Level frets

Timbuck

Reaction score
This jig a made a couple of months back has really been a success:D ..when gluing the fret board to the neck it presses the frets down on a hard ground flat steel plate until the glue has fully cured. As a result there is no distortion in the neck and the frets are perfectly level...No dressing or leveling afterwards required...apart from the fret ends.
IMG_2865 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

I did something very similar. Not having to level and re-crown is a great plus and it preserves the full height of the fret. It gets a little more difficult if you have cambered boards. Even on those I can hammer fret and only have to touch up 4 or 5 frets to get them level - not all across the fret, it's more like spot leveling.

I did something very similar. Not having to level and re-crown is a great plus and it preserves the full height of the fret. It gets a little more difficult if you have cambered boards. Even on those I can hammer fret and only have to touch up 4 or 5 frets to get them level - not all across the fret, it's more like spot leveling.
To be honest I did a little leveling afterwards but only I few thou had to come off ..I did it on my inspection surface plate with some 2000g wet and dry abrasive paper and no crowning was needed...if I'd left them alone they would most likely be ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom