NUD: Blackbird Farallon

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My new Blackbird Farallon uke arrived on Friday, 7-Dec-2018, and so far I've just been noodling around on it and letting the strings settle in. The strings are Oasis Warms with a Low G, by the way.

I ordered it directly from Blackbird Guitars with the gloss sunburst finish, front position dots, side sound port, and MiSi pickup. I received it exactly eight weeks after placing the order.

It certainly looks and sounds amazing, but I'm not yet sure what I think of it. It's very different than any other uke I've owned, and it feels different. I get a sense that I'll need to spend a lot of time playing it, or maybe even play this ukulele exclusively for a season, in order to become accustomed to it. Anyway, pics or it didn't happen, righto? :cool:

20181207_230732.jpg20181207_230918.jpg20181207_231036.jpg20181207_231218.jpg20181207_231237.jpg

Congrats! What a beauty! Love the sunburst!

Congratulations. I’ve been considering same. Same spec. Is the gloss finish with it in your opinion? Also, third picture what is the relfection around sound hole? Very nice Uke

That is super pretty. If it sounds half as good as it looks you’re in good shape! Playing it for a season doesn’t sound like much of a hardship. I sure hope it becomes comfortable!

Congratulations. Looks amazing with the sunburst gloss. I’ve had my Farallon for about 4 months now. It feels easy to play and projects more than any other Uke I have tried so far, though I haven’t played that many during my first year and 4 months of playing Ukulele. Compared to what I have played, it definitely has a different tone and nice sustain. I still have the non wound low g oasis warm on, which I will change out soon, as I’m not so keen on the feel and tone of that string further up the fretboard. I think for me after 4 months in, i love everything about it, but its the tone that takes the most getting used to for me.

Congratulations. That sunburst is to die for, I love a sunburst and that is one of the best. I owned a Farallon and I can see what you possibly mean about the feel because the back is very arched. But I play with a strap so that was not an issue. As you say time spent with it should make you more accustomed to it.

Congratulations. Welcome to the blackbird family
I have the Farallon and the Clara. Both have that arched back. A strap would help steady the uke. Since you have the pick up. It is already strap ready. Look forward to hearing you play on the Farallon !
Thank you again for being my Nashville tour guide.

Congratulations. I’ve been considering same. Same spec. Is the gloss finish with it in your opinion? Also, third picture what is the relfection around sound hole? Very nice Uke

Is the gloss finish worth it? If you like a glossy sunburst finish, then yes. It's gorgeous! The 'halo' in the third photo is a reflection of a lamp hanging overhead.

Congratulations. That sunburst is to die for, I love a sunburst and that is one of the best. I owned a Farallon and I can see what you possibly mean about the feel because the back is very arched. But I play with a strap so that was not an issue. As you say time spent with it should make you more accustomed to it.

Yes, the back is rounded and slick, and wants to slide off my lap. I'll need a strap for sure!

Congratulations. Welcome to the blackbird family
I have the Farallon and the Clara. Both have that arched back. A strap would help steady the uke. Since you have the pick up. It is already strap ready. Look forward to hearing you play on the Farallon !
Thank you again for being my Nashville tour guide.

Thanks, Brenda. Hope you can come back again sometime! :)

Congrats!
I'm not a fan of sunburst at all, but yours is the best looking one I've ever seen.
I think you've found a keeper....

Congrats on the Blackbird. It looks stunning! I love mine and I consider it indispensable- but I had a rocky start with it. Out of the box my go-to uke songs didn't sound amazing on it. I have to laugh now but I almost returned it. It does have a unique voice and I had to adapt to bring out it's strengths.. Simply put it shines on finger picked tunes. It responds well to alternate tunings, in fact it taught me two or three, one which I used on While my Guitar Gently weeps in the 'December Beatles Christmas thread' with the tuning GCDF.

Once that started happening there was no turning back. If I had to keep just one of my ukes it would be the Farallon.

(Also would be remiss to not mention the plugged in sound with the MiSi- very musical and inspiring)

Last edited:
Congrats on the Blackbird. It looks stunning! I love mine and I consider it indispensable- but I had a rocky start with it. Out of the box my go-to uke songs didn't sound amazing on it. I have to laugh now but I almost returned it. It does have a unique voice and I had to adapt to bring out it's strengths.. Simply put it shines on finger picked tunes. It responds well to alternate tunings, in fact it taught me two or three, one which I used on While my Guitar Gently weeps in the 'December Beatles Christmas thread' with the tuning GCDF.

Once that started happening there was no turning back. If I had to keep just one of my ukes it would be the Farallon.

(Also would be remiss to not mention the plugged in sound with the MiSi- very musical and inspiring)

Yes, after only a week of playing mine, I'm starting to realize how amazing it is. The Farallon could end up being my 'desert island' uke, the only one I need. Well, I may need two of them; one for linear and one for re-entrant tuning, lol. :)

Yes, after only a week of playing mine, I'm starting to realize how amazing it is. The Farallon could end up being my 'desert island' uke, the only one I need. Well, I may need two of them; one for linear and one for re-entrant tuning, lol. :)

Cool- glad to hear it! I hope in 2019 to get around to playing a Clara!

I've had my Farallon for about two years now, and so far I have enjoyed everything about it - except that Reunion Blues RBX sorry excuse for a gig bag. It's way too big, and the neck rest is way too tall. A uke of this caliber deserves better. (Which is why I splurged on a Crossrock fiberglass case.)

attachment.php

Crossrock%203_zpsxxg1asdd.jpg

Crossrock%202_zpsfyinr07o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, besley​. I ordered a Crossrock for my Farallon, and it's a helluva case! Stout, yet very light. It's a wee bit roomy in width, but came with two strips of extra padding which snug things up nicely.

20190102_160832.jpg 20190102_161104.jpg

Gotta say I'm lovin' the Blackbird. Practising for a gig with it this weekend! :cool:

Last edited:
I must say that is a nice case for the Farallon :).. yeah might have to do that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, besley​. I ordered a Crossrock for my Farallon, and it's a helluva case! Stout, yet very light. It's a wee bit roomy in width, but came with two strips of extra padding which snug things up nicely.

View attachment 114448 View attachment 114449

Gotta say I'm lovin' the Blackbird. Practising for a gig with it this weekend! :cool:

Looks great. They must have changed the thickness of the padding some, because the fit on mine is quite snug, and doesn't wiggle at all. But they've changed the handle and hardware some, so why not the padding too? Enjoy!

Top Bottom