Tinnitus scare

Timbuck

Reaction score
For two nights this week I've not had much sleep due to a ringing sound in my head it was a pulsating high pitch nose and it was coming and going as I drifted in and out of sleep in the morning it was gone...I had read all about Tinnitus and how sufferers had to put up with it as there was no cure, and as i do have hearing problems and wear double hearing aids I thought that I had now succumbed to it :(...and last night it was really bad in the end I had to get up and switch on the bedside light... And then I made a discovery... on a shelf built in the bed headboard I spotted Mrs T's hearing aid (She is deaf as well) and realised that it was still switched on :uhoh: and the sound the sound was coming from that :wallbash: She had been forgetting to switch it off at night ....So tonight I hope I can get some serious shut eye and get back to dreaming about bending mahogany again,

OMG. Make sure your wife doesn't find Mrs. T's hearing aid!!! :rolleyes:

I've developed Tinnitus recently. I found that I can replicate it using three frequencies from a tone generator online. 8,124hz + 4,052hz + 9,122hz. Now, here is the odd thing of it. If I listen to that tone generator apparently the tinnitus goes away for little while. It does come back. But, maybe I am onto something to help remedy it.

I have double hearing aids and tinnitus. Sometimes it is worse than other times, though it is always there.

My audiologist said there were things that made it worse: salt, stress, lack of sleep.

If I listen to that tone generator apparently the tinnitus goes away for little while. It does come back. But, maybe I am onto something to help remedy it.
I've read about that in the AARP magazine recently, apparently it is a remedy fo sorts. I'm fairly used to it after having it for years. I've recently cut back on salt, but I don't sleep well because of being overweight, which causes me mild sleep apnea. Not being diligent enough watching my diet, but between tinnitus and the reality that it could lead to diabetes, I have to work on it.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

When I started wearing hearing aids, my tinnitus lessened considerably. I told my audiologist that I had it, and she set up the HAs to dampen or cover it.

I still hear the hissing noise, but, if my surroundings are moderately noisy, the tinnitus goes away.

Last edited:
I've suffered from this for years. Just learned to live with it. The worse is at night when trying to go to sleep....if I don't have some kind of background noise I go crazy.

So tonight I hope I can get some serious shut eye and get back to dreaming about bending mahogany again,

Hopefully no more nightmares or breaking it!

I have had tinnitus in the right ear for about 10 years. It was brought on by a sinus and ear infection. I started playing again in a big band in September and that has aggravated my hearing problem, sitting in front of the brass section. I am now playing with foam ear plugs which of course makes it more challenging to blend, play in tune and feel the pulse of the band, but the alternative is to just not play.

I have had tinnitus in both ears since I was twenty-five years old - that's fifty-five years! It was caused mainly by racing two-stroke motorcycles without any form of hearing protection. Using a twelve bore shotgun from the age of fifteen didn't help.

I've got so used to ignoring it that I now hardly notice it. The hearing loss is impossible to ignore. My hearing is actually better than average (for my age) in the lower register, but the top end is practically non-existent. Birdsong is a long lost pleasure, and I cannot hear the upper octave of a piano. It's weird listening to piano music. As the players hands go further to the right, I end up not hearing the notes, but I can still hear the clacking of the mechanism.

If only we had known about the need for hearing protection back in the early 1960s.

John Colter.

I've had tinnitus for about five years it came on suddenly and was very frightening at first. It's a constant high pitch both sides. Thank the lord lve managed to adjust to it. Like you 'ukantor' I think the use of shotgun without protection prob caused it.

'Taylordb' I know what you mean, I use an old wind up beside clock and have that close to the bed it's helped a lot just hearing the ticking.

Last edited:
I had a funny incident about 10 years ago I was talking to my daughter about something having to due with a high pitch noise and I said to her...."Well, you know that high pitch noise you hear when everything is silent?"....She just stared at me. It was then that discovered I had it. Had it for so long I thought that was the sound of silence! Most times I don't notice it until I'm talking about it. Then it is SCREAMING in there! I balanced the decibels one time on an online thingy. It was pretty high pitched but don't remember the numbers.

Riding down the road at 100kph/60mph on the motorbike the tinitus is audible. It's particularly loud right now. Of course, until I read this thread I hadn't noticed it. :)

Does anyone have tinnitus on one side only? Especially you guys who raced motorcycles? Mine is only on one side and may have something to do with my Trigeminal Neuralgia. But, if anyone else has it on one side only maybe it's not the disease. I also did a lot of shooting and worked in a machine shop.

I raced on the British circuits for seven years in the 1960s. My tinnitus affects both my ears. The right hand side might be slightly worse that the left, but the difference is small. I would guess that having it much worse on one side would make it more difficult to cope with. And, in my case, coping with it is the best you can hope for. Nothing helps, there is no cure. As I type this I am very much aware of the buzzing/ringing/roaring, because I'm thinking about it. Normally I just ignore it.

All the best to you, cyber3d.

John Colter.

I've had it since the early 70's , I always say it was from seeing/hearing Blue Cheer at the Psychedelic Supermaket doing "Summertime Blues" . Loudest band I ever heard.

I probably got it from work , no hearing protection back then. It is always there , sometimes real loud , but my brain seems to ignore it most of the time.
I can hear it now that youve reminded me that it is there.

Last edited:
I always say it was from seeing/hearing Blue Cheer at the Psychedelic Supermaket doing "Summertime Blues" . Loudest band I ever heard..

This is such a coincidence Pete because I too have blamed part of my tinnitus and hearing loss on seeing the very same group! Blue Cheer played very loud and I was stage front and center. My ears rang for weeks. Louder even than Spinal Tap who everybody knows is Britain's loudest rock band.

Top Bottom