Help: Buying a nice Ukulele for a friend that plays a alot.

You certainly are putting a lot of thought into this. For Martin ukuleles, you should keep in mind that they were the top of the about 100 years ago, and many Martins from the 20s and 30s still sound magical. But with the new ones produced in Mexico, you have to be careful about the lower end ones that are made of "composite" materials and straddle a fine line between toy and instrument. Some people like them, but .... As for Koa - this is the wood that traditional Hawaiian ukes were built from, and the Hawaiian makers still know how to make great sounding ukes with it. But I find that if Koa is used for mass production in Asia the resulting instruments often sound lifeless - it's just a marketing gadget and does not add real value.

Though I liked the Kala Elite Koas that I tried, and this one seems to be at a very sweet price point: https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-usa-elite-1koa-concert-pack-2.html
That's a nice looking Kala Elite concert at a nice price. Kala Elite are a step up in quality over the regular import Kala line. The Kala Elites are made in the USA.

That she already has a pretty nice uke does make it a bit harder to find something that will really blow her mind. I still feel that you should go with a real instrument instead of a gift card. And I agree with those who suggested something complementary to what she already has. Although not as different as a vintage or a banjo uke. Those are very different animals altogether.

I'd stay away from Kala and Ohana, as these would only be a lateral move instead of a step up (except for the Kala Elite someone brought up). And I agree that Martins are not to everyone's taste. My suggestion would still lean towards a KoAloha Opio, because it is made of totally different wood, has a different look and the whole Hawaiian style to it. Or something like the Romero Creations Tiny Tenor in all solid Koa wood? That one has a totally different look, is somewhat more portable, and many players swear by them. Other than that, I agree that the Cedar top Pono mentioned by others is a big step above the Kalas and Ohanas (I have owned several of each).

Again, if you buy it from The Ukulele Site, they will let you return it in case your friend won't like the one you got. This way, you can give her a real instrument, but have a backup plan to replace it with something she'd prefer over the one you picked. All your considerations and your willingness to raise your budget show that you greatly care about your friend. That alone would make me very, very happy as your friend.

Another thought: As mentioned above, I feel that a gift card is not the same as a real instrument. But how about inviting her on a date without telling her what it is, and then take a trip to one of the fine music stores - depending on where you are located, e.g. Uke Republic, Mim's, Elderly in Michigan, or U-Space L.A. in California -, where she can pick the uke she likes best (within a given budget)…? The trip alone would probably make for some pretty good memories.

Last edited:
If this site is correct, the Elites have a wider nut width. She may not care, but since some people do, it could makae a difference for her. Or not.

https://ukenut.com/comparison-of-ukulele-nut-widths/

I have Kamaka and Gretsch tenors, and a KoAloha concert and have not measured the nut width, but the two tenors feel more comfortable and I think their nuts are wider. So if this is relatively wide for a concert, it's likely an advantage to be more similar to a tenor width.

I have Kamaka and Gretsch tenors, and a KoAloha concert and have not measured the nut width, but the two tenors feel more comfortable and I think their nuts are wider. So if this is relatively wide for a concert, it's likely an advantage to be more similar to a tenor width.

It wouldn't an advantage for me, so it may or may not matter to the person who will receive the ukulele, who we were told has small hands. It's one of those individual things - some people prefer wider nut widths, some of us need the opposite. So, just pointing it out as something to consider.

Im most likely going to buy soon just to ride the sale season. im highly considering KoAloha brand since its seems to have the most recommendations. im still open for suggestions though.... my only concern with the KoAloha is the design. im not sure If its something that would bother her or not... that neck design is weird, even for my taste,lol

any US Made ukes with reputable name for my price range?

You certainly are putting a lot of thought into this. For Martin ukuleles, you should keep in mind that they were the top of the about 100 years ago, and many Martins from the 20s and 30s still sound magical. But with the new ones produced in Mexico, you have to be careful about the lower end ones that are made of "composite" materials and straddle a fine line between toy and instrument. Some people like them, but .... As for Koa - this is the wood that traditional Hawaiian ukes were built from, and the Hawaiian makers still know how to make great sounding ukes with it. But I find that if Koa is used for mass production in Asia the resulting instruments often sound lifeless - it's just a marketing gadget and does not add real value.

Though I liked the Kala Elite Koas that I tried, and this one seems to be at a very sweet price point: https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-usa-elite-1koa-concert-pack-2.html

thank you for clarifying this.

That's a nice looking Kala Elite concert at a nice price. Kala Elite are a step up in quality over the regular import Kala line. The Kala Elites are made in the USA.

HMS doesn't seem to have a tenor version. have you seen anything or am I missing it?

That she already has a pretty nice uke does make it a bit harder to find something that will really blow her mind. I still feel that you should go with a real instrument instead of a gift card. And I agree with those who suggested something complementary to what she already has. Although not as different as a vintage or a banjo uke. Those are very different animals altogether.

I'd stay away from Kala and Ohana, as these would only be a lateral move instead of a step up (except for the Kala Elite someone brought up). And I agree that Martins are not to everyone's taste. My suggestion would still lean towards a KoAloha Opio, because it is made of totally different wood, has a different look and the whole Hawaiian style to it. Or something like the Romero Creations Tiny Tenor in all solid Koa wood? That one has a totally different look, is somewhat more portable, and many players swear by them. Other than that, I agree that the Cedar top Pono mentioned by others is a big step above the Kalas and Ohanas (I have owned several of each).

Again, if you buy it from The Ukulele Site, they will let you return it in case your friend won't like the one you got. This way, you can give her a real instrument, but have a backup plan to replace it with something she'd prefer over the one you picked. All your considerations and your willingness to raise your budget show that you greatly care about your friend. That alone would make me very, very happy as your friend.

Another thought: As mentioned above, I feel that a gift card is not the same as a real instrument. But how about inviting her on a date without telling her what it is, and then take a trip to one of the fine music stores - depending on where you are located, e.g. Uke Republic, Mim's, Elderly in Michigan, or U-Space L.A. in California -, where she can pick the uke she likes best (within a given budget)…? The trip alone would probably make for some pretty good memories.

I really like what you said. and the way you think. I feel like you really understand what im trying to achieve. I agree with the lateral movement. want a step up.

unfortunately shes not around so Im also making this gift as a welcome home gift for her.

Oh, weird. It's not working anymore, huh. Try this.

View attachment 114235

wow! those are some beautiful ukes! I like the furtherst one to the right

If this site is correct, the Elites have a wider nut width. She may not care, but since some people do, it could makae a difference for her. Or not.

https://ukenut.com/comparison-of-ukulele-nut-widths/

It wouldn't an advantage for me, so it may or may not matter to the person who will receive the ukulele, who we were told has small hands. It's one of those individual things - some people prefer wider nut widths, some of us need the opposite. So, just pointing it out as something to consider.

thank you for the input

Wow they are already out of koa and mango concert sized ones and only two concert opios left. They sell crazy fast it seems.

man! I had my one on one of the KoAloha ukes and its gone now! things are selling like hot cakes!

Any US Made ukes with reputable name for my price range?

The Kala Elite models which have been mentioned are made in California. She already knows the brand and would know that it is a big step up from a Chinese import to one made in the U.S. Another brand that is made entirely in the U.S. within reach of your budget is Larrivee. Their guitars are well-known among musicians, one of their ukes would fit well into a bluegrass band. The least expensive Hawaiian made tenor is Kanilea K1-T, starting at $972 USD. Might be worth the extra stretch...

just got off the phone with eric from HMS. great dude and he has given me some great advice! shout out to him!

im thinking of getting this for her

Koaloha Tenor Acacia Opio Ukulele Package (KTO-10)

my plan is have it shipped when she gets back in the US so that she can try it out or exchange it for something she likes better. within that 7 day period.

just got off the phone with eric from HMS. great dude and he has given me some great advice! shout out to him!

my plan is have it shipped when she gets back in the US so that she can try it out or exchange it for something she likes better. within that 7 day period.

Sounds like a great plan :)

Great choice. My KoAloha is a much loved member of my little ukulele family. The neck profile & nut size are very comfortable for me to play. The lovely Acacia sound of the KoAloha Opio will be a nice compliment to her other uke. You've definitely done your research & picked a winner. I think she's going to love it! Let us know how it all turns out.

Last edited:
I just remembered talking to her along time ago about an electric uke and she did get excited. how does that compare to a regular uke? and what are some good electric Uke?

It looks like you have decided on the KoAloha Opio, which is great and I don't want to dissuade you. To answer your question... the electric ukulele I'm referring to is more like a solid body, no sound hole. The Godin Multiuke is actually chambered which means there are areas that are not solid wood and the uke is has a soundboard type of top.. cedar, spruce etc. It really needs to be plugged into an amp or PA to really hear it. There is some acoustic sound so it can be played to practice without amplification but it has little volume compared to a true acoustic ukulele. It uses nylon/fluorocarbon strings just like a traditional ukulele and plays the same. The main strength of the uke is as a stage/live performing instrument because the sound is transferred from a pickup under the saddle and run through a pre-amp where you can adjust the bass/mid/treble and output volume. Because there is no soundhole there is less chance to get feedback so she can run it through a Marshall stack set at 11 and not worry about any other instruments around her. It would probably never be a uke that she would just pick up and play as a favorite, but it may be the one she would use to perform on stage.

John

Having read this whole thread I have to say that in general I don't think it is a good idea at all to buy any musician an instrument that they didn't ask for. All my accoustic ukes have Spruce tops, if someone saw that and thought what I needed was a nice, more expensive Mahogany tenor to compliment them I'd end up with a really nice uke that never got played. Even if they saw that I liked Spruce tops the chances of them buying a uke that I would buy myself are slim. That said, I have two questions for HelloChips:

How did your friend get her current uke?

Unless she bought literally the only uke she could find I have to think she sunk $400 into one she really likes the sound and playability of. If she is playing folk and bluegrass style music on a Spruce topped uke then I'm not really seeing how buying a Hawaiian sounding Koa uke is a good idea. Like I said above, just because it's different and more expensive doesn't mean it'll be liked or wanted. My most expensive uke sits in the closet because I never really bonded with it.

Is she willing to risk hurting your feelings and sending what you buy back? And are you willing to do all the work to return it if the answer is yes?

If she isn't the type who will flat out tell you, thanks but no thanks, then she might end up with a really nice uke that was a great gesture but just never gets played much. That would be a waste of a gift and a uke.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Perhaps I'm jaded from having 'great ideas' that really weren't so great :)

John

PS If you really have to buy her a uke I'd second the idea of the other John and get her a Multiuke or Pono TE. They would at least have the possibility of being just what she needs.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I don't know anything about Ukuleles but I have been researching them online and been watching lots of youtube videos to educate myself. I need this forum's help purchasing a nice ukulele for a close friend of mine (as a surprise) who plays a lot of bluegrass, folk, country type of music.

price range of $500-600

Going right back to the original question and with what we now know.

You now know that your friend already has a very good Uke for her performance work. You also have been advised how personal the choice of a Uke is and particularly so for something expensive to be (hopefully) treasured.

Others have pointed out ‘think alternative’ rather than throwing money at something and, even with your best efforts, hoping to come up with the perfect gift that’s a step up from what she already has. IMHO, at this price level hope isn’t enough. I wouldn’t want to be remembered as the guy who spent mega bucks and still bought the wrong thing, so overall I suggest that it really is best to let her choose for herself and contribute what you feel you can afford to the bill. If you must buy something then a back-up Tenor Ukulele could serve her well and a Soprano (something much more compact) could be played on the tour bus and in hotel bedrooms (for fun, practice or working something out) or even on stage as an alternative (Ukulele) voice.

Pardon my comments, they are not ment to offend but rather to be just an invitation to review where you are going with your gift now that you have additional information.

As an aside when I got married I bought my wife a Piano for our home. I paid but she selected what she wanted and for many decades she’s had daily pleasure from her choice. Over those decades I have been very glad that I was wise enough to let her choose such a personal item for herself.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan :)

its what im planning to do but things might change. Im planning to contact MIMS to see what she can do with returns. if she offers a better return policy, I may end up going with her with a different plan.

Great choice. My KoAloha is a much loved member of my little ukulele family. The neck profile & nut size are very comfortable for me to play. The lovely Acacia sound of the KoAloha Opio will be a nice compliment to her other uke. You've definitely done your research & picked a winner. I think she's going to love it! Let us know how it all turns out.

Thank you for your support. It seems like a all around good instrument. worst case scenario, she can return it and pick something else that she wants.

It looks like you have decided on the KoAloha Opio, which is great and I don't want to dissuade you. To answer your question... the electric ukulele I'm referring to is more like a solid body, no sound hole. The Godin Multiuke is actually chambered which means there are areas that are not solid wood and the uke is has a soundboard type of top.. cedar, spruce etc. It really needs to be plugged into an amp or PA to really hear it. There is some acoustic sound so it can be played to practice without amplification but it has little volume compared to a true acoustic ukulele. It uses nylon/fluorocarbon strings just like a traditional ukulele and plays the same. The main strength of the uke is as a stage/live performing instrument because the sound is transferred from a pickup under the saddle and run through a pre-amp where you can adjust the bass/mid/treble and output volume. Because there is no soundhole there is less chance to get feedback so she can run it through a Marshall stack set at 11 and not worry about any other instruments around her. It would probably never be a uke that she would just pick up and play as a favorite, but it may be the one she would use to perform on stage.

John

really, really good info. I like the feedback comment. I was wondering why not just get a one of those pick ups that you install manually. make sense for shows.

im still open for suggestions since I still have time.

Having read this whole thread I have to say that in general I don't think it is a good idea at all to buy any musician an instrument that they didn't ask for. All my accoustic ukes have Spruce tops, if someone saw that and thought what I needed was a nice, more expensive Mahogany tenor to compliment them I'd end up with a really nice uke that never got played. Even if they saw that I liked Spruce tops the chances of them buying a uke that I would buy myself are slim. That said, I have two questions for HelloChips:

How did your friend get her current uke?

Unless she bought literally the only uke she could find I have to think she sunk $400 into one she really likes the sound and playability of. If she is playing folk and bluegrass style music on a Spruce topped uke then I'm not really seeing how buying a Hawaiian sounding Koa uke is a good idea. Like I said above, just because it's different and more expensive doesn't mean it'll be liked or wanted. My most expensive uke sits in the closet because I never really bonded with it.

Is she willing to risk hurting your feelings and sending what you buy back? And are you willing to do all the work to return it if the answer is yes?

If she isn't the type who will flat out tell you, thanks but no thanks, then she might end up with a really nice uke that was a great gesture but just never gets played much. That would be a waste of a gift and a uke.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Perhaps I'm jaded from having 'great ideas' that really weren't so great :)

John

PS If you really have to buy her a uke I'd second the idea of the other John and get her a Multiuke or Pono TE. They would at least have the possibility of being just what she needs.

Thank you John( there seem to be a lot of johns in the forum :) )

you know what. I often wonder how she got her ukes. she lives in a really small town and when I googled it, the closest music store was about an hour away.... im pretty sure her parents bought her uke for her. ( we really don't talk much about music )

I want to say that she may not have much of a choice picking her uke because I don't think she would have been able to afford it and im not sure if the city where she got the uke would have the inventory or selection for her to try out.

also, this is why the return policy is important because if she doesn't like the uke then she can return it with no problem.

Going right back to the original question and with what we now know.

You now know that your friend already has a very good Uke for her performance work. You also have been advised how personal the choice of a Uke is and particularly so for something expensive to be (hopefully) treasured.

Others have pointed out ‘think alternative’ rather than throwing money at something and, even with your best efforts, hoping to come up with the perfect gift that’s a step up from what she already has. IMHO, at this price level hope isn’t enough. I wouldn’t want to be remembered as the guy who spent mega bucks and still bought the wrong thing, so overall I suggest that it really is best to let her choose for herself and contribute what you feel you can afford to the bill. If you must buy something then a back-up Tenor Ukulele could serve her well and a Soprano (something much more compact) could be played on the tour bus and in hotel bedrooms (for fun, practice or working something out) or even on stage as an alternative (Ukulele) voice.

Pardon my comments, they are not ment to offend but rather to be just an invitation to review where you are going with your gift now that you have additional information.

As an aside when I got married I bought my wife a Piano for our home. I paid but she selected what she wanted and for many decades she’s had daily pleasure from her choice. Over those decades I have been very glad that I was wise enough to let her choose such a personal item for herself.

I appreciate the comment and suggestion. that's why the return policy is VERY important. if she doesn't like the instrument she can pick something else. but at least she got something rather than a gift card. and the value of the instrument will give her more purchasing power.

Top Bottom