Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to date my Martin S1

Default Trying to date my Martin S1

Dear UU folks, I have the fortunate opportunity to own a Martin S1 last week. So far, it’s hard to put it down. Haha..

As much as I’m intrigued with its tone and playability, I’m also interested to find out more on its birth year. The serial of mine is 3451 which I supposed is an earlier model since its first release in mid 2011 (I gathered).

I couldn’t find any source that can directly show the dating of the Martin Ukuleles (Mexico made, not the vintage). Hence, I’m posting this if anyone can provide some information on it or point me to some links.

So far, this is what I have noticed after comparing the many Google images.

Mine:
    Serial: 3451
    Fretboard and Bridge: either rosewood or Morado (I’m leaning on rosewood)
    Tuner: no Grover label on the pegs
    String Orientation: G and A string are stringed on the “wrong” side

I’m suspecting mine to be in 2012-2013 period.

The newer serial number has hit the 17,xxx already. again, google info.
    The newer fretboard and bridge is Sipo.
    The new tuner has Grover label on the pegs.
    The strings for G and A are stringed in the correct direction (for serial in 17,xxx).

Greatly appreciated if anyone can provided some more clues. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by AustinHing; 12-17-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

I tried to get info on my Martin SO from CFMartin and the word from them was that they do not keep track of serial numbers and there was no way to put a date to the uke from the serial number . Doesnt make sense to me , why have a serial number if you dont do anything with it? You could check with Martin customer service but you will most likely get the
    answer I got.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    I tried to get info on my Martin SO from CFMartin and the word from them was that they do not keep track of serial numbers and there was no way to put a date to the uke from the serial number . Doesnt make sense to me , why have a serial number if you dont do anything with it? You could check with Martin customer service but you will most likely get the
    answer I got.
    Thanks for your answer, Pete! I guess the serial is mainly for warranty purposes and would likely be a dead end for me too. Hence, I’m trying to draw conclusions based on the other Mexico Martin uke owners information such as serial and other details like the label on the tuners etc.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Sounds like your uke is strung for a left handed player if the G and A are on the "wrong" side. If it has a serial number it is a newer one.

I’ve seen some uke’s I would like to have tried to date, but I’m married, so all I can do is look

Quote Originally Posted by bukeh View Post
    I’ve seen some uke’s I would like to have tried to date, but I’m married, so all I can do is look
    Hahahahahahaha!! Good one!!

Oh, also, Patrick, I think that "wrong side" reference is to the fact that the G and A strings are placed upon their respective tuning posts "from the outside" rather than "from the inside", perhaps on the theory that doing so keeps them in a little straighter line as they run toward their post...?

Austin, I got an S-1 in January of 2016, from Musician's Friend. It was new, but I guess it's hard to know how long it had been in their inventory before I purchased it. But if it's of any help, the serial number is 12925.

I think you're right Bill. Ya never know though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    answer I got.
    Well, they could learn a thing or two from Ken Timms, with fields for day, month & year, then they could have a four digit field for which number it was coming off the line that day
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bukeh View Post
    Dang! As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I raced to be the first to put up a reply similar to the one above. I was REALLY bummed to see that I was too late, but good one, bukeh!

Thread Information