S357 - Let's celebrate!

Tootler

Reaction score
I think I may have used this theme before but hey ho.

It's coming up to Christmas and whether you are religious or not, it's a time of celebration, so bring me songs of celebration. They can be any form of celebration, religious (any religion) or secular. Have you a Birthday this week? I have so that's another excuse for a celebration.

I've not done an intro video as such but In the next post in the thread, there's an original seasonal song. Give it a spin and see if you like it.

I'll say no more than one song a day to start with and I'll see how it goes. I'm likely to be a little busy this week as we've had some work done in the house.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week
* Ukulele must be a prominent feature though other instruments may also feature.
* State verbally or in writing your video is for Season 357
* Original songs are especially welcome
* Instrumentals are welcome as is multi tracking
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night* * * Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

If you're not sure if a song fits, it probably does so do it and enter it anyway. No need to check with me. I'm not going to reject any of your entries. They are all good.

Playlist

I will comment on individual songs on You Tube and add periodic summaries in the thread.

Last edited:
Sort of Intro Video

I wrote this song last year but I struggled to write a tune for it that I liked. I realised one day that it would fit a traditional tune so I've used that and I think it works.
Like all carols, it's a mix of religious and secular. My idea was combine the religious and secular celebration of this time of year.

Fair warning Geoff: I'm off work all week

:smileybounce:

Here comes the early shift.
This celebratory song is full of minor, minor 6 and minor 7 chords.Maybe not so typical in that respect.I didn't realise it was co-written by actor / singer Anthony Newley for a musical. Most famously sung by the great Nina Simone.
Thanks Geoff!

I'm gonna post this in my season but I feel like "I'm Still Alive" is a thing to celebrate. Plus I find this very cathartic to sing in the car at full blast.

And I spent a lot of time on it and want people to actually watch it..

I will get in early with this non-religious Christmas song - it appears to celebrate shopping, which seems a bit odd to me. Anyway, to add to the jolly festive spirit, I tied some bells to my left foot.

So I decided to try a Madonna song....... Yes, you read that right. I always have liked her, so I gave this one a shot after a quick work up.

It is a fact that in Scotland New Year and especially Hogmanay is celebrated more than Christmas,
and the song Auld Lang Syne which was written by Robert Burns is known throughout the world and
is sung on the stroke of midnight. If you visit family at Christmas then Hogmanay is a time for visiting
friends offering them a wee dram and wishing them well for the new year.
This tradition is called first footing. To find out more about first footing go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-foot

Last edited:

This was my dad’s favorite Christmas song, and if you were around last season you know what a big statement that is. The holidays are a lonely time for a lot of people, and sometimes celebrations can leave you feeling more isolated. This song goes out to all of you who feel lonely right now.

I nearly never get enough sleep. So when I do, it's cause for celebration.

Peace be with you all!

Here's one I think you'll like, Geoff. I learned about the mummers tradition and first heard this song just a few days ago from the Folklore Podcast. The original is by a Nova Scotian folk duo called Simani.

This one's for hendulele!

When I was a kid, the Pogo comic strip would always have weird variations of Christmas carols, like "Deck Us All With Boston Charlie". So in the mid-'80s, I tried writing my own version of a Pogo-style carol. A couple of the lines have been revised since then.

Lyrics:

Dachshund troubadour
Any goner’s hope in Spain
Oven the escargot
Latin Hall of Fame
Paisley cotton string
Bacon spears on rye
Oat muffins a-tizzle singeing flavors impolite!

Oh, Gin Gilda
Gin Gilda
Gin Gilda LeMay
All the phantoms in her boudoir wonder who’s been slain

I’m not a religious man, but I’ve always loved to sing Christmas carols. I don’t know whether this song could be classed as a carol, but I’ve loved it since childhood. The donkeys in the video belong to a friend and I occasionally help out looking after them - they are such beautiful and gentle animals, and extremely photogenic! So this is a celebration of these wonderful creatures and of the vital contribution they still make as pack animals in many poorer societies across the world.

End of Sunday, day 1 and 13 videos already. That's a pretty good start.
Time for beddy byes. I expect (hope) those in later time zones will have something by the time I get up tomorrow.

This is among my favorite songs. Paul McCartney. I used my concert Flea, my banjolele, a shaker and multitrack voices. I made the animation, too.

Top Bottom