Help: Buying a nice Ukulele for a friend that plays a alot.

Sounds like there is time to do this without rushing.

You do have a list of potential ukes and when you get size and preferences down, opinions will abound as to which is better.

I recommend researching a few places that you might purchase it from. Price is not the main concern (most are similar or exactly the same price for the same uke). You want to find out about the return policy if the one you get is not the one she prefers. For example, a well used site has a seven day return policy. Cost to you is the return shipping. This way you decrease the risk greatly... others say think of it as about a $30 insurance policy. You can receive full credit or apply it toward another uke.

Timing here is key and you might want to contact the site directly regarding your needs so that arrival, gifting, and the return window match up.

thank you for suggestion. do you have favorite ? or top 3 ukes?

My favorites are Martin, Ohana and Fluke. I’ve also owned a KoAloha and it was great.

Tenors: The Flukes are an unusual design and might not be a good gift unless you know she wants one. It may be hard to find a Martin in your price range. So of the group, Ohana and KoAloha would be my choices. Good luck!

GOOOOOOD MORNING, good people of Uke Undergound. HAPPY MONDAY!:cool:

Once again, I am very grateful from all the help that you all have given me.

I wasnt able to get online though the weekend but I am back( using my crappy windows 98 work computer) to reply to your replies.

If she already has an inexpensive uke, and she enjoys playing, then I think you will be safe getting her a better quality ukulele as a gift. And she will really appreciate your thoughtfulness. If it isn't the perfect uke for her, she will still be amazed that you bought it for her. A gift certificate just doesn't cut it.

You absolutely need to have the uke properly setup. Mim's, Uke Republic, The Ukulele Site are all safe bets. All include a setup in the price. However, if you are trying to get it to her for Christmas, you may not make it. Call and ask. TheUkuleleSite.com takes at least 2 weeks to do a "full" setup. Mim's is usually quicker, but this is the peak season so contact her and ask. Uke Republic was usually a week. Plus there is shipping time for all of these mail order stores.

A consideration is how diminutive or tall your friend is.
The Pono has a fairly deep neck. Some people with smaller hands find them more difficult to play. The deluxe is a Gloss finish, the base model is satin. That's the only difference. I can't hear a difference in the sound between the two models. Both are very good.
The Martins in your price range are made in Mexico. I've read pretty good reviews about them. But also couple of poor reviews about the quality. If you buy from any of these dealers they usually will reject a poor quality instrument when they do the setup. They seem to have an average sized neck. My 1T's neck is pretty average and comfortable. Average width.
The Opio/KoAloha Tenor necks are pretty easy to play. Not as deep as the Pono. About the same width. Very nice sound. You can easily strum or pick on them. Great all around ukes. In any size.

The problem with buying a uke from Amazon is that they don't open the box. They ship what they get. No setup, no inspection. So a real crapshoot. Unless she has an instrument store near her that can do a setup, I'd avoid Amazon.

Make sure the instrument's description says: "Solid Wood" Top, back and sides. Or solid "body". Laminates can be great. Especially with a solid top. But some sound kind of dead. The makes and models people have suggested are all nice sounding.

Acacia wood is closely related to koa. Koa is regarded as one of the better woods to use in making ukes and has a very warm and very balanced sound. Spruce tops are generally louder than the same instrument with only one wood construction. Mahogany is also a good all-around wood. The woods of the "body" aren't as important as the wood in the top (soundboard).

Traditional construction uses mahogany for the neck with rosewood or ebony for the fingerboard. You can't go wrong with either one. (Others are fine, but have a different aesthetic.)

I'd suggest that you go for a traditional design and construction. Koa, Acacia, Mahogany. They are popular for a reason. I bought an Ohana tenor with a solid rosewood body & cedar top for under $400. It played nice and sounded very good. Kala has similar tenors in that price range. IMHO they don't sound quite as good as my solid Pono Acacia or Mango tenors. (All have mahogany necks, rosewood fretboards and geared tuners.)

Go for it. She'll be bowled over by your gesture.

Really, really good info. thanks for educating with me about the construction and material use( this really helps a lot) . Also, thank you for explaining the downside of ordering from amazon.

what does set up means? how do they set up the uke?

Thanks again!

I mentioned above that I have a Martin T1-K tenor that I love that is in that price range. They also make the concert sized C1-K as well. Both are solid koa and priced really well for one of those. They are built in Martin's factory in Mexico and are really nice. One thing the American models have over the Mexican ones is premium stripe on the koa wood but the sound is great. All koa ukes are not very numerous in that price range.

thank you for the reply. what is a premium stripe of a Koa wood? is this like picking up the best wood by hand kind of process?

Hi Chips:

Lots of great advice. I agree that Koaloha is the best of the bunch, and that the UkuleleSite or Mims are the better sites to buy. At your price range, it deserves a nice hard shell case. The UkuleleSite has nice ABS cases made by Oahu for about $60.By the way, I am in Oahu right now and plan on visiting the UkuleleSite shop later today. Let me know if you want me to check anything out.

One important thing that has not been mentioned is the neck width. Ask your friend what neck width she prefers. If she has large hands, get a ukulele with at least a 1 1/2" neck.

thanks brotha. How was the visit? could you share your experience?

she definitely have small hands. shes about 5'2

Depends on where you live. Most stringed instruments are happy around 45 to 55% humidity, if it's much lower (below 30%) then the solid wood can shrink so much that it cracks, if it's much higher (more than 65%) then the wood can swell so much that the action gets too low and it sounds tubby. Most problems occur in the winter when the outside temperatures drop below about -10C, then the heated inside air tends to go below 30% and you need a humidifier. They are cheap and can be picked up in any music store or make your own with a sponge.

she will be going back home in the Midwest. any other suggestions for accessories?

I like to use different ukes for different songs and different moods. My basic one is a tenor, but I also wanted a concert so I picked an old KoAloha which is very sweet and the size is perfect for lounging on the couch and relaxing. But it also shines in a performance for strumming. Either of the two HMS deeply discounted Acacia Rosettes is probably a very sweet deal, but if they are out your budget then the acacia or spruce top opios are also great choices. They play and sound very similar, so it's mainly a matter of what look is preferred. In specs on paper and in price the difference between the various KoAloha levels seems big, but in practice not very noticeable.

good Input! I think I do want something for her to play when she performs

Gosh, great idea for a gift. I agree if she only has a cheap instrument now she probably will really appreciate any uke in that price range.

Unless she has particularly mentioned upsizing to tenor then concert size is a safe bet. If she currently has a soprano she will be happy with a concert and if she currently has a cheap tenor then she would still appreciate a concert if it is an upgrade in quality. Dont buy a baritone.

In your OP for the price you mentioned I would look at pono, opio, Ohana or all solid wood Kala (not laminate). Personally, I think Koaloha or Kanile’a would be too much unless you are planning on asking her to move in with you when you give this to her. I am not female but It would make me uncomfortable receiving those as a gift from someone I was not in a long term relationship with. Even pono and opio are very generous.

To echo everyone else, Amazon is too risky in that price range. I would buy amazon if I was looking for a $100-200 bargain.

Good luck and I hope she doesn’t browse these forums :)

thank you for the input. She wont see this forum. I don't think shes the internet kind of person, lol.

and im ok with giving her something nice. she gives me nice things too so its not a big deal. I do like that suggestion though. don't invest in uncertain things. appreciate that advice!

Just checking my understanding here. With Christmas coming up fast and a present being given I associated the two but perhaps that is not correct? If you plan to give this to your friend in March then there is plenty of time to get all the information you need and to select something at your leisure.

You asked (me) about a humidifier but the answer has been supplied by others already, good. Here in the U.K. it’s always humid but in the US that is not so. Ukes are basically fragile things made out of thin wood, when wood shrinks due to moisture loss the shrinkage can cause damage and the way around that is to stop the moisture loss with a humidifier. Ukes made of laminate don’t suffer in the way that Ukes made of solid wood do, but they typically don’t sound as good either - good enough for me though and I like maintenance free.

oh! makes perfect sense. thank you for the input.

I am trying to get this to her by march but I am also trying to ride the Christmas discounts. do you think these sites will have discounts after the holidays?

You have until march, so you can take your time.

I think at your price point, the Opio line by KoAloha or the Martin Mexican-made line will give you the biggest "Wow!" factor. With Pono by Ko'olau only slightly behind. Their brand names are known for high quality for a medium budget price, by ukulele players worldwide. You won't go wrong with any of these lines. Concert or Tenor sizes from them are well-regarded.

She will know you did your research if you go with any of them.

I wouldn't worry about a case or humidifiers. She'll be happy to accessorize it herself. For instance: a UkeCrazy canvas & hard foam is a good case for about $49-tenor size. Oasis humidifiers are about $20. Strap pins (buttons) are $10-ish. If you are good with a drill and screwdriver, you can install the pins for her. (Uke straps are a very personal choice.) A set of strings about $15. She'll have fun getting these things herself. There are other accessories that you can get her for gifts in the future.

Yes, often Mim answers the phone herself.

You may want to wait until after Xmas for sales. And so the seller can take more time with your order or answer any questions.

Best of luck!

I really like that idea that she can accessorize it her self. I think one of the fun thing about owning an instrument is to be able to buy accessories to compliment instrument.

I definitely need the wow factor since this gift is mainly to show her how much ive appreciate all the things that she has done for me.

It really depends on where you live. I bought a humidifier at one point, but I never use it because the humidity never drops low enough here. If you lived in Arizona, it would be absolutely essential. As someone else said, she can always get a humidifier later. They are cheap.

true.

Get the same size she plays now. I would not consider a change in size as an upgrade. Crop a photo of her current ukulele if you want help identifying the size.

Would she ever believe you if you told her you were thinking about learning to play the ukulele? If the answer is yes, then ask her for advice. She would probably be more than willing to give you all the information you need under the guise of helping to pick out a uke for you. Stuff like I bought a concert, tenor, etc. but I wish I got a ??? Or, one of these days I’ll going to buy a better uke like a ??? Make it more about something for you and then take that info buy something for her.

I agree with so many other posts that suggest getting more information about what she wants and not just base it on what she plays now. I watch the Christmas car commercials where someone spends $40k on a new car as a surprise. While they are just ads, I wonder if in a real situation, after the initial wow and excitement, if there wouldn’t be a bit of... before you spent all that money, I really wanted a... Hard to respond with yeah but you have a mini van now.

John
+

hey John. Thanks for your input. She is very sharp and she will know that I would never pick up a uke and she will know its for her. we tend to understand each other in that level, hahaha.

its really hard to get info since shes not in the country and I have very limited contact with her. and I don't want to ask the band members since they might spill the beans.

Sounds like there is time to do this without rushing.

You do have a list of potential ukes and when you get size and preferences down, opinions will abound as to which is better.

I recommend researching a few places that you might purchase it from. Price is not the main concern (most are similar or exactly the same price for the same uke). You want to find out about the return policy if the one you get is not the one she prefers. For example, a well used site has a seven day return policy. Cost to you is the return shipping. This way you decrease the risk greatly... others say think of it as about a $30 insurance policy. You can receive full credit or apply it toward another uke.

Timing here is key and you might want to contact the site directly regarding your needs so that arrival, gifting, and the return window match up.

very good point. that's why I was thinking amazon since they have a pretty good return policy. that is def something to look into with these other companies.

My favorites are Martin, Ohana and Fluke. I’ve also owned a KoAloha and it was great.

Tenors: The Flukes are an unusual design and might not be a good gift unless you know she wants one. It may be hard to find a Martin in your price range. So of the group, Ohana and KoAloha would be my choices. Good luck!

could you explain a little bit more about tenors and flukes?

Re: The Flukes. Perhaps the best thing to do is check out the website: https://www.magicfluke.com/Fluke-s/1477.htm

I own a soprano-scale Flea (a uke from the same maker with a smaller body). It's a wonderful instrument, but it's different, as you can see. Some people don't like the molded plastic back and others prefer a more traditional shape. You'll be hard-pressed to find something that is more durable or easier to play, however. It's just a little weird. I also prefer the wood fretboard after owning a couple with the plastic fretboard and finding it less comfortable. Wood costs more, but the price difference is worth it.

Not sure if this was covered but may want to keep in mind that solid wood ukes require a bit of maintenance & can be sensitive to temp/humidity changes.

There are also lower maintenance ukes out there that IMO make awesome presents because 1) Low maintenance 2) can take ANYWHERE.
I personally love my
Magic Fluke Concert Flea Surf (WITH their velcro strap), Outdoor Ukulele Moonlight Tenor & Kala Waterman Concert
as much as I love my Pono Pro Classic Cedar/Rosewood Cutaway & Kamaka Tenor.

The Magic Fluke Concert Flea Surf, Outdoor Ukulele Moonlight Tenor & Kala Waterman Concert get played the most by far.
My Flea gets MUCH more play time than all the other ~10. If I had to play in public, this may be my go-to.
Magic Fluke has some really fun graphics on their tops. Their solid top Koa & solid top Spruce, unlike the others, have solid fretboards w/ metal frets. Frankly, the standard fretboard/fret are more than good enough for me.

I would never buy a uke from Amazon for a whole host of reasons... Some include set-up, quality, intonation - not worth sending back, repurchasing, etc.
It's unlikely I'll ever get another "serious" soprano uke, not even a Kamaka/KoAloha/Kanilea/Ko'Olau... would consider Magic Fluke or Outdoor Ukulele (because intonation).

Edit to add: Another source of Magic Flukes I'd consider is Tiki King.
"The Tiki Fluke tops are Individually hand painted, signed and numbered, and as such and may vary slightly in color from photo shown here" http://www.tikiking.com/shopping_cart2/pagesix.html

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.49.28 PM.jpg

Last edited:
If a good return policy is important - which it might well be in this special case -, then you should definitely consider Hawaii Music Supply (HMS) AKA The Ukulele Site. They let you return any instrument within a certain period of time. I think in your case, they would even be more generous with taking an instrument back if it turns out your friend really doesn't bond with it. In this case, you could refer them to this thread to show them how things came about.

Probably should never jump into a thread without reading it all, but if she is 5'2" with small hands, and is currently comfortable with a concert, I highly recommend sticking with the concert size, speaking as another petite person.

Another factor to consider is the neck itself. Even on concerts, they can vary considerably, and she might find some hard to play and others very comfortable. I personally find the 35 mm nut width comfortable, and have had to sell some with wider nut widths because they didn't work for my hands. Then there are thin necks vs. thicker necks, necks with a radius, and more to consider. Lots of factors that can possibly make a beautiful ukulele hard to play for some of us.

Probably should never jump into a thread without reading it all, but if she is 5'2" with small hands, and is currently comfortable with a concert, I highly recommend sticking with the concert size, speaking as another petite person.

Another factor to consider is the neck itself. Even on concerts, they can vary considerably, and she might find some hard to play and others very comfortable. I personally find the 35 mm nut width comfortable, and have had to sell some with wider nut widths because they didn't work for my hands. Then there are thin necks vs. thicker necks, necks with a radius, and more to consider. Lots of factors that can possibly make a beautiful ukulele hard to play for some of us.

If you read post #25, it looks she plays "concert"-gigs on an tenor-ukulele.

I agree with everyone who suggest to stick with something similar to what she has, in a higher quality. Also in terms of aestetics.

Some people suggest the Fluke. While it sounds great, the neck is not for small hands and the looks are not necessarily for everyone. I would advice against it as a surprise for someone who didn't pick it themselves.

Last edited:
If you read post #25, it looks she plays "concert"-gigs on an tenor-ukulele.

I agree with everyone who suggest to stick with something similar to what she has, in a higher quality. Also in terms of aestetics.

Some people suggest the Fluke. While it sounds great, the neck is not for small hands and the looks are not necessarily for everyone. I would advice against it as a surprise for someone who didn't pick it themselves.

Well picked up! Like UkingViking said, if she plays a tenor, get her a tenor!

alright Ladies and Gents. Here are the two that im considering getting for her.

what are the pros and cons, and your thoughts?

for someone who has small hands, which one would be better?

im curious about the price drop of the Ohana? what gives?

im also leaning towards ohana because of the special edition but im not sure of how the sound quality.

Ohana
TK-350G Limited Edition Solid Koa Gloss Tenor Ukulele

VS

Koaloha Tenor Acacia Opio Ukulele Package (KTO-10)

also, everyone seems to have the same return policy. idont want to miss out on the sales. so i want to get it soon. im just not sure what would happen is return or exhange needs to happen...

mims doesnt have her return policy on the website.

Last edited:
Rather than specifically answer the above I comment in more general ways.

I don’t understand what is ment by the price drop on the Ohana but typically retailers offer them for much less than the price on Ohana’s website.

If I were to buy a Uke in this price range then I’d steer away from the Ohana brand as I think that their products are typically selected for and targeted at a lower price band. As far as I can tell they don’t build anything themselves and either have their name added to decent Ukes already in production made in China or have batches made to their specifications. The Koaloha will, I believe, have a better cashet (mark of prestige) than the Ohana.

It is far better to mis-out on the current sales and possibly pay a bit more later than to buy in haste.

I would strongly suggest that you ring Mim (and the other good suppliers mentioned elsewhere) rather than just look on websites. After Christmas they will have all the time in the world to speak to you and answer all your questions, they will likely also have a slow sales patch and be happy to work out a deal with you.

Last edited:
I havent heard sound samples of those.
The opio sound samples I have heard online previously have sounded amazing, which annoys me since I dont like the look.
You write that she plays in a group with buegrass like instruments. I would think that the more traditional old timey look of the Ohana would fit better in.

But looks are not all.

I don’t understand what is ment by the price drop on the Ohana but typically retailers offer them for much less than the price on Ohana’s website.

If I were to buy a Uke in this price range then I’d steer away from the Ohana brand as I think that their products are typically selected for and targeted at a lower price band. As far as I can tell they don’t build anything themselves and either have their name added to decent Ukes already in production made in China or have batches made to their specifications. The Koaloha will, I believe, have a better cashet (mark of prestige) than the Ohana.

It is far better to mis-out on the current sales and possibly pay a bit more later than to buy in haste.

I would strongly suggest that you ring Mim (and the other good suppliers mentioned elsewhere) rather than just look on websites. After Christmas they will have all the time in the world to speak to you and answer all your questions, they will likely also have a slow sales patch and be happy to work out a deal with you.

The man talks sense. One thing you can judge from photos is the looks, and if you like the styling of the Opio, I say go for it. I can attest to the fact that they have excellent sound and playability.

for someone who has small hands, which one would be better?

All ukuleles have relatively (to guitars) tiny necks and are suitable for children even younger than 10 years old. It's mainly for people with huge and chubby hands where it can feel very crowded on an uke neck. I have very small hands for a guy and my two main guitars are a jumbo with a very long neck, and a 12 string with an extremely fat neck and I am comfortable with both. But with my KoAloha concert I actually had to change my gripping style and figure out how to press multiple strings with one finger because the neck is so small.

All ukuleles have relatively (to guitars) tiny necks and are suitable for children even younger than 10 years old. It's mainly for people with huge and chubby hands where it can feel very crowded on an uke neck. I have very small hands for a guy and my two main guitars are a jumbo with a very long neck, and a 12 string with an extremely fat neck and I am comfortable with both. But with my KoAloha concert I actually had to change my gripping style and figure out how to press multiple strings with one finger because the neck is so small.

^ This. A lot of people with small hands can play a guitar. Ukulele size really shouldn’t be an issue unless a person is playing instrumentals that require long fret stretches. But for playing and singing, it doesn’t matter. The tenor should technically be louder, but that is a little off topic.

If those are your choices, get the KoAloha. The company family has a true vested interest in what they offer. They also have great reviews and probably better resale if she ever parts with it.

John

thanks for the advice. its good to know about how Ohana manufactures their ukes. have you heard or had any experience working out a deal with mims?

I havent heard sound samples of those.
The opio sound samples I have heard online previously have sounded amazing, which annoys me since I dont like the look.
You write that she plays in a group with buegrass like instruments. I would think that the more traditional old timey look of the Ohana would fit better in.

But looks are not all.

I agree. but the look is so tempting!

The man talks sense. One thing you can judge from photos is the looks, and if you like the styling of the Opio, I say go for it. I can attest to the fact that they have excellent sound and playability.

interesting read.

make sense.

^ This. A lot of people with small hands can play a guitar. Ukulele size really shouldn’t be an issue unless a person is playing instrumentals that require long fret stretches. But for playing and singing, it doesn’t matter. The tenor should technically be louder, but that is a little off topic.

If those are your choices, get the KoAloha. The company family has a true vested interest in what they offer. They also have great reviews and probably better resale if she ever parts with it.

John

thanks john! are all of their ukes hand crafted?

Last edited:
Top Bottom