Help: Buying a nice Ukulele for a friend that plays a alot.

Posted a pic of the Uke that she currently has on another thread. :)

thanks john! are all of their ukes hand crafted?

I believe that the Hawaiian KoAloha ukuleles are hand made, at least they were a decade ago when I had one. From what I have read the Opio line is made in Thailand using the same manufacturing processes as their Hawaiian ukuleles.

John

I believe that the Hawaiian KoAloha ukuleles are hand made, at least they were a decade ago when I had one. From what I have read the Opio line is made in Thailand using the same manufacturing processes as their Hawaiian ukuleles.

John

The necks are machined by CNC in California, Koa and Mango bodies hand assembled in Honolulu, acacia bodies hand assembled in Thailand. Final hand construction of Koa, Mango, and Acacia Series in Honolulu, and of Opio Series in Thailand.

so with the Ohana ukes made from china. is this still a better process?

John

The necks are machined by CNC in California, Koa and Mango bodies hand assembled in Honolulu, acacia bodies hand assembled in Thailand. Final hand construction of Koa, Mango, and Acacia Series in Honolulu, and of Opio Series in Thailand.

thanks for the reply. it helps knowing the process.

well s**.... it looks like Shes got a pretty nice Uke already. how do I top this uke now?

Kala KA-SPMT-TRI All Solid Spruce/ Pau Ferro/ Mango Tenor

im still willing to stick with my price but which uke will be the destroyer of her current uke?

well s**.... it looks like Shes got a pretty nice Uke already. how do I top this uke now?

im still willing to stick with my price but which uke will be the destroyer of her current uke?

Well, on the other thread I talked about getting something different to what she already has. I've attached a picture of my ukes. They range in price from US$100 to US$450. The most expensive one is the second from the left. They all offer something different. I'll talk about each one below

Far left: Luna Tattoo Pineapple - This is a laminate soprano, so it is durable and portable. I don't like playing it at all, but my wife does. It is our first uke, so it holds some sentimental value.
Second from left: Mele Mango Concert - It took me a while to work out that I like playing concert sized ukes best. This was purchased on our trip to Maui a few years ago and we splurged a bit.
Middle: S&J Crafts Milo Concert Pineapple - I got this one because I wanted a concert uke strung with a low G. The different tone wood and shape, etc., also give this quite a different sound to the other concert uke.
Second from right: KPK Acacia Tenor - This one was the first uke we got when I decided I didn't like the Luna. I keep it strung with a low G and it has a few more frets than the Milo uke and a bit more space between strings, so it works in some instances where the other doesn't. It is a bit of a stretch to finger some chords, though, so I often prefer the concert.
Far right: Bruce Wei Koa Guitarlele - This one has 2 extra strings and arguably isn't a ukulele at all. It allows me to play a few things that wouldn't be possible on a normal uke, but chords are a lot more difficult.

View attachment 114201

As you can see, there is a good reason to own all of those ukes (except maybe the Luna but don't tell my wife that). See if you can get her something that she doesn't have that she will use. Does she play with a high G (re-entrant tuning) or a low G (linear tuning)? Would she like to try the other one? A baritone would have different tuning altogether. Would she like that? A soprano would give a distinct sound, but might not have enough room on the fretboard for her. Another way to go would be to get a different sounding tonewood. She currently has a spruce top, which sounds very bright, so how about something made from mahogany, which sounds warm and mellow? Of course, this all depends on her preferences, but personally, I like to have a variety.

Well just because an uke looks nice does not necessarily mean it will also be a good uke. You could still step it up by getting a US made that has more focus and is not all over the place like the Kala. Also it is a step up to have a different sized uke so a concert sized one may be a nice complement. I certainly have no interest in having similar instruments around. The koaloha acacia rosette would be a big step up in that direction.

The KoAloha Opio acacia ukulele would definitely be a different animal for her. But it may have a bit more Hawaiian sound than spruce for folk music.

John

Ok. I've changed my thinking. Not that anyone cares. She has a pretty nice instrument. In your price range, I don't think you're going to find anything that "destroys" her other ukulele. My vote is for you to buy a nice ukulele strap and have a gift card to the Ukulele Site. Have the gift card in the amount that you would want to give. Tell her that you wanted to get her an amazing ukulele, but that you don't know enough about it and that everyone seems to say that the Ukulele Site is a great place so you got a gift card there. She can then find the ukulele that really calls out to her, and if it costs a bit more, she can pay the difference. You'll still get credit and you can have fun picking it out with her.

I think Mims and Uke Republic are also good choices, but I think Ukulele Site will have a bigger selection for the type and price ranges that you will be in.

At that level of ukulele, I tend to agree with the opinions that she will probably want to pick her own out. Who knows, maybe she finds one that "destroys" her first one, though I'm not sure that should be the objective.

Another idea is for you to buy one of those DIY uke kits or one of those super cheap ones on Wish.com or amazon (like $12.00). Have the gift card taped to the back of the cheap one. That way, you get to give a fun souvenir, and you get credit for an amazing instrument.

good luck.

A different approach would be to give her something totally different, rather than looking for a better version of her tenor. Two thoughts:

1 A vintage uke, a piece of history. An old Martin Style 0 never offends! Or even a Kumalae, a piece of 20s/30s Hawaii. For this you'd need help from someone with experience, or buy from a known dealer like Elderly.

2 A banjo uke. So dramatically different from what she has that it could give her new options for her performing.

What I'd do is invent a hypothetical niece who has just bought a tenor and wants a second uke to add variety. Then ask what would your friend treat herself to? You can throw in some of the options here ... "Do you think she'd like a ...?"

If she knows you don't have a niece, it's a friend's niece.

I could be your friend. I think you could listen and see if in conversation if any particular models are discussed as desires. Maybe you could ask about a particular model like I saw an Oscar Schmidt xxx what do you think of it. Most people love talking about what they love. Might not be too hard getting some clues.

Response to this thread & the other one you started to identify your friend's current ukulele.....

If the uke that your friend now owns is indeed the one in the link that mingus provided, then it appears to be a pretty decent ukulele. Solid spruce top with laminate back & sides. You mentioned in your OP that you wanted to get her a much better ukulele from the one she has......one that would be a big step up. However, the price range you mentioned was $500 - $600. If the one she has cost $400, and if it sounds as nice as that video on the HMS website, then you may have to up your price range a little if you really want to knock her socks off.

You definitely want to go with an all solid wood uke. Since she has a spruce top already, then maybe solid Koa this time. Or maybe solid mahogany. Something that would give her a different sound from the spruce. On HMS, there are several choices from Romero, Kanilea, KoAloha and Pono that are in the $700-$1000 range. One choice in your price range that jumps out at me is this Pono. Solid cedar top, solid mahogany back & sides, and includes a hard case. That would be a mellower sound and a nice uke at a nice price. However, Pono is said to have a thicker neck profile & it has a radiused fret board that she may or may not like.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/tenor/pono-mtd-2-cedar-top-mahogany-tenor-deluxe.html

I think in the end, the first advice many of us gave you is best.....just give her some money to buy what she wants. Who knows, she may already have her eye on something that's just out of her reach financially, and your generous gift of $$$ might make her dream uke a reality.

Last edited:
Or maybe solid mahogany. Something that would give her a different sound from the spruce. On HMS, there are several choices from Romero, Kanilea, KoAloha and Pono that are in the $700-$1000 range. One choice in your price range that jumps out at me is this Pono.

Indeed Pono is a fascinating brand and although I don't have much experience with them I have contemplated buying one. The Mango and Mahogany Deluxe models on the HMS site sure look very appealing in both tenor and concert sizes, even the pineapple shaped one. If I received one of these as a gift it would make me VERY happy and each time I play it I remember the person who made effort to give it.

Response to this thread & the other one you started to identify your friend's current ukulele.....

If the uke that your friend now owns is indeed the one in the link that mingus provided, then it appears to be a pretty decent ukulele. Solid spruce top with laminate back & sides. You mentioned in your OP that you wanted to get her a much better ukulele from the one she has......one that would be a big step up. However, the price range you mentioned was $500 - $600. If the one she has cost $400, and if it sounds as nice as that video on the HMS website, then you may have to up your price range a little if you really want to knock her socks off.

You definitely want to go with an all solid wood uke. Since she has a spruce top already, then maybe solid Koa this time. Or maybe solid mahogany. Something that would give her a different sound from the spruce. On HMS, there are several choices from Romero, Kanilea, KoAloha and Pono that are in the $700-$1000 range. One choice in your price range that jumps out at me is this Pono. Solid cedar top, solid mahogany back & sides, and includes a hard case. That would be a mellower sound and a nice uke at a nice price. However, Pono's a said to have a thicker neck profile & it has a radiuses fret board that she may or may not like.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/tenor/pono-mtd-2-cedar-top-mahogany-tenor-deluxe.html

I think in the end, the first advice many of us gave you is best.....just give her some money to buy what she wants. Who knows, she may already have her eye on something that's just out of her reach financially, and your generous gift of $$$ might make her dream uke a reality.

I have this one! It is very nice. The radius fingerboard is subtle. It has more of a classical guitar type sound than my all koa ukes. The lower bout is a little bigger which I think helps with the sound. Fluorocarbons sound great and it is currently strung with Pepe Romero strings which also are very nice. Cedar has a little different sound than Koa. I’ve been on the fence as to whether to sell it because I keep acquiring new ukes. Sigh. I’m almost up to double digits now in terms of instruments. I probably need professional help. All in all great uke

:agree:

If that’s not what you want to do then I’d go for the different and complementary to what she already has, perhaps something that might act as a backup in case her Uke got damaged too. You might be well served by listening to others who play similarly to her and your options on what might be useful are manyfold.

Personally I like Sopranos and Concerts, but mostly Sopranos. Sopranos are so handy and some are quite loud too - easy to take anywhere, they don’t cost the earth and they can be tough too. A vintage Soprano doesn’t need to cost a vast amount, could give her new options and might give her a lot of fun ........ just a different angle and you might have some change left to help her buy another Tenor too, if that’s her hope.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone! thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

here is what I have in mind.

*Im changing the price range to 750 bucks. I feel like I need to up the game.

*if I stick with original price range. I will have to GO for a martin. they seem to have a good line of ukes. I remember I was joking with her awhile back about buying a martin guitar and she was shocked that I would spend that much money on a guitar. even though she thinks that they are awesome instruments. (she just cant afford them.)

* I really, really like what raftergirl idea ofgetting a different kind of wood? I feel like that would give her a different tone even at the same price range. I guess, the downside would be that manufacturing? tell me if im wrong. I keep seeing solid Koa on ukes from 400-1000+k. The main difference seems to be the manufacturing?

* im really considering the Ohana TK-350G Limited Edition Solid Koa Gloss Tenor Ukulele at this point.
just for the beauty and the type of material used. im just not sure how the sound quality is on that uke. im not sure how much of an upgrade this is for her current set up.

Well just because an uke looks nice does not necessarily mean it will also be a good uke. You could still step it up by getting a US made that has more focus and is not all over the place like the Kala. Also it is a step up to have a different sized uke so a concert sized one may be a nice complement. I certainly have no interest in having similar instruments around. The koaloha acacia rosette would be a big step up in that direction.

Def, out of the price range.

The KoAloha Opio acacia ukulele would definitely be a different animal for her. But it may have a bit more Hawaiian sound than spruce for folk music.

John

I wonder if she would like having a Hawaiian sounding uke?

Ok. I've changed my thinking. Not that anyone cares. She has a pretty nice instrument. In your price range, I don't think you're going to find anything that "destroys" her other ukulele. My vote is for you to buy a nice ukulele strap and have a gift card to the Ukulele Site. Have the gift card in the amount that you would want to give. Tell her that you wanted to get her an amazing ukulele, but that you don't know enough about it and that everyone seems to say that the Ukulele Site is a great place so you got a gift card there. She can then find the ukulele that really calls out to her, and if it costs a bit more, she can pay the difference. You'll still get credit and you can have fun picking it out with her.

I think Mims and Uke Republic are also good choices, but I think Ukulele Site will have a bigger selection for the type and price ranges that you will be in.

At that level of ukulele, I tend to agree with the opinions that she will probably want to pick her own out. Who knows, maybe she finds one that "destroys" her first one, though I'm not sure that should be the objective.

Another idea is for you to buy one of those DIY uke kits or one of those super cheap ones on Wish.com or amazon (like $12.00). Have the gift card taped to the back of the cheap one. That way, you get to give a fun souvenir, and you get credit for an amazing instrument.

good luck.

I really like this idea too. this might have given me and idea... I will share this idea if I end up using it :)

A different approach would be to give her something totally different, rather than looking for a better version of her tenor. Two thoughts:

1 A vintage uke, a piece of history. An old Martin Style 0 never offends! Or even a Kumalae, a piece of 20s/30s Hawaii. For this you'd need help from someone with experience, or buy from a known dealer like Elderly.

2 A banjo uke. So dramatically different from what she has that it could give her new options for her performing.

What I'd do is invent a hypothetical niece who has just bought a tenor and wants a second uke to add variety. Then ask what would your friend treat herself to? You can throw in some of the options here ... "Do you think she'd like a ...?"

If she knows you don't have a niece, it's a friend's niece.

I cant lie to her. she knows that im a horrible liar. she would pick on to something and she will know the surprise.

I could be your friend. I think you could listen and see if in conversation if any particular models are discussed as desires. Maybe you could ask about a particular model like I saw an Oscar Schmidt xxx what do you think of it. Most people love talking about what they love. Might not be too hard getting some clues.

I don't play, kind sir.

You definitely want to go with an all solid wood uke. Since she has a spruce top already, then maybe solid Koa this time. Or maybe solid mahogany. Something that would give her a different sound from the spruce. On HMS, there are several choices from Romero, Kanilea, KoAloha and Pono that are in the $700-$1000 range. One choice in your price range that jumps out at me is this Pono. Solid cedar top, solid mahogany back & sides, and includes a hard case. That would be a mellower sound and a nice uke at a nice price. However, Pono is said to have a thicker neck profile & it has a radiused fret board that she may or may not like.

Indeed Pono is a fascinating brand and although I don't have much experience with them I have contemplated buying one. The Mango and Mahogany Deluxe models on the HMS site sure look very appealing in both tenor and concert sizes, even the pineapple shaped one. If I received one of these as a gift it would make me VERY happy and each time I play it I remember the person who made effort to give it.

:agree:

If that’s not what you want to do then I’d go for the different and complementary to what she already has, perhaps something that might act as a backup in case her Uke got damaged too. You might be well served by listening to others who play similarly to her and your options on what might be useful are manyfold.

Personally I like Sopranos and Concerts, but mostly Sopranos. Sopranos are so handy and some are quite loud too - easy to take anywhere, they don’t cost the earth and they can be tough too. A vintage Soprano doesn’t need to cost a vast amount and might give her a lot of fun ........ just a different angle and you might have some change left to help her buy another Tenor if that’s her hope.

I like the back up idea

Last edited:
Well, on the other thread I talked about getting something different to what she already has. I've attached a picture of my ukes. They range in price from US$100 to US$450. The most expensive one is the second from the left. They all offer something different. I'll talk about each one below

Far left: Luna Tattoo Pineapple - This is a laminate soprano, so it is durable and portable. I don't like playing it at all, but my wife does. It is our first uke, so it holds some sentimental value.
Second from left: Mele Mango Concert - It took me a while to work out that I like playing concert sized ukes best. This was purchased on our trip to Maui a few years ago and we splurged a bit.
Middle: S&J Crafts Milo Concert Pineapple - I got this one because I wanted a concert uke strung with a low G. The different tone wood and shape, etc., also give this quite a different sound to the other concert uke.
Second from right: KPK Acacia Tenor - This one was the first uke we got when I decided I didn't like the Luna. I keep it strung with a low G and it has a few more frets than the Milo uke and a bit more space between strings, so it works in some instances where the other doesn't. It is a bit of a stretch to finger some chords, though, so I often prefer the concert.
Far right: Bruce Wei Koa Guitarlele - This one has 2 extra strings and arguably isn't a ukulele at all. It allows me to play a few things that wouldn't be possible on a normal uke, but chords are a lot more difficult.

View attachment 114201

As you can see, there is a good reason to own all of those ukes (except maybe the Luna but don't tell my wife that). See if you can get her something that she doesn't have that she will use. Does she play with a high G (re-entrant tuning) or a low G (linear tuning)? Would she like to try the other one? A baritone would have different tuning altogether. Would she like that? A soprano would give a distinct sound, but might not have enough room on the fretboard for her. Another way to go would be to get a different sounding tonewood. She currently has a spruce top, which sounds very bright, so how about something made from mahogany, which sounds warm and mellow? Of course, this all depends on her preferences, but personally, I like to have a variety.

I cant see the link :(

At this point, I would agree with a gift card/money towards a better ukulele that is beyond what you can/want to spend. I think for most people, at least for me, there is one ukulele I own that gets played the most. Others are just as nice, one that is nicer, and I play them all, but that ukulele has been my go to uke for more than 10 years.

If what you want is to get her that go to ukulele, it may not happen, even with more dollars. It is just so personal between sound, how it would plays, and just being comfortable taking it wherever you go.

My only other thought would be if she performs in a band setting, an earlier post mentioned other instruments, is to get her an electric ukulele, such as a Godin Multiuke or a Pono TE that can be used on stage through an amp or a PA system without the feedback issues of an acoustic uke. The sunburst Godin with onboard eq would be especially nice and be my choice.

John

Last edited:
At this point, I would agree with a gift card/money towards a better ukulele that is beyond what you can/want to spend. I think for most people, at least for me, there is one ukulele I own that gets played the most. Others are just as nice, one that is nicer, and I play them all, but that ukulele has been my go to uke for more than 10 years.

If what you want is to get her that go to ukulele, it may not happen, even with more dollars. It is just so personal between sound, how it would plays, and just being comfortable taking it wherever you go.

My only other thought would be if she performs in a band setting, an earlier post mentioned other instruments, is to get her an electric ukulele, such as a Godin Multiuke or a Pono TE that can be used on stage through an amp or a PA system without the feedback issues of an acoustic uke. The sunburst Godin with onboard eq would be especially nice and be my choice.

John

I just remembered talking to her along time ago about an electric uke and she did get excited. how does that compare to a regular uke? and what are some good electric Uke?

*if I stick with original price range. I will have to GO for a martin. they seem to have a good line of ukes. I remember I was joking with her awhile back about buying a martin guitar and she was shocked that I would spend that much money on a guitar. even though she thinks that they are awesome instruments. (she just cant afford them.)

* I really, really like what raftergirl idea ofgetting a different kind of wood? I feel like that would give her a different tone even at the same price range. I guess, the downside would be that manufacturing? tell me if im wrong. I keep seeing solid Koa on ukes from 400-1000+k. The main difference seems to be the manufacturing?

* im really considering the Ohana TK-350G Limited Edition Solid Koa Gloss Tenor Ukulele at this point.
just for the beauty and the type of material used. im just not sure how the sound quality is on that uke. im not sure how much of an upgrade this is for her current set up.

You certainly are putting a lot of thought into this. For Martin ukuleles, you should keep in mind that they were the top of the about 100 years ago, and many Martins from the 20s and 30s still sound magical. But with the new ones produced in Mexico, you have to be careful about the lower end ones that are made of "composite" materials and straddle a fine line between toy and instrument. Some people like them, but .... As for Koa - this is the wood that traditional Hawaiian ukes were built from, and the Hawaiian makers still know how to make great sounding ukes with it. But I find that if Koa is used for mass production in Asia the resulting instruments often sound lifeless - it's just a marketing gadget and does not add real value.

Though I liked the Kala Elite Koas that I tried, and this one seems to be at a very sweet price point: https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-usa-elite-1koa-concert-pack-2.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom