Before I glue on the top and bottom?

Steve-atl

Reaction score
I am assembling a StewMac Baritone Ukulele kit. I am getting close to gluing on the top and bottom. Looking at the braces they are big and bulky and certainly do not taper to paper thin at the ends. Should I spend time thinning these out a little?

Anything else I should do before gluing the top and bottom on.

Thanks

Attachments

• braces.jpg
    braces.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 78
What am i looking at?
back, top?

This just happens to be on my bench right now. There is certainly more than one good way to do it but it'll give you an idea of the general approach that many builders follow.

45619184544_8e2ce60453.jpg

This just happens to be on my bench right now. There is certainly more than one good way to do it but it'll give you an idea of the general approach that many builders follow.

45619184544_8e2ce60453.jpg

Man, that is beautiful. How do you not have any glue squeeze out anywhere

Because he's the MASTER.

Seriously, check out Beau's website.

Over time, you learn how much of a film to spread in a given situation so there are maybe some tiny bits of glue that squeeze out. Then wait long enough before scraping the little beads so that they pop right out rather than smearing. For this, I use a popsicle stick that has a chisel blade cut across the stick at an angle. Eventually, your screwup to success ratio will improve. ;)

Last edited:
Over time, you learn how much of a film to spread in a given situation so there are maybe some tiny bits of glue that squeeze out. Then wait long enough before scraping the little beads so the they pop right out rather than smearing. For this, I use a popsicle stick that has a chisel blade cut across the stick at an angle. Eventually, your screwup to success ratio will improve. ;)

That is very impressive

Anything else I should do before gluing the top and bottom on.

Thanks

I don't spend that much time scalloping the back braces. I just sand them to make them look pretty. These braces are mainly for structural purposes and do not contribute much to the sound in my opinion. Then there is always some adjustment so that the ends of the braces don't interfere with the linings. One has to decide if you are going to attach the ends of the back braces through the linings and to the side. I don't do that anymore, but just stop them short of the linings. Your choice.

The top braces however are a different kettle of fish as they do contribute to the sound of the instrument. I scallop them and shave them down to what seems to be the minimum needed to be structurally strong, but light so there is a minimum of top damping. This is where the art of lutherie really comes in and it is a matter of feel. I do not claim to be an expert in this area and there is some voodoo here. Don't worry too much about it. The braces with your kit have been pretty much roughly pre-shaped. Just scallop them more and dress them up and you will be fine. As for glue squeeze out: don't over glue and clean up any squeeze out immediately. Go back later and clean any blebs with a sharp tool. Oh and keep in mind that some of the best sounding instruments of all time had horrible squeeze out. Its an obsessive thang. I'm obsessive. (See Weissenborn).

I don't spend that much time scalloping the back braces. I just sand them to make them look pretty. These braces are mainly for structural purposes and do not contribute much to the sound in my opinion. Then there is always some adjustment so that the ends of the braces don't interfere with the linings. One has to decide if you are going to attach the ends of the back braces through the linings and to the side. I don't do that anymore, but just stop them short of the linings. Your choice.

The top braces however are a different kettle of fish as they do contribute to the sound of the instrument. I scallop them and shave them down to what seems to be the minimum needed to be structurally strong, but light so there is a minimum of top damping. This is where the art of lutherie really comes in and it is a matter of feel. I do not claim to be an expert in this area and there is some voodoo here. Don't worry too much about it. The braces with your kit have been pretty much roughly pre-shaped. Just scallop them more and dress them up and you will be fine. As for glue squeeze out: don't over glue and clean up any squeeze out immediately. Go back later and clean any blebs with a sharp tool. Oh and keep in mind that some of the best sounding instruments of all time had horrible squeeze out. Its an obsessive thang. I'm obsessive. (See Weissenborn).

Thanks

I wish I had not ran the ends of the back braces through the linings and to the side. It turnnd out ugly

OK, clearly not as good ass saltytri but not horrible either. The next one will be better

Attachments

• back and sides .jpg
    back and sides .jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 65
i used to tuck my back braces into the linings with 2mm thick brace ends. My back brace ends now tuck into the linings at 5mm thick.
DO whatever thickness you want as it makes little difference, just TUCK THEM INTO THE LININGS

I have repaired at least 3 cheap ukuleles with cracks in the tops or backs right where the brace ends short of the linings, one brace was about 20 mm short...if the brace ends tuck into the linings this problem goes away.

About The long center back brace and the side linings.... how do you make them, or where can they be purchased? I don’t see them on Stewmac... thanks!

I have repaired at least 3 cheap ukuleles with cracks in the tops or backs right where the brace ends short of the linings, one brace was about 20 mm short...if the brace ends tuck into the linings this problem goes away.

WHat timbuck said,
Also, it minimises the back brace (really any brace) from popping off.

Those pics one page one where of David INgalls uke (i think?- i get confused with everyone's strange UU names)
This is one of mine
31945540_1696959370392769_6509143123157843968_n.jpg

Last edited:
OK, clearly not as good ass saltytri but not horrible either. The next one will be better

Looks good Steve. My only thought is that the linings look a little thin if you are planning on installing bindings. Oh, and bindings are not obligatory. Many a fine looking uke do not have bindings.

Looks good Steve. My only thought is that the linings look a little thin if you are planning on installing bindings. Oh, and bindings are not obligatory. Many a fine looking uke do not have bindings.

Thanks John.

I was going to try and install some binding but maybe I will wait until the next one. Thanks for the heads up

Top Bottom