Trying to date my Martin S1

Before we go further into the serial tagging, I believe that the serial incrementing logic is not always based on the total ukes produced. Or at least true in the case of the S-0 Uke. There is serial 5,402 for a S-0 in year 1998 or 99. In a review of S-1 Uke in 2011, the reviewed S-1's serial is 1100. So how is it possible to have a smaller serial number in 2011 than in 1998? It seems to me that Martin is trying to disown S-0 Uke by rebooting the serial number?

Source for above regarding S-0 serial information:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?21708-Martin-SO-serial-numbers-HELP

Source for above regarding S-1 review in 2011:
https://ukeeku.com/2011/06/17/martin-s1-full-review/

In the case of the backpacker uke, there are very limited sources on its serial information. The backpacker uke had its run from 1997 to 2006 and the only serial that I could find is 56,314. This number is wayyy bigger than the latest S-1 serial (19,xxx) listed in sweetwater! I'm suspecting the backpacker uke serial is lumped together with the Mexico made guitars.

Source for above on the backpacker uke:
https://reverb.com/item/3401533-martin-backpacker-ukulele-w-gig-bag-solid-mahogany-body-rare-37732

So, with an early serial #, I'd say yours is a 2011...

That's what I'm suspecting too. But to produce a quantity of at least ~3k pieces of the S1 ("for the new kid on the block to save the bad rep of S-0") within its debut year, along with other well established instruments, is quite a substantial number.. but then, I know nuts about running a business!

(Side note: my S1's serial is 3451.)

I was talking to someone that works at the martin Mexico factory, she also said there should be a date stamped on the booklet that came with the uke, but was unable to give any info on the serial numbers

This is an amazing information, Dan! Cos some companies most probably just pack the booklet, regardless of the print year, with their product. If Martin Mexico factory does match the booklet print year with the instrument that is produced in the same year, then this can be a very useful way of dating your martin uke.

And if true, I'm most probably owns the first year S-1 based on my booklet dated as 2011!

Austin, I'm afraid I've long since misplaced my "care and feeding" booklet, so unfortunately I can't be of much help on that. In my own case, I don't think my S1 will ever be of much value to anyone but me, as I have committed that most unthinkable offense of replacing the original friction tuners with a set of black-buttoned geared Grovers. To be sure, the original friction tuners were just fine, but I just really like being able to quickly and confidently tweak that tuning, and I find that I'm better able to do that with the geared tuners. And honestly, I think they actually look pretty decent...

That's not a problem at all and thank you for your information, Bill!
I think geared tuners look fine too! I like the black tuners. Its subtle and white would be a tad bit too loud, for me at least.

Mine is a keeper too, but I'm okay with the friction tuners although they are not turning like butter. In fact, quite the opposite! But not a deal breaker for me, as there's something about the sound or noise it makes. Haha.

On a side note, I have the opportunity to play the Kamaka concert HF-2D2I and Koaloha Concert KCM-00 for the very first time, just a month ago. They are great great amazing ukes, but they just sounded a little less lively and less pronouced when compared to my Martin C1K, at least to me. Of course, the Kamaka is strung with the original black strings which left much to be desired. And I immediately thought what a gem (C1K) I'm actually owning. I reminded myself that this Martin is a Mexico made, production line uke versus hand crafted Hawaiian top quality uke! With that thought, I remembered that lonely S1 in that music store I visited some time ago which sounded sweeter (in a different way) than my C1K! I made a beeline to the store and the rest is history. haha. Sorry for the rant.

Also...
I do think that your S1 (serial 12,925) is made in 2015 as you mentioned you bought it in Jan 2016. I calculated by using the current S1 (serial 19,543) on sale now in Sweetwater, with the assumption of it being made in 2018. The maths for your uke year is: 2011 + ( 12, 925 / ( 19543 / 8 )) = ~2016.

(Note: 8 is the total years since 2011.)

But given that no way you can have your uke in Jan 2016 unless the good people in the Mexico factory work through the holidays. Hence, your S1 is most likely to be made in 2015. Again, just as a reference only.

Top Bottom