Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Oakland CA.

Default Hello from Oakland CA.

I am not sure what made me purchase my first ukulele, but having not played any instruments for years, I decided to go ahead and get a blemished Cordoba 21T from Butler Music via eBay. It's a tenor with a solid spruce top, and ebony sides and back.

It is in perfect condition, and it took a long time to find what may be the blemish. I checked the intonation with my tuner, and it seems fine.

My interest is in early and baroque music, and I am starting this journey by working on some pieces by Robert de Visee. My ukulele will never sound like a classic guitar, but I am having fun learning to play it.

Now I need to overcome my old age arthritis, strengthen my left hand, and develop some calluses.

Welcome to the forums!! I too am an early music lover.

Hello! Developing calluses is a painful but rewarding experience for sure, lol.

Welcome to the forums.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

Today is the third day with my new ukulele, and I am already working to improve it. I got out my Swiss files, and reduced the string height at the nut, and also sanded down the bone insert at the bridge.

It made a positive improvement in playability. I think I will leave it alone for awhile, and continue to play it before making any more changes.

Welcome from another Oaktowner! I hoping my fingers let me play too. Like fingerpicking too.

Well I have had my ukulele for a week, and I think it is taking over my life. My left hand is getting stronger, and I can now play for hours without discomfort. One of the things that brought me to the ukulele was my arthritis made it too difficult to play the guitar, but all the left hand work is actually helping overcome some of the joint stiffness and pain. It's kinda like squeezing a rubber tharapy ball, but fun.

Welcome to the forums. I have also found that playing the ukulele helps my arthritic hands.
    - Laura

Quote Originally Posted by actadh View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I have also found that playing the ukulele helps my arthritic hands.
    In my case, it was quite unexpected.

You may want to check out Oakland Uke Jam on factor Meetup for jam sessions/ uke boot camp in the are. Google for lessons in the area if you're so inclined. There are a min the area. Freight and Salvage in Berkeley has a 6 wk class for $130 (1.5 hr sessions).

Thread Information