Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Tuner Bites The Dust

Default Another Tuner Bites The Dust

Gosh darn it. I really had high hopes for the Kala rechargeable tuner. It only lasted one charge—almost 6 weeks. Then plugged it in and it just won’t work. Dead snark every 3 months or so. The only working tuner I have now is the d'Addario soundhole tuner I have on my baritone. Maybe because I never have to throw that in my purse.

75837EC1-1663-48F7-99C5-55F23F1F1173.jpg

Anybody got a tuner recommendation?
    Last edited by Martinlover; 12-16-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Try one of these. No batteries required and no moving parts.

41zhc3qJysL._SL1000_.jpg
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

I have had no trouble at all with Snarks. I have two now, and they both work fine. I bought a $20 Kala, and it was a pain to use. It gave out very soon too. It’s in a drawer somewhere now.

Tuning stuff’s a lot easier if you have perfect pitch.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I only use the d'Addario/Planet Waves micro tuner. I have one for each of my ukes and bass ukes that don't have a built in tuner, 17 or 18. The only time I remove them is if I have to change the battery, which is very rare. They're very compact, can be set to be on the top side of the headstock or the bottom side with a reverse button to view the proper readout orientation and rotates to your view. My oldest has been working for about 4 years, and never had one die.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

In the house, I use an app on my iPhone called GuitarToolkit. This is a great multi-purpose app for many uke related functions. There are other cheaper "just a tuner" apps
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Cordoba C1m 1/4, TI CF127, G
    Cordoba Mini M, SC F# EFS
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G

Jim's Blog

I use Intelli IMT 500 and 600 tuners. They use a 3v CR2032 battery that some people may not want to buy, but I get them in bulk off of eBay. I’m still using an IMT-500 I bought in 2007. I’ve yet to have one fail.

John

DaTuner android app also bites the dust by pushing adds now
    I used to be such a fan of this tuner, using it to anything from guitar, ukulele, recorder and even keyboard voice sound pitch tests. Now the experience has been gone down a lot.

I do like my UniTune TC Electronic clip a lot. Somewhat more expensive than your typical snarks etc, but well worth it.

To OP, some rechargeable tuner is in my opinion a bad idea. Rechargeable batteries can be maybe yes, a tuner no. Only who will have a recharging device for something like a Cr2032 battery? Tuner batteries are light for a reason. Not that I myself keep one attached to my uke's head.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 12-15-2018 at 11:48 PM.

This topic has arisen before and I still don't know what you people do to those poor tuners. I bought my Snark on November 29, 2014 and it is still running. I have changed the battery twice or thrice. Maybe I have been very lucky. Maybe it is my methodology. I don't always have the tuner attached to the instruments. Every so often, I tune the uke and then I turn off the tuner and set it down somewhere.

It's not just a battery problem on the non-rechargeables? The Snark is my favorite. It's large, and it responds quickly. I have a dozen tuners, but they keep hiding from me. The 2032 batteries keep dying, so I carry spares. My Kala is still working - on the original charge - after four months.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Try one of these. No batteries required and no moving parts.

41zhc3qJysL._SL1000_.jpg
    Funny, I actually was considering a tuning fork at one time. Then a guitar player mentioned that it is kind of a pain to hold it, strum and tune at the same time.

For me, one of the reasons playing ukulele at this age has been doable is the fact that these little tuners exist. I certainly wish I had perfect pitch.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like I am abusing my tuners or they aren’t making them the way they used to.

Thread Information