Fact or fiction

Loveiz

Reaction score
Why do people say a Ukulele set with a lower action is easier to play why is that?

If we define "lower action" to mean that the strings sit a little closer to the fretboard, then generally folks would agree that it'll be easier to press the strings down when we play a uke with a fairly low action. So it's easier to play in the sense that we don't have to exert so much force to sound a note (or you could say to "fret" a note). Does that make sense?

Most of the "easier to play" results from the height of the strings at the nut end of the fretboard. It can be unreasonably difficult to press the strings down to play, say, a Bb chord, if there is more clearance over the first fret than is strictly necessary. Most inexpensive ukes would benefit from some attention to the nut. The saddle height is important, too, but get the nut right and you will notice a big difference.

John Colter.

Thanks Bill, and John
Yes it makes sense.
I Now have Concert from new which measures 3mm on the 12th fret.
The nut seems ok in that if I press the string close to the 3rd fret the gap on the 1st fret is fractionly more than a piece of paper. But was thinking the 3mm end is high.

Last edited:
Yup, that sounds about right for the nut. Three mil at the twelfth is not terribly high. It could go lower, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it if you are not having a problem. Lowering the saddle can affect the volume - adversely, that is.

John Colter.

I bought a used uke where intonation was not great, but with a bit of saddle work intonation is now fine. But the action is now too low for comfortable play as my strumming hand knocks against the fretboard. Also, I think the uke lost some of its volume. So low action can have some drawbacks.

I bought a used uke where intonation was not great, but with a bit of saddle work intonation is now fine. But the action is now too low for comfortable play as my strumming hand knocks against the fretboard. Also, I think the uke lost some of its volume. So low action can have some drawbacks.

Excellent point, Merlin. Those two "not-so-good" factors are why Mim, for instance, always says that her set-up preference is to get it kind of medium to medium-low, but not "crazy low". In particular, having the strumming hand knocking against the fretboard gets old real fast.

Thanks Bill, and John
Yes it makes sense.
I Now have Concert from new which measures 3mm on the 12th fret.
The nut seems ok in that if I press the string close to the 3rd fret the gap on the 1st fret is fractionly more than a piece of paper. But was thinking the 3mm end is high.

I wouldn't be happy with a nut that high. When fretted at the 3rd I want the clearance at the 1st so low that I can't be sure I can see a gap, but i can feel there is one if i press the string onto the 1st.

You can really feel the difference when playing on the lower frets.

3mm at the 12th is fine until you want to play further up the neck. I find 2.5mm is a nice compromise between easy fingering and being able to strum vigorously without buzzing.

I agree that 2.5 mm at the 12th fret makes for a good situation. As a guideline, I try to remember that a nickel is just slightly less than 2 mm thick (1.95 mm to be exact); so if you slide a nickel across the tops of the 11th and 12th frets (underneath the strings), you should still have to press the strings down ever-so-slightly before they actually touch the nickel, and if that's the case, chances are you're at approximately 2.5 mm string height. (On the other hand, if the strings are so low that they hold the nickel in place, chances are the action is in "too low" territory.) I realize that all of this is not real precise, but it may give us a good idea as to whether or not we're "in the ballpark" on our string height.

Excellent point, Merlin. Those two "not-so-good" factors are why Mim, for instance, always says that her set-up preference is to get it kind of medium to medium-low, but not "crazy low". In particular, having the strumming hand knocking against the fretboard gets old real fast.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Mim?

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Mim?

Ukulele dealer supreme, based in Virginia. Darn good player, too. Operates her store from an out building at her home. Sells on Reverb and through her website.

No problem at all, Jim! As Hendulele indicated, Mim is one of the popular ukulele dealers ("Mim's Ukes"), and has a solid reputation for doing a nice setup on each uke that she sells. I have bought a few from her, and I do so with great confidence. She is one of many well-respected dealers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom