Axminster band saw bearings

mikeyb2

Reaction score
My blade unexpectedly broke today whilst sawing a bit of ply. On closer inspection I found one of the lower guide bearings almost seized, and the other 2 lower bearings quite stiff. My fault I know for neglecting them.
The question is: do I replace them with some of the many Chinese ones seen on auction sites, or is there a Uk source for quality bearings.

The bandsaw is an Axminster Hobby series HBS250N

cheers Mike

Hi Ken, size is I/D 6mm, O/D 19mm x 6mm, there are 3.
cheers again.
On mine there are six 3 at the top and and 3 under the table...I will look up some for you that I would use the rubberseal type are the best but even those cannot stop the micro dust getting in "so never use the bandsaw without dust extraction" :rulez:

Last edited:
Looked on eBay and found these 626-2RS Miniature Bearing Rubber Sheilds 6mm x 19mm x 6mm Pack Of 2 copy this and paste into eBay these are the 2RS type which means (Double Rubber Sealed) better than the cheaper metal sealed ones that come with most bandsaws...It is possible to fix clogged ones by removing the outer covers with a small sharp point blade and wash out the sawdust with hot water (boiling them works as well), dry then re-grease, refit the covers and use again...I have done this many times on the blade guide bearings.. but would not recomend this on main bearings.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, mine also has 3 at the top but they run quite freely. I can't see any reference to "e"2RS on the ad but it does say rubber sealed both sides if that's what you mean. If so, I'll order a pack of 10, cheaper than 3 packs of 2.
Mike

Maybe not a good resource for the UK, but my go-to for parts like this is McMaster-Carr. Check out https://www.mcmaster.com/6153k25 for example. I know they ship to Canada, but not sure what UK shipping would look like. I've heard Raptor Supplies is similar in the UK, but never had cause to shop with them.

John

Maybe not a good resource for the UK, but my go-to for parts like this is McMaster-Carr. Check out https://www.mcmaster.com/6153k25 for example. I know they ship to Canada, but not sure what UK shipping would look like. I've heard Raptor Supplies is similar in the UK, but never had cause to shop with them.

John
Guide bearing on bandsaws take very little load ..in fact the side guides don't even make contact in set up..so the quality don't matter that much...the rear guide takes most pressure if you force the workpiece into the blade rather than letting the teeth do the work...it's just that the dust clogs them.

A quick update to say thanks to Ken for finding me the bearings, which are now installed and adjusted. The bandsaw has never been so quiet for quite a while. Merry Christmas, Mike.

Top Bottom