Chief Noda

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I know that Chief hasn't been active here lately, but some of you might remember him, and/or have some of his tabs in your collection.

I thought I'd pass along the sad news that Chief is leaving the hospital today and entering hospice. He discontinued kidney dialysis on Friday.

He has been a big part of my ukulele journey, (I probably would never have picked it up without his encouragement), and some of you might have shared the enjoyment of music with him as well.

His website is currently still up:
http://www.chiefnoda.com

His ukulele page, with some tabs, is:
http://www.chiefnoda.com/ukulele/index.html

His version of Pachelbel's Canon had gained recognition in the guitar community, and he has tab for ukulele as well.

But, my favorite is Both Sides Now. That's what inspired him to pick up guitar, (Randy Scruggs' version), and he tabbed it for ukulele as well, and I'm going to have to go play it again now.

This is such sad news.

I have enjoyed many of Chief Noda's tabs, particularly his arrangement of "The Swan", which was the first low G piece I learned.

Thank you for letting us know, he and his family will be in my thoughts.

Sorry to hear this. May he have a peaceful journey to the other side.

It seems like not many here knew Chief, but I thought I'd add the sad update that Chief has passed away.
I'm sure that his spirit will live on through music.

I hope so too.. the best way for UU to help him create a legacy is to make sure his content continues to live on..
A lot of the community content that is not backed by a publishing house is at risk of going away when the credit cards backing the website expire..

We have lost South Coast String's knowledge base for selecting manufacturers and their strings to form the various uke string sets.
Mike Lynch's wife is continuing his work but his channel on vimeo is a paid one that can go away if not taken care of..

What do you'll suggest is the best way forward?

I hope so too.. the best way for UU to help him create a legacy is to make sure his content continues to live on..
A lot of the community content that is not backed by a publishing house is at risk of going away when the credit cards backing the website expire..

We have lost South Coast String's knowledge base for selecting manufacturers and their strings to form the various uke string sets.
Mike Lynch's wife is continuing his work but his channel on vimeo is a paid one that can go away if not taken care of..

What do you'll suggest is the best way forward?

Good question. Chief's sister lives in Japan, (plays harp - very talented), and I don't know that she would keep the website going.

I do have copies of all of Chief's ukulele tabs, (and a couple of the guitar tabs that I was thinking of converting to ukulele), and all MP3s he had on the website, (those were mostly guitar, which had been his primary instrument.)

I don't think he had much on his YouTube channel, but will try to look when I get home from work.

So, for now, if/when the website goes away, feel free to ask me for any tabs that Chief had posted. I think I have some that he didn't post there as well.

Maybe some day I'll get motivated to do a website myself, and can include a tribute page. But, for now, his website is still up, and I also have copies of tab.

We have lost several people who have contributed a lot to UU and elsewhere, as you mentioned, and I hope that their legacy lives on in some way.

I was very sad to hear of Chief Noda's passing in a Facebook post today 27.12.18

https://www.facebook.com/chifuru.noda/posts/10212722244083120

(For those who do not use FB ....)

On behalf of Chief Noda:
It is with great sadness to inform you, Chief Noda has passed away this evening at 7pm. He did not have any pain or discomfort, actually he expressed he had the best 2 weeks and it was time for him to rest. With dignity and grace, he closed his eyes.
Let us all be mindful and send much love to his sister Chiaki.

RIP Chief Noda - thank you for the music

Maybe add 'passed away' to your title, Joyful Uke - I think quite a few people who are into TAB would have been aware of his wonderful works

I love Chief Noda's version of Cello Suite. Is there any measures being taken to preserve the website or arrangements?

I love Chief Noda's version of Cello Suite. Is there any measures being taken to preserve the website or arrangements?
Not that I'm aware of. I've downloaded everything, so if the site disappears, I'll still have his arrangements.
I haven't played Both Sides Now for a while. I'll have to play that today. He said that was the song that inspired him to start playing guitar. (Randy Scruggs version.) Chief's arrangement for ukulele is great.

Top Bottom