Help: Buying a nice Ukulele for a friend that plays a alot.

What uke brand is she playing now and size? When I was younger and playing professionally, a woman bought me a 3,000 dollar guitar (Gibson Les Paul) without my input or knowledge she was going to do it. I never did bond with it and only played it once. Instead, I played the guitars I chose.

I trust she is fully aware of your intentions. If not, you could ruin the relationship as it kind of forces her to play something she'd never consider if it were up to her.

Last edited:
I'm really late to this thread, but I would offer that I have been on the receiving end of guitar gifts on two different occasions. Neither was to my liking, although they were both very nice instruments. And although I very much appreciated the generosity of the giver (same person in both situations), I can honestly say that I would have been more thrilled with a gift certificate to the store where the guitars came from, knowing that I'd be able to look forward to enjoying the fun of taking my time, browsing the selection, and finally deciding on what I'd go with-- like a kid in a candy store, as they say. But every situation is different, and these are just my thoughts, for what they may be worth...

Hello everyone!

Update: I contacted MiMs and we worked out a plan. I will let you know as soon as I execute the plan. :)

Hello everyone. I don't know anything about Ukuleles but I have been researching them online and been watching lots of youtube videos to educate myself. I need this forum's help purchasing a nice ukulele for a close friend of mine (as a surprise) who plays a lot of bluegrass, folk, country type of music.

price range of $500-600

I have some questions.

•how much does brand play into the quality/ sound quality of these instruments at that price range? Does a specific brand makes better models at my price range than others?

•what do I need to watch out when buying expensive uk?

•is Amazon really a NO-NO store to buy?

•what bells and whistles companies try to sell you to add cost to the uk but irrelevant to the sound quality and feel of the uk? *How does Martin Uk compare to some of the Hawaii an brand names?

•what up with Ohana All Solid Models? are these all solid wood or some are spruce tops?

Here are some ukuleles on my list. Concert or Tenor( prefer)

•Cordoba 35T-CE Tenor Acoustic-Electric Ukulele

*Lanikai Manana-T Hawaiian Solid Body Acoustic-Electric Tenor Ukulele *T1K Koa Tenor Ukulele

*Ohana TK-35GCE

*Ohana Ukuleles BK-35G (baritone)

*Pono ATD - Gloss Acacia Tenor

*Cordoba 30T-CE Solid Mahogany

*Koaloha Opio Concert Long Neck Ukulele Package (KCO-02)

•any KoAloha ( how do they compare with other brands?)

I would appreciate suggestions, please.

lastly, any good place to purchase these instruments. preferable a place that offers good pricing :)

thank you all for looking into this! your replies are greatly appreciated :)

Aloha HelloChips!

I know this is an old post and hope you have found an ukulele you are happy with. The best advice is to audition one in-person. Everybody is different...suitable feel between your hand and uke neck, tone, looks, the whole-shebang...it is difficult deciding on the advice of others. It seems you are already aware of the top brands to consider...I would stick with the big name brands: Martin; Kamaka; Koaloha; Gretsch; Harmony; Favilla. From those candidates narrow down your options based on cost and personal taste. I remember years ago (many years ago) Musiciansfriend promoted a Johnson brand soprano as a facsimile to a CF Martin Style 0, and I almost purchased a couple Johnson Ukes based on the hype. Glad I did not bite, though, because years later (this year in fact) I came across a nice condition Johnson: it is no Martin copy. Trust me. So, do your best hunting, budget (or save more) what you can afford, and try in-person the instrument of your dreams before springing hard-earned newbie dollars or pounds.

Cheers,

Uku-guy

Last edited:
Top Bottom