Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat blanket

Default Heat blanket

What heat blanket do you recommend? Thank you!
    My uke family:

Magic Fluke Firefly
    Martin 0 (1950s)
    LoPrinzi Mahogany Soprano
    Sailor Brand Spruce Tenor
    Mya Moe Myrtlewood Tenor

I am interested also

I do sell them, but truthfully I'm not sure they are any better than the cheap Chinese ones on eBay. I've never used one of those, but they are a lot cheaper. Mine are U.S. made and cost a lot more. I can attest to them lasting a long time, but maybe the Chinese ones do too. Main thing with blanket life is how you treat the blankets. Never let them run without a heat sink, which is what the mold becomes. Don't clamp tightly directly onto the blanket. I get many years of constant use out of each one. --Bob/Pegasus Guitars & Ukuleles

I have one from Bob and can say it was worth every penny and I much prefer give him my cash as he is a great guy....... besides shopping "local" just makes sense to me....

What other vendor of anything is going to say what he just said???? He is very knowledgeable, humble and a great asset to the overall community.....

BTW: He has some great wood as well so you might as well get a set or two with combined shipping while you are at it.....

Make sure you get a 6" wide one so you can bend both sides and once.
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

Thanks for the kind words guys. 6" width is an option, but not always the best for everyone. It's a personal choice.I work with a lot of curly wood and working 1 side at a time with a 4" wide blanket works best for me. For cutaways, a 4" blanket is almost mandatory. When you are bending wood binding by itself, a smaller blanket is also easier to work with. I sell both sizes about equally, so obviously there are many advocates for 4" and 6" blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardin View Post
    BTW: He has some great wood as well so you might as well get a set or two with combined shipping while you are at it.
    Yes! Everything I've bought from Bob has been superior. All koa is way expensive and if you're going to spend the money you might as well buy it from someone who knows what he's doing and gives you good value.

I have access to an LMI heating blanket but the socket is strange and doesn't look like it works with the controller suggested above and the controller available from LMI is expensive!
    My uke family:

Magic Fluke Firefly
    Martin 0 (1950s)
    LoPrinzi Mahogany Soprano
    Sailor Brand Spruce Tenor
    Mya Moe Myrtlewood Tenor

I guess that gets into the other bit of it...The controller.....
    The LMI type are awfully tempting with those fancy digital read outs etc.and if you can afford one ...well more power to ya.....
    I went the cheap yet effective route and plugged mine into a router speed controller which then goes through a timer (just in case) before plugging into the outlet.
    I then use a digital thermometer to watch the temps as I go and I can adjust the temps on the speed-controller.
    Hope this helps....

Thread Information