APC / Carvalho SS Model Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I agree with your review: their advertisement is confusing or misleading at best, with practices such as labelling their Acacia as Koa or "European Koa" and using the word "solid" for laminate instruments. I suspect it might be a collective of "luthiers" operating under the same brand name, similar to Bruce Weiart in Vietnam. It's definitely not a small luthiery: The APC brand has a huge output of all kinds of instruments, and they also provide the house brand of Thomann, one of Europe's largest music retailers. I'm afraid many customers in Europe are ending up with their instruments because they are so omnipresent and relatively affordable, and because they are misled by the buzz words in their advertisement. Whenever a brand uses such methods, my advice would be to stay away from them altogether and go with one of the brands that are highly recommended by the international ukulele community instead.

Last edited:
Your final line advice is mine too. Totally.

Whilst this is the first of theirs I have reviewed, I have played many - in each case I wasn't impressed for similar reasons. The old adage of 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS too good to be true applies I think. Hand made (question mark) all solid Koa (question mark) for only £140. Nope - that can't be done. Yet people buy the marketing spin. I actually think my final score on this one is higher than I wanted it to be, but I had to tone down my desire to let anger at the sharp practice come through in the summary!

Top Bottom