.

Jimmy McGee in 2009 unboxes his KoAloha from Hawaii to Scotland. He does it in a very humble way, appreciating a great uke. Funny, I had no interest in Hawaiian ukes in 2009 and it took until 2015 to get one!!! hehe

Petey

LOL! I love some of these descriptions.

I'm keeping the beat up box from my Duke, just because it will probably be mailed to the next owner in it. I was actually amazed it made it from China in it. It looked like it had been drop kicked. Thanks UPS.

I put away all the boxes from my modest collection of various instruments in the attic, in case any should ever need re-homing. But were I to store even that small amount in the garage, we would have no room to park our vehicles or do the laundry! Some of you must have huge garages, or else be forced to park in the driveway or street!

bratsche

I put away all the boxes from my modest collection of various instruments in the attic, in case any should ever need re-homing. But were I to store even that small amount in the garage, we would have no room to park our vehicles or do the laundry! Some of you must have huge garages, or else be forced to park in the driveway or street!

bratsche

I wonder why ukists store boxes at all. It’s like we’re never really satisfied with our purchases and ready to shuck ‘em off at any time. Or maybe we might quit playin’ them and switch to some other instrument (me) next week and hafta store the ukes away.

Do we save the boxes when we buy pots and pans or a new lamp or a nice coat or a great hat etc etc etc. I have many other instruments, and they are all box less.
:eek:ld:

Last edited:
I don't really wanna watch unboxing videos either. I used to, but I became bored after the 14th one....

Top Bottom