S357 - Let's celebrate!

Caught up to here. Almost 13 hours left at the time I'm writing this. Keep them coming.

Be careful what you wish for :rofl:

When making these travesties I use a quick working title in the "save" . Just a shorthand so I don't have to spell out
long song titles. I rather thought that this one was appropriate to keep as the work in progress title LOL.

Here's one more that has kind of a humorous take on seasonal stress. Buck Owens must have really loved Christmas, because he wrote a lot of songs about it and made several Christmas albums.

One more. I may not be a believer, but I like this song! I added synth strings and flute.

2000 Miles

Well, trying to get a last one in before the Season is over. This is a cover of "2000 Miles", originally by the Pretenders, later by Coldplay. I'd never heard this one until today, on a holiday music channel, so I decided to give I a try. I had a tough time finding a good key for my voice, but here it is. I'll really have it down by next Christmas. ;)

Didn't think I would get this done in time for the midnight Hawaii cut-off, but the Christmas Eve trip to the bakers wasn't as painful as expected - the queue was only half way down the road. If anybody runs out of bread, we have it.

So here's that Slade classic you've all been dreading. Amazingly, I think I got to Dec 20th before I heard it this year, by avoiding all major shopping centres and commercial radio stations.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Well Season 357 has been over some time now.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed.

I have a few late entries to catch up on. I'll get it done as soon as I can. Happy Christmas to you all.

Happy Holidays All. I missed this one too, yikes I’ve been busy. Ciao and Best to all

So here's that Slade classic you've all been dreading. Amazingly, I think I got to Dec 20th before I heard it this year, by avoiding all major shopping centres and commercial radio stations.

We did a band arrangement for our choir/band Christmas concert so had been playing it through November. :stop::music::nana:

I've finally caught up with all your entries and they should be on the playlist.

My apologies for the delay in listening to the last few entries. I'm afraid something called Christmas got in the way and we had visitors from another planet (well my elder daughter & family from London but I think that counts as another planet). They've gone home now and things are quiet again - relatively.

I'll try and get some sort of wrap done soon.

Here's the wrap for S357 with a traditional song in the background

Nothing fancy & no prizes, simply acknowledgements of all the entries. If I've missed yours off, PM me and I'll add credits later. Thanks to all who celebrated the season with us.

For this who like these things, here's some info about the song:

The wren traditionally symbolised winter and the robin summer. The king was the wren. The wren was the king of the birds. In ancient religions the king was sacrificed every seven years for the fertility and good of the tribe. In some places (Ireland) the queen was royal and married new consorts to be sacrificed. The consort was treated well for seven years (or one year) and then sacrificed by the new consort. A wren was killed and dressed up in ribbons, etc. and carried around the village.

This song is from Pembrokeshire in South Wales, commemorating the wren-killing on St. Steven's Day, Dec 26. Old Christmas, still celebrated rather than December 25, is Twelfth Night.

This custom is still continued in some places, especially in parts of Ireland but wrens are no longer killed. Rather a stuffed object to represent the wren is carried round the village. There are other songs that celebrate the "wren sacrifice".

Most enjoyable and festive Season Geoff and a very pretty tune to finish with, particularly liked the sound of the alto recorder.

I didn't listen to this until after New Year's Day, but this KEXP podcast has a lot of new Christmas themed songs by obscure artists, and a lot of them are pretty good. Maybe someone will want to do one when we do this theme next year. There's a couple songs that I wouldn't mind taking a crack at.

http://kexp.org/podcasts/music-matters/2018/12/21/music-matters-vol-648-merry-xmas-face-future/

1. BEAK> - (Merry Xmas) Face The Future
2. Pre Nup - War, On Christmas
3. Gaspard Royant - (C'mon Baby) It's Christmas Time!
4. The Dip - Santa's Got A Sweet Tooth
5. Hans Toupee - Lights Camera Christmas
6. Say Sue Me - Christmas, It’s Not A Biggie
7. Make Like Monkeys - Screw Me on Christmas
8. MFC Chicken - Father Christmas
9. Nat Brower - Coal
10. Lacee - Juicy Lip Santa
11. Moogieman - Red Xmas
12. Oneida - Christmas with the Freaks
13. headache24 - The Xmas Tragedy
14. The X-Misses - There's No Christmas in Hell (And That's Why I'm so Sad)
15. Catholic Action - New Year (Christmas Miracle Mix)
16. BLAHA! - It's Christmas Time (and I Have Nothing Left To Lose)
17. Laurence Made Me Cry - It's Not You, It's Christmas
18. Sunset Flip - Christmas in Seattle

Top Bottom