8 string ukulele, I don't have opportunity to try in store, need advice from you guys

Newstart

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently torn between a few options on getting a 8 string ukulele.

I am new to to playing and I love the sound of the 8 string tenor and know I want to purchase one for Christmas, preferably electro acoustic.

I would prefer to try before I buy but unfortunately none of my local stores have any in stock so I need to order online.

I have found a second hand Ashbury AU-65E tenor 8 string electro acoustic which has a solid spruce top online which is at a very good rate in comparison to the original price. Usually worth around £350. However I have struggled to find many reviews and opinions of this one online.

The next two are at retail prices and are laminate bodies.

The second is the high tide Luna tenor 8 string electro acoustic. I love the look of this one and the cutaway on this one is a very appealing to me. For this I've seen mixed reviews however. Many love it but there is also talk in some views of the factory not being reliable with the quality.

The third option is the Baton Rouge 8 string. I've read a lot of amazing things about this one. Not a bad word said about it however it isn't electro acoustic so I would need to get a pickup added to it.

If any of you guys could give me advice at all I would appreciate it so so much. I am very new in the Uke world and want to make sure I'm making the best choice. Since I can't tried these out myself, I'm relying on other sources.

The Ashbury particularly I can't find any opinions on, so if anyone has one of these and could let me know there's views I would be so grateful

Thank you guys!

I would strongly encourage you to play and more importantly tune an 8 string uke before you buy one. They be more difficult to play especially for a beginner. I have only played Kamaka and Ohana examples and found them fun, but my main instrument is 12 string guitar. Ohana also has the options of a Tenor size which is like Kamaka and has the G and C strings in octaves. The other option is a concert size which mimics the Martin Taropatch and has all strings in unison. So Ohana is probably the best choice for budget priced multistring ukes. I have not heard of the brands you list.

I haven't been overly impressed by the Ashbury ukuleles I have seen...and we do have a single Hobgoblin dealer here in the US, about 30 minutes from my house. I did buy the Asbury Lonely Traveler ukulele--it was unique and priced right, and I bought it on the spot.

I own the Baton Rouge 8 string tenor...had it shipped from the UK by Stones Music, and Mark did a great job of setting it up. That said, I found myself gravitating towards concert ukuleles, and bought the 8-string Ohana as well--this one from Mim's Ukes here in the US. Both play well and are very different. The Baton Rouge is tuned like an 8 string (low G, high G, low C, high C, double E's and A's in unison), and I have the Ohana set up as a true taropatch--concert sized and all strings in unison.

Oscar Schmidt eight strings are pretty inexpensive; Kala has a couple of models as well--and at summer NAMM, Kala introduced a Makala 8 string tenor, too (I haven't seen if they are releasing them yet).

If you mainly play chords (which is what a huge percentage of ukulele players do--perhaps not on this board, but world wide), they are a lot of fun and give you a unique sound.

I would strongly encourage you to play and more importantly tune an 8 string uke before you buy one. They be more difficult to play especially for a beginner. I have only played Kamaka and Ohana examples and found them fun, but my main instrument is 12 string guitar. Ohana also has the options of a Tenor size which is like Kamaka and has the G and C strings in octaves. The other option is a concert size which mimics the Martin Taropatch and has all strings in unison. So Ohana is probably the best choice for budget priced multistring ukes. I have not heard of the brands you list.

Thank you for getting back to me! I think I have my eye on a tenor size one. My brother has a 12 string guitar and I can play some very very basics on that one so gives me hope that a 8 string ukulele will be okay for me. I'm hoping one of the stores near me get one in stock so I can Try but itsnt looking good and I'm hoping to get one for Christmas!

Thanks for your advice I will look into ohana

I haven't been overly impressed by the Ashbury ukuleles I have seen...and we do have a single Hobgoblin dealer here in the US, about 30 minutes from my house. I did buy the Asbury Lonely Traveler ukulele--it was unique and priced right, and I bought it on the spot.

I own the Baton Rouge 8 string tenor...had it shipped from the UK by Stones Music, and Mark did a great job of setting it up. That said, I found myself gravitating towards concert ukuleles, and bought the 8-string Ohana as well--this one from Mim's Ukes here in the US. Both play well and are very different. The Baton Rouge is tuned like an 8 string (low G, high G, low C, high C, double E's and A's in unison), and I have the Ohana set up as a true taropatch--concert sized and all strings in unison.

Oscar Schmidt eight strings are pretty inexpensive; Kala has a couple of models as well--and at summer NAMM, Kala introduced a Makala 8 string tenor, too (I haven't seen if they are releasing them yet).

If you mainly play chords (which is what a huge percentage of ukulele players do--perhaps not on this board, but world wide), they are a lot of fun and give you a unique sound.

Thank you so much for you kind informative response

I think I myself prefer a tenor size. What's your views on adding pick ups, I know that its obviously ideal to get on with one already set up. But the baton rouge again I hear good things for so what's your thoughts on adding a pick up to this one?

I am wanting to do basic finger picking with my chords but nothing to flash, and mainly strumming, Ive taken up ukuleles to occupancy my singing. I image the big full sound of a 8 string will allow me to play simple things along with my voice and the chorus sound will be really effective! This is my hope anyways!

Thank you for the shout out of the other brands as well I will have a look into those ones too! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom