S357 - Let's celebrate!

Happy birthday, Geoff! :cheers:

I did this Loretta Lynn song last year, and it's a real favorite of mine, so I recorded it again now. I love the sarcastic sass of it, as in so many of her songs, the "celebration" here is a good bye. This is a tricky tune to pull, feels like everything is coming at me super fast during the one, meaning the picking, the chords and the words.

This song is a celebration of snowmen everywhere - just like humans it’s a lot of fun making them but unlike us their lives are disappointingly short. It’s also a celebration of Raymond Briggs - the creator of The Snowman story as well as several other wonderful characters - including the gloriously disgusting Fungus The Bogeyman!
And Happy Birthday Geoff!

Last edited:
I will give you all a break from my usual screeching.
Instead, I shall play for you an instrumental version of the Christmas song closest to my heart this year (and most years.)
I came up with this arrangement last week.

Season 357. Submission 1. "It's A Beautiful Day Today" (Written by Bob Mosley and recorded by the Moby Grape in 1969)

Happy Birthday, Geoff, and thank you for hosting the week with this wonderful theme.

Geoff, I'm bringing a song by the Moby Grape that reminds us of the joy to be found in celebrating the gift of each day we are given.

Both tracks here by me, played on a baritone uke tuned down 2 steps.

Happy Birthday, Geoff! Let's rock!

Very Christmas heavy celebration song. I'm hoping for a Silent Night any day now.

Here's a famous song recorded by several artists, co-written by guitarist Hank "Sugarfoot" Garland. It's still popular today in bluegrass circles, though mostly done as an instrumental. I included the lyrics here because the song is about a guy celebrating winning money on a horse race.

And, "HO, HO, HO" to you, John! Hello, Geoff ... thanks for the week! I only discovered this song a couple of weeks ago. If it's celebrating anything, then it's the avarice of mid-Twentieth-Century children in the Land of Plenty; but, it DOES mention Christmas in just about every line, so, I suppose it's seasonal. I realised, when I tried to start singing that I am losing my voice (Christmas cold coming up), but the end result sort of fits in with my attempt at an impression of a young child. (Anyway, I can't do it again!) Oh, and that noise at the beginning is genuine "hippo speak" ... who knew they sounded like that; I certainly didn't!

Last edited:
Season 357 - Happy Xmas

Lets Celebrate! Happy Birthday Geoff!

Happy Xmas by John Lennon is a favorite of our uke club. So much so in fact that I composed alternate lyrics so we could sing it in the summer time too. Anyway here is my version of Lennon's lyrics multi-tracked for harmony vocals and other back up parts.

Sometimes the best celebrations are those done with the ones closest to you, instead of a big extended family that you see only once or twice a year.

Top Bottom