It's all in the uke.

Rllink

Reaction score
I broke my good uke a few months ago and I got a new one to replace it. The old one was solid mahogany. It was a very nice ukulele, it had a nice tone to it, but it was not particularly loud. The new uke is solid myrtle sides and back, solid cedar top. It is loud. That's good, I play outside a lot and I need something loud. That is what I was looking for and I certainly got it in this uke. So last night I went to the Vinyl Grind for open mic. It is just a hole in the wall basement combination coffee shop and record store. The max occupancy is probably thirty people, if that. All acoustic, no amps. I've played there before. I love the atmosphere. Always a good crowd with standing room only.

So played my two songs, third up. I felt pretty good about them. I got some enthusiastic applause. When I talked to my wife later she said that the uke was so loud that I was really belting the songs out to get over the top of it. She said that they sounded good, probably the best I've ever sounded. I zone out and don't see the crowd, but she said that they were really getting into it. Who would think that the ukulele would make such a difference in the singing. I just thought that was interesting.

Sounds like you had a great outing, R.L. !! Good job !! And I think you're right, it's easier to deliver good vocals if you don't feel like you're fighting to get decent volume out of your uke. It seems like the louder uke forces us to kick up our vocal output just a notch, and I always seem to sing a little more confidently when I know I have to just let 'er fly !!

Hmmmm.....new uke solid myrtle and cedar!!! Don't remember a NUD, don't remember you even mentioning it until now. Maybe I missed the memo. We need pictures :p

That is enough badgering for now. Congratulations on the new instrument, it sounds wonderful, pun intended. That's great it forced you belt out the lyrics and give a good performance. The quality of sound from a uke does make a difference. Well done.

Hmmmm.....new uke solid myrtle and cedar!!! Don't remember a NUD, don't remember you even mentioning it until now. Maybe I missed the memo. We need pictures :p

That is enough badgering for now. Congratulations on the new instrument, it sounds wonderful, pun intended. That's great it forced you belt out the lyrics and give a good performance. The quality of sound from a uke does make a difference. Well done.
Post #36.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?136523-Black-Friday-Sales/page4

One just doesn't know how it is going to work until you take it out and play it in whatever venue that you play, so I was anxious to put it to the test. I'm happy with it. Definitely don't have to work to get some volume out of it. With my old one the uke could get lost unless it was amplified and that was always something else to think about while playing. I could tell by the lead-in last night that this one was not going to get lost. It gets everyone's attention.

Last edited:
Post #36.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?136523-Black-Friday-Sales/page4

One just doesn't know how it is going to work until you take it out and play it in whatever venue that you play, so I was anxious to put it to the test. I'm happy with it. Definitely don't have to work to get some volume out of it. With my old one the uke could get lost unless it was amplified and that was always something else to think about while playing. I could tell by the lead-in last night that this one was not going to get lost. It gets everyone's attention.

Thanks for the link Rolli, beautiful instrument. I am glad you stepped up in price and performance. With all the playing and singing you do you deserve and will put it to good use.

Top Bottom