How do I use veneer softener?

Timbuck

Reaction score
I bought some glycerin so I can make up some veneer softener with water and achohol...but how do I use it to help me hot bend some sides.
Instructions I've read so far say apply full strength and clamp with absorbent towels till dry and flat...But I just want to make the wood more supple for bending the waist ...do I have to wait till it's dry or what? ...Helpful comments will be appreciated...Thanks in advance :)

Super soft really only mentions it in regard to troublesome dry/brittle 0.020" veneer, and like you said :wet it with paper towel and clamp flat.
When i use it on sides, i spray the sides before i get the heat bender out- the sides are dry before the bender is ready to go then i just bend em- perhaps waiting longer is better but 10 mins seems to work.

I always soaked the sides with a spray bottle of SuperSoft2, placed the ribs between water soaked brown paper, added aluminum foil front and back, then spring steel front and back and into the Fox bender. I never had any luck letting the ribs dry after applying the SuperSoft2.

I use SSII and I brush it on and let it soak in. The effect lasts for a while so bending does not have to be done right away and some time lets the SSII penetrate. I used fabric softener mixed with water in a 1;1 ratio and had the wood soak in it for a few hours. Then I rinsed it off, toweled dry and blew dry with a hair dryer. Worked well enough but the SSII is better. I got some glycerin but never used it. I have heard people using it but not any firsthand account for bending sides. I would also be concerned about it and finishing.

Made up the solution of one part alcohol, two parts glycerin,four parts water.... soaked a couple of sides for a while, placed them in an envelope of absorbent paper then wrapped in foil...put them in the Foxy bender at a hotter than usual setting...guess what? Yup! Cracked again :mad:.only success so far is prebending on the hot pipe...The problem area is the 1" radius waist bend...no wonder they switched over to the Dreadnought / Ditson style.

Last edited:
Made up the solution of one part alcohol, two parts glycerin,four parts water.... soaked a couple of sides for a while, placed them in an envelope of absorbent paper then wrapped in foil...put them in the Foxy bender at a hotter than usual setting...guess what? Yup! Cracked again :mad:.only success so far is prebending on the hot pipe...The problem area is the 1" radius waist bend...no wonder they switched over to the Dreadnought / Ditson style.
Ken, Try saturating just the waist area with thin CA glue prior to bending.

When I use the super soft I spray the sides or bindings down well and wrap in aluminum foil and let sit over night. And if they are really important and I don't want to take any chance I'll put them in a steam box as well for 15 minutes before rewraping in foil then to the bender. I have only had to go that whole crazy route once but it worked when nothing else did.

Top Bottom